Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Groceries - cheapest & dearest cities

Groceries - cheapest & dearest cities

Old Jul 11th 2003, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Groceries - cheapest & dearest cities

Choice magazine (Aussie equivalent of Which?) printed this month a table showing the average cost of their shopping basket (which contained a variety of products like milk, butter, baked beans, biscuits, dog food, toothpaste etc etc) and rated each city. There were too many cities to list here, but I've picked a few to give you an idea (cheapest first):

1) Newcastle $96.40
2) Adelaide $97.94
8) Brisbane $100.32
11) Sydney $101.07
14) Melbourne $101.78
17) Canberra $102.07
19) Darwin $102.42
20) Mandurah $102.48
21) Perth $102.95
23) Hobart $107.70

As far as the major chains were concerned, overall Coles were 1% cheaper than average, Action were average, Woolworths were 1% dearer than average and Dewsons 4% dearer than average. The German giant ALDI were 43% (!!) cheaper than average, but don't have such a wide grocery range and can only be found in NSW, ACT and Victoria.
Old Jul 11th 2003, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

We are 2 adults and 2 kids (one who eats everything in sight and one who doesn't eat anything)

Our average food shop is about $150. Then there is beer & wine on top of that so average $40025300563.00

Diane

Old Jul 11th 2003, 7:37 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Groceries - cheapest & dearest cities

Originally posted by Jacqui
Choice magazine (Aussie equivalent of Which?) printed this month a table showing the average cost of their shopping basket (which contained a variety of products like milk, butter, baked beans, biscuits, dog food, toothpaste etc etc) and rated each city. There were too many cities to list here, but I've picked a few to give you an idea (cheapest first):

1) Newcastle $96.40
2) Adelaide $97.94
8) Brisbane $100.32
11) Sydney $101.07
14) Melbourne $101.78
17) Canberra $102.07
19) Darwin $102.42
20) Mandurah $102.48
21) Perth $102.95
23) Hobart $107.70

As far as the major chains were concerned, overall Coles were 1% cheaper than average, Action were average, Woolworths were 1% dearer than average and Dewsons 4% dearer than average. The German giant ALDI were 43% (!!) cheaper than average, but don't have such a wide grocery range and can only be found in NSW, ACT and Victoria.

Love these bull figures double them and then add on take outs and bottle shop carry outs and you may get near the truth.
Perth was 21st in the food chain that does sound about right never top of any list apart from the dullest city on the planet ratings.

Old Jul 11th 2003, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by DianeOZ
We are 2 adults and 2 kids (one who eats everything in sight and one who doesn't eat anything)

Our average food shop is about $150. Then there is beer & wine on top of that so average $40025300563.00

Diane

Diane,

once again you made me lol!
I don't drink but I make up for no drink with shedloads of chocolate so I will prob have a large bill!
Old Jul 11th 2003, 10:33 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jacqui

1) Newcastle $96.40
2) Adelaide $97.94
8) Brisbane $100.32
11) Sydney $101.07
14) Melbourne $101.78
17) Canberra $102.07
19) Darwin $102.42
20) Mandurah $102.48
21) Perth $102.95
23) Hobart $107.70

the local markets here in adelaide you can cut that again , and get ffresh produce to boot...........
MM
Old Jul 11th 2003, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with Mr Mover (are you a dancer?) on the local markets. They are superb and as a professionally trained cook I would always go to the markets. Cheaper, fresher produce and you can get to know the traders and build up that important relationship thus ensuring you always get the best. Adelaide central market is excellent and rates with any market anywhere.

Cheers and happy eating.

Elaine
Old Jul 11th 2003, 11:25 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Went to a fruit market in Townsville....was amazing, i've never seen so many different types of fruit, and it was half the price of the coles just down the road.

We also bought a fair few crays (spiders (legs only )) direct from the fisherman when we were down south. Got very good deals by doing so too...
Old Jul 11th 2003, 8:10 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by Bella
Diane,

once again you made me lol!
I don't drink but I make up for no drink with shedloads of chocolate so I will prob have a large bill!

You will soon get over the chocoholics when you try australian chocolate Yuk
Old Jul 11th 2003, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Cantila is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi Pommie

These likely are not supposed to be an assessment of what one would spend each week on groceries, but rather the average cost of "a basket of goods". Its like the Big Mac economic theory.

Thanks for posting your average - that helps when figuring the real budget!
Old Jul 12th 2003, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by yafm
Unfortunately (or fortunately) my fridge will be full of Cherry Ripes

Beats english chocolate bars hands down.
Old Jul 12th 2003, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by yafm
I totally agree, the Aussie choc is disgusting - mind you the curly wurly wasn't too bad. My relatives have choc posted over from here!

Dawn
Old Jul 14th 2003, 1:42 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mr mover
the local markets here in adelaide you can cut that again , and get ffresh produce to boot...........
MM
The countries full of people only spending $50 a week on food , try nearer $200 and then some.

Old Jul 14th 2003, 3:29 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Prices also alter store to store in the Brisbane /south east queensland area. I used to shop at coles in cannon hill ( southside) - here , coles in redcliffe (northside)are more expensive than the store that I used to go to. it actually differs from area to area as well believe it or not.

Average shop for us (two adults and two cats) - $150 a week (usually around $138 some weeks - others $145 - some $155) without top up buying in the week (ie bread, milk etc etc) - and without booze of course.

cheers
Old Jul 14th 2003, 8:16 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard
The countries full of people only spending $50 a week on food , try nearer $200 and then some.

what the hell would you know PB YOU LIVE IN A TRIANGLE, orbital -home- old bailey, the queen of fife does all the shopping , i bet i could get you all you need for 100bucks at any market in adelaide , you forget you have lost the hunting instinct, and gone to pasture............ MM
Old Jul 14th 2003, 8:21 am
Banned

Originally posted by Ceri
Prices also alter store to store in the Brisbane /south east queensland area. I used to shop at coles in cannon hill ( southside) - here , coles in redcliffe (northside)are more expensive than the store that I used to go to. it actually differs from area to area as well believe it or not.

Average shop for us (two adults and two cats) - $150 a week (usually around $138 some weeks - others $145 - some $155) without top up buying in the week (ie bread, milk etc etc) - and without booze of course.

cheers
yes that works here in Adelaide, the manager walks out in the car park, counts the number of mercs, beamers, caprices, in the carpark , then adjusts the price accordingly....... MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.