Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Grocery shopping prices?!?!?!

Grocery shopping prices?!?!?!

Old Oct 27th 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of
Default Grocery shopping prices?!?!?!

Like many of my fellow BE members I was interested in the cost of living there. So I went to the woolworths homeshopping site and wrote down some every day products.
I've converted the aus$$'s into Euros€€, and UK£££
so now we can all compare prices when we go shopping next.
I found that more than 80% is still cheaper there than here in Belgium.
Only booze is more expensive. except wine due to the 3ltr caskets

And NO I don't live off beans and booze
Attached Files
File Type: xls
ozzie supermarket.xls (24.5 KB, 189 views)
Old Oct 27th 2007, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

GaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really nice
Default Re: Grocery shopping prices?!?!?!

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
Like many of my fellow BE members I was interested in the cost of living there. So I went to the woolworths homeshopping site and wrote down some every day products.
I've converted the aus$$'s into Euros€€, and UK£££
so now we can all compare prices when we go shopping next.
I found that more than 80% is still cheaper there than here in Belgium.
Only booze is more expensive. except wine due to the 3ltr caskets

And NO I don't live off beans and booze
So why do a lot of people on BE complain that it costs more to food shop in Oz than the UK?

Is it because wages are less in Oz or expectation of cheaper prices is higher before they get there?

Someone would have to go out to Tesco's and directly compare prices to make this a valid comparison though. I reckon if you shopped frugally in the UK, you could easily shop cheaper, but you can probably shop cheaper out in Oz if you choose your shops more carefully. It's got to be similar to everywhere else where competition exists for customers, deals will be there to be had every so often.

Will Australia ever see the supermarket wars like we have here in the Uk and over in America (and France). Tesco, versus Sainsburys versus Morrisons versus Asda/Walmart, etc???
Old Oct 27th 2007, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - very interesting!

Bananas are very expensive compared to the UK and the Hardys Chardonney is dearer too. Both surprise me!

However, I'm sure it is a case of swings and roundabouts. Some things are bound to be more expensive and some will be cheaper. I'm sure we can adjust our shopping habits accordingly. Perhaps we will be buying oranges rather than bananas!
Old Oct 27th 2007, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

Don't forget this is woolies, you also have the cheaper supermarkets like franklins, aldi etc etc.
I also picked the normal brands, and not homemade brands which were cheaper aswell.
Like all places, you can shop as cheaply as you want.
When we lived in spain I filled up a shopping trolley for 70€, here in belgium lucky to fill one with 150€. with roughly the same stuff.

I think that alot of people say costs of living is expensive there cause the wages aren't all too great.
It's like going to a restaurant. If your loaded your having the lobster and champers, but if your watching the pennies your having something alot less dearer, and a jug of ice water

I will be watching this thread carefully to see if anyone can come up with a comparrison.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=GaryKristensen;5476676]

So why do a lot of people on BE complain that it costs more to food shop in Oz than the UK?

QUOTE]

Because it does not matter what food costs in belgium or Uk or ...... Once you live in aus you earn aussie dollars. Food in relation to wages seems extortinate.

You also have the shock of realising the total lack of competion in many markets. Food - 2 huge players under a few names leads to price fixing, rorting and weekly price rises. Add drought which leads to some genuine price problems, plus a country reluctant to import much, and when it does import from its very cheap asian neighbours just mark it up to aussie rip off prices anyway.

Plus the australlan public now seem horrified at the price of food, but you just keep getting more and more warnings like fruit and veg to soar 500%, probably will too if the supermarkets get their way, really doubt the farmers see much of these price rises at all.

Shopping around, markets etc helps, assuming people have the time, great fun to spend half your weekend sourcing cheaper food if you both work.

Last edited by jad n rich; Oct 27th 2007 at 9:26 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Because it does not matter what food costs in belgium or Uk or ...... Once you live in aus you earn aussie dollars. Food in relation to wages seems extroadinarily high.

Thats what we( BE members who rn't there yet) are trying to work out. It's pretty frightening when alot of posters are mentioning food being expensive and all.
I just wanted to point out that it's not that expensive, but yes if you look at the wages then yeah a good proportion of you salary would go to it. But like i said earlier you can shop and spend as much as one wants to.
Like most countries one thing is more expensive than another, but other things make up for it. like petrol, free BBQ'S, outdoor living and the weather( probably the most important in my opinion)
Old Oct 27th 2007, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

If you want my opinion (sorry just winding Badge is back up) look for an ALDI. German supermarket trying to break into aus, its a bit rough looking - you know the sort of shop, cut open cartons stacked on the floor, odd brand names etc BUT half this stuff is made in australia and many things are half or a third of the price of the australian supermarket equivalent.

Theres not one round here ( too posh) but in norff brisbane theres loads we stock up, even taking a esky for cold stuff ( how naff D). EG Tea bags 99c coles charge $3 - $7.

The ones in norff brisbane are always full of poms mind you aldi does sell yorkshire pudds and jaffa cakes. I love it when you get aussies in there, perplexed looks and lots of suspicious "whats that then" full trolleys tho.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

GaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really nice

[QUOTE=jad n rich;5476759]
Originally Posted by GaryKristensen

QUOTE]

Because it does not matter what food costs in belgium or Uk or ...... Once you live in aus you earn aussie dollars. Food in relation to wages seems extortinate.

