Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Grocery List for comparison

Grocery List for comparison

Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Grocery List for comparison

Hi All,

This morning, I did a 'virtual shop' at http://www.fooddirect.com.au/ ... Pleae note that this is a Brisbane based shop, as this is where we hope to head for in the near future, and therefore prices will vary from other areas of Oz.

I wanted to compare, as best I could, a HUGE family shop (there are 5 of us - 2 adults and 3 kids) so I basically shopped as though it was the first shop we would do out there - I have to say I was VERY pleasantly surprised The list contained basic toiletries, house cleaning products, laundry stuff, canned food as well as a weeks food shopping for the family (all fresh). The total cost was AUD290.85 which equals GBP121.189

I have attached a copy of the shopping list (its a Word document), with prices and pack sizes. I hope this helps others.

Regards
Kari
P.S PLEEEEEZ can someone tell me what the abbreviation CBD stands for?? I see it alot on here - thanks
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grocery List for comparison

Hi Kari,

sounds like you are getting 'into' things and trying to utilise your 'pommie' time as much as possible!!! Good on 'ya!!!

CBD stands for 'Central Business District', i.e the city....

Your food bill sounds about right, we are a family of four ( in cairns ) and can spend up to $250 a week ( sometimes more if we have guests over....), food isn't all that cheap when you are earning aussie $$$ ( depending upon your salary to begin with, of course ), but I do think that the quality of the food, particularly the fruit and veg is far superior to that from the uk...

Good luck and best wishes,
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Hi Kari,

sounds like you are getting 'into' things and trying to utilise your 'pommie' time as much as possible!!! Good on 'ya!!!

CBD stands for 'Central Business District', i.e the city....

Your food bill sounds about right, we are a family of four ( in cairns ) and can spend up to $250 a week ( sometimes more if we have guests over....), food isn't all that cheap when you are earning aussie $$$ ( depending upon your salary to begin with, of course ), but I do think that the quality of the food, particularly the fruit and veg is far superior to that from the uk...

Yay!! Thanks, now I know what CBD stands for hehehe

I seem to be addicted to finding info at the moment (sound familiar anyone )

On average here I spend about GB£130 per week on shopping (approx AU$310), but that is for everything and I dont need to go shopping in between for milk, bread etc like some people, who tend to think my shopping bill is high, do!

Oz salary is questionable as hubby is an electrician and Ive no idea what the wages/job prospects are like for a self employed sparks in Qld (although I have been reading as many threads as poss on the subject here).

Thanks for the reply.
Take care
Kari
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:36 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Sounds about right. Our UK (London) shop was about £100-£140 a week and is now $200-$250 a week. We are also 2 adults and 3 kids. I think the first one was about $300 but that included buying things like spices and herbs and all those other things that hide in the pantry (cupboard).

Regards
Alistair
PS: The fruit and veg is more seasonal here so the prices can vary dramatically (e.g. grapes can vary from $2.50/kg to $12.90/kg depending on the time of the year). We have got back into seasonal buying.

Last edited by kirsty&al; Feb 20th 2005 at 10:38 am.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:37 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I had a look at the website - IMO most of the stuff on there is seriously overpriced for Brisbane .
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again!

if you are wondering what your fella might be earning as a sparky try:-

www.wagenet.gov.au

It's a good site for giving you the general gist of award ( i.e standard ) wage expectations from state to state....

Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I had a look at the website - IMO most of the stuff on there is seriously overpriced for Brisbane .

Great! That means our cost of living would be even lower No mortgage and reasonable grocery costs ... wooohooo!!!!
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Hello again!

if you are wondering what your fella might be earning as a sparky try:-

www.wagenet.gov.au

It's a good site for giving you the general gist of award ( i.e standard ) wage expectations from state to state....

Thanks for that link - its very useful.

Regards
Kari
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

No worries - just remember the karma button!!! Heh-heh!!!
Old Feb 20th 2005, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Just compared yesterday's weekly shopping at our local fruit barn, butcher and Coles, to virtual shopping on fooddirect.com.au, and have to agree with Mrs D that there is a significant price difference. Our shopping was about $120 for the week, but on fooddirect, it was nearly $200 for the same things. I tried to match the brand names when possible, otherwise chose the closest alternatives.

If you are doing a estimate based on the site, you should be happy to hear that it doesn't cost quite that much once you're over here! However having a generous budget isn't a bad thing. Just keep the change/savings and don't tell the hubbies!

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Feb 20th 2005, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

No worries - just remember the karma button!!! Heh-heh!!!

he he ... just found the 'Karma' button and used it

Thanks again
Kari
Old Feb 20th 2005, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Just compared yesterday's weekly shopping at our local fruit barn, butcher and Coles, to virtual shopping on fooddirect.com.au, and have to agree with Mrs D that there is a significant price difference. Our shopping was about $120 for the week, but on fooddirect, it was nearly $200 for the same things. I tried to match the brand names when possible, otherwise chose the closest alternatives.

If you are doing a estimate based on the site, you should be happy to hear that it doesn't cost quite that much once you're over here!

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
hehehe ... quote ... However having a generous budget isn't a bad thing. Just keep the change/savings and don't tell the hubbies! ..... definitely not much different from here then hehehehe
Old Feb 20th 2005, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

karma back 'atcha!!!

Shocked to hear that ripping off the hubbies, via the grocery bill is a worldwide epidemic and not just a pommie housewife thing!!!!
Old Feb 20th 2005, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

karma back 'atcha!!!

Shocked to hear that ripping off the hubbies, via the grocery bill is a worldwide epidemic and not just a pommie housewife thing!!!!
I've learned my Chinese and British culture well then! Traditionally Chinese wifes and maids/servants (for the wealthy families) are all very skilled in ripping off the man of the house! If I get caught, I would just say it's in my Chinese blood, and blame this forum for confirming that it's a Pommie thing too!

Mrs JTL
Old Feb 20th 2005, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

I am neither confirming, nor denying, any such activities, within my household

Will say this tho': I admire ya style!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.