griffith NSW

Old Feb 9th 2012, 8:54 am
Just Joined

morven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default griffith NSW

hi im new to this site and looking for some advice

my boyfriend is moving to griffith in the next couple of weeks - he is off to play football - i hope to join him in june but im really nervous ive looked on the internet and to be honest the place looks tiny compared to where im used to living and it looks as if there is not much there

just wondering if anyone has been or lives there - what is it like??

thanks in advance

morven
Old Feb 9th 2012, 8:57 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: griffith NSW

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/griffith-m...402-1csdc.html

Good Italian culture, food and the smokes are good.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 9:11 am
Just Joined

wow that makes me want to stay in scotland !!
Old Feb 9th 2012, 9:29 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks great to me. How are your horticultural skills? On the positive side there is good food and wine in the area.
Originally Posted by morven
wow that makes me want to stay in scotland !!
Old Feb 9th 2012, 9:40 am
Just Joined

ive read alot that the food is great so looking forward to that side of things however im not a wine drinker at all so it makes no odds to me
Old Feb 13th 2012, 2:15 am
Just Joined

darc is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Morven,

Griffith itself is about the same size as Elgin. The industry is based around Grapes, Oranges and Rice with 2 of Australia's biggest wineries within 10 miles.

The town itself isnt like any other I've been to in Oz with 65% of the population being Italian immigrants gives it a very european feel to it. The food is magnificent and the people are friendly.

I've been here for 8 years now and I was a bit unsure after doing my research but its got everything you need. I too came to play football and the people involved within the club made me feel part of the family and there are a few boys in the same boat. A guy I came out with is still here and 2 others have been here since 2005 all through football. Ok its not Sydney or Melbourne but its got everything you need and if you want to head to Sydney or Melbourne for a weekend or a few days you only have to jump on a plane or jump in the car.

If there is anything else you would like to know please do not hesitate to ask
Old Feb 13th 2012, 2:30 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Biggest weed growing area in Australia.

If he's into the buds he'll be laughing.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darc
Hi Morven,

The town itself isnt like any other I've been to in Oz with 65% of the population being Italian immigrants gives it a very european feel to it. The food is magnificent and the people are friendly

Totally agree , its the best town for food I have ever lived near or been to and that includes the cities. Bertoldo,s Bakery ( both of them ) need to franchise in Freemantle , then they would have top Italian cuisine .
It had an Indian supermarket on Kidman Way at the west end of town which was always good for a browse.

As for that SMH article its not very accurate , Hillston is 110 kms away - most Hillston Hemp was grown 40 kms upriver , so its hardly within 60kms of Griffith , they used to put the cows into the crops if the chopper was coming ( it was grown amongst maize ) if your ever seen what cattle do to a maize crop its pretty destructive.
Fun days !!!!

Last edited by mulben; Feb 13th 2012 at 3:10 am.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by darc
Hi Morven,

Griffith itself is about the same size as Elgin. The industry is based around Grapes, Oranges and Rice with 2 of Australia's biggest wineries within 10 miles.

The town itself isnt like any other I've been to in Oz with 65% of the population being Italian immigrants gives it a very european feel to it. The food is magnificent and the people are friendly.

I've been here for 8 years now and I was a bit unsure after doing my research but its got everything you need. I too came to play football and the people involved within the club made me feel part of the family and there are a few boys in the same boat. A guy I came out with is still here and 2 others have been here since 2005 all through football. Ok its not Sydney or Melbourne but its got everything you need and if you want to head to Sydney or Melbourne for a weekend or a few days you only have to jump on a plane or jump in the car.

thanks for the info - what team do you play for my boyfriend is going to play for yoogali - the nearer the time comes for me the more excited i get about coming i guess i really need to give it a go and see what is what and hopefully meet lots of people along the way - do you think it would be easy enough for me to pick up work - i will be on the working tourist visa ??

any other info would be great - ooh weather whats it like - keep in mind im arriving in june and abit worried im going to miss any hint of summer this year it will just be heating up in scotland and i will be off
Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Biggest weed growing area in Australia.

If he's into the buds he'll be laughing.
I reckon that would be under camouflage in Tassie.

The standard of Football is going to be suprisingly high I would guess. The Italians generally put a lot of money and effort into their local clubs. He'll be welcome as well as any outside influence in regards to football is usually seen as strengthening.

You could be heading for some very social times around Food and Football.

You'll get work via the people you meet. So be open to all at first.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 15th 2012 at 6:49 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:27 am
Just Joined

I'm happy to work wherever really just something to keep me busy and meet new people