You also have the shock of realising the total lack of competion in many markets. Food - 2 huge players under a few names leads to price fixing, rorting and weekly price rises. Add drought which leads to some genuine price problems, plus a country reluctant to import much, and when it does import from its very cheap asian neighbours just mark it up to aussie rip off prices anyway.

Plus the australlan public now seem horrified at the price of food, but you just keep getting more and more warnings like fruit and veg to soar 500%, probably will too if the supermarkets get their way, really doubt the farmers see much of these price rises at all.

Shopping around, markets etc helps, assuming people have the time, great fun to spend half your weekend sourcing cheaper food if you both work.
I would have thought that doing some simple research about these things would help you to come to terms with the lifestyle in Oz more easily, instead of it all seeming to be a big shock that food was more expensive and you had fewer choices of supermarkets to shop in?

Maybe that's why many expats end up back in the UK? Very little idea of the environment they are moving to and unrealistic expectations?

We've certainly looked at the "more mundane" aspects of normal living and know what to expect in the area we are moving to. We'll not worry about how much we spend on the food we eat as it is one of our favourite past times!
Old Oct 27th 2007, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
If you want my opinion (sorry just winding Badge is back up) look for an ALDI. German supermarket trying to break into aus, its a bit rough looking - you know the sort of shop, cut open cartons stacked on the floor, odd brand names etc BUT half this stuff is made in australia and many things are half or a third of the price of the australian supermarket equivalent.

Theres not one round here ( too posh) but in norff brisbane theres loads we stock up, even taking a esky for cold stuff ( how naff D). EG Tea bags 99c coles charge $3 - $7.

The ones in norff brisbane are always full of poms mind you aldi does sell yorkshire pudds and jaffa cakes. I love it when you get aussies in there, perplexed looks and lots of suspicious "whats that then" full trolleys tho.
Nothing wrong with Aldi or Lidl. I often shop in them and use Sainsburys for the luxury stuff - which I can afford due to the money I save in Aldi on the basics!

Is there an Aldi in Adelaide?
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

Hi not sure if this will help but we sat down a few weeks ago and tried to come up with a 'formula' of how to compare prices and make sure we would live within our means in oz etc. after several hours we decided the best way was to use % of total monthly income and it did make some sense. ie say we currently spend £280 a month on food then worked out what % of our monthly income that was then looked at what our monthly income in oz would be and work on % again. Well it made sense to us when we did it!!!
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Nothing wrong with Aldi or Lidl. I often shop in them and use Sainsburys for the luxury stuff - which I can afford due to the money I save in Aldi on the basics!

Is there an Aldi in Adelaide?
Just had a look at the website, qld, vic, nsw act, quite surprised they only have 150 stores OZ wide, because I can think of 4 in north brisbane alone, mind you thats a super high growth area, supermarkets do mega research on where to put them.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tillysmum
Hi not sure if this will help but we sat down a few weeks ago and tried to come up with a 'formula' of how to compare prices and make sure we would live within our means in oz etc. after several hours we decided the best way was to use % of total monthly income and it did make some sense. ie say we currently spend £280 a month on food then worked out what % of our monthly income that was then looked at what our monthly income in oz would be and work on % again. Well it made sense to us when we did it!!!
That is a good system, called budgeting, meaning you only spend what you can afford to and it makes perfect sense
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Just had a look at the website, qld, vic, nsw act, quite surprised they only have 150 stores OZ wide, because I can think of 4 in north brisbane alone, mind you thats a super high growth area, supermarkets do mega research on where to put them.
I'll have to have a look at the website - doesn't sound like there's one in SA though!
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Whether you find groceries cheaper or not depends on a lot of factors incude wages (as mentioned), shopping mix, season, and arrival exchange rate.

On my recent trip to the UK I compared prices between Tescos and Safeways (Wollies) and a lot of the stuff that I buy came out cheaper here but I could see why with a different shopping mix it would be cheaper in the UK.

Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:59 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Sure sounds like things have changed since I left Oz! All I can remember from the past 5 years of living in the UK is that I cannot wait to get back to Oz were the cost of living was better?!

I found this site with average prices - not sure how relevant it is but there are alot of products listed to extrapolate more on the earlier list (although there are no conversions!)
http://grocery.bestpricedirectory.co...uce_c7088.html

When I left, the average weekly shop was $60-70 from Bilo (Coles was too expensive) and covered two people. Presuming prices have gone up some since I left in 2002, I still wouldn't think that the basis weekly shop for two would exceed $100 - £40ish which is the same as what I spend now.

Granted there are things here that are going to be cheaper than Oz (chocolate bars ) but I would think the old 'swings and roundabouts' comes into play again.
Perception plays alot into it - paying $2.50 for something when you're used to paying £.98 seems like you are spending more even though you're not.

I sure hope things haven't changed that much since I have been away
Regardless - I think the money I will be saving in rent each month (approx £350 less) will more than offset the possibly higher grocery prices

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.