Reload this Page >

Growing stuff in Brisbane

Wikiposts

Growing stuff in Brisbane

Old Aug 12th 2003, 8:18 am
Just Joined

gdad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Growing stuff in Brisbane

I'm a fruit growing gardener(still in the UK) but planning retirement in Australia somewhere, but I want to continue my hobby.
What can I grow in Brisbane or Perth?
Old Aug 12th 2003, 8:31 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default Growing fruit trees/bushes

I d'ont think they,the Gov like any private fruit growers due to control of pests.I'm sure if you search the net you will find the information you need.I will ask my farmer cousin next time i'm in touch with them. Got job interview tomorrow and someones coming to look at the house. yafm's other half.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

pabloako is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Growing stuff in Brisbane

I can just about tell the difference between an apple and an orange, but I found this so I hope it helps.

http://www.growinglifestyle.com.au/h...ble/index.html
Old Aug 12th 2003, 12:59 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Growing stuff in Brisbane

Originally posted by gdad
I'm a fruit growing gardener(still in the UK) but planning retirement in Australia somewhere, but I want to continue my hobby.
What can I grow in Brisbane or Perth?
Brisbane:

Bananas (very common in most gardens... easy to grow.. but tend to need chopping back sometimes)
Passion fruit... they are almost like a weed, I have wild ones trailing up the bush at my back garden... I'm not quite sure if they are a native or an escaped plant

Strawberries

Olives

Oranges

Mangos

You name it - you can grow it.

There are a few native fruit as well which you can grow.. can't remember the names of them.

If you walk around somewhere like "Bunnings" garden centre they sell most of the fruit trees.

I haven't tried growing these myself, I've been in rental houses up till now... but I'll be giving it a go too once I get my garden landscaped. I've only just built a home... so I'm living with a undeveloped garden at the moment.

The only things I have grown have been in pots on balconies... tomatoes (easy to grow) , strawberries, chillies plant and various herbs... all easy to grow.

But anyway, most fruit trees can be grown here... you need to ask "Dotty" she has mentioned that she grows fruit trees on her property here in Brisbane (it's a holiday here today... so she's probably won't be on here today... I'm the only dull b who seems to be in work... no rest for the wicked! )

cheers

P.S to yafm... the rule here is you can't carry fruit into queensland from NSW ... just in case it's carrying pests... and vice versa.

But there is absolutely no prob growing fruit here.