Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Greensborough,Victoria - what's it like?

Greensborough,Victoria - what's it like?

Old Sep 30th 2006, 2:14 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Greensborough,Victoria - what's it like?

Hi all,

Just been looking at houses in this area and wondered if any of you guys in Melbourne could tell me what the area is like,if it's within decent travelling distance to the CBD,what areas of interest it's near,loccality to shops,eateries,fast food etc,etc and if it's considered to be a good area. We don't have kids so not worried about schools, but we have a dog so parklands or nice walks nearby would be good.
Can you offer any other help??

Cheers,
*pearly*
Old Oct 1st 2006, 10:30 am
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greensborough,Victoria - what's it like?

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hi all,

Just been looking at houses in this area and wondered if any of you guys in Melbourne could tell me what the area is like,if it's within decent travelling distance to the CBD,what areas of interest it's near,loccality to shops,eateries,fast food etc,etc and if it's considered to be a good area. We don't have kids so not worried about schools, but we have a dog so parklands or nice walks nearby would be good.

Cheers,
*pearly*

ANYONE???????????
Old Oct 1st 2006, 10:41 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

ANYONE???????????
You will probably be better asking this on Britvics.

I know there are a few members from over that area.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Have been there to get Australian driving licence as Vic Roads have an office there, and to drive through on way to airport. Seems pleasant enough and I've heard the shopping is good (cheap).

Last edited by flip; Oct 1st 2006 at 11:48 am.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 11:37 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Cheers,
*pearly*
Greensborough is a really nice family orientated suburb.
Shopping wise, Greensborough Plaza is a huge shopping centre with a multi screen cinema on the main street. Lot's of restaurants in the town centre as well including an excellent Italian one which I can't remember the name of?!?
The train station is at the bottom of the main street and is a direct line into the CBD.

If you want to get the tram into the city it's just a short drive along Grimshaw Street to Bundoora. The tram line there goes down the middle of Lower Plenty Road / Heidelberg Road etc, all the way into Melbourne.

Lots of other nice suburbs nearby as well.
Diamond Creek is nice, & pub wise, I can personally recommend A D Ryans, 69 Main Street, Diamond Creek, as one of my favourite pubs in Australia!
Excellent atmosphere, good beer, and the food is fantastic!

Hope this has helped.....
Old Oct 1st 2006, 2:41 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

Originally Posted by Scossie
Shopping wise, Greensborough Plaza is a huge shopping centre with a multi screen cinema on the main street. Lot's of restaurants in the town centre as well including an excellent Italian one which I can't remember the name of?!?
The train station is at the bottom of the main street and is a direct line into the CBD.

If you want to get the tram into the city it's just a short drive along Grimshaw Street to Bundoora. The tram line there goes down the middle of Lower Plenty Road / Heidelberg Road etc, all the way into Melbourne.

Diamond Creek is nice, & pub wise, I can personally recommend A D Ryans, 69 Main Street, Diamond Creek, as one of my favourite pubs in Australia!

Scossie et al,

That is all FAB info. Thanks a lot for taking the time to write it all down!!
Scossie, apart from Diamond Creek what other areas are nice and around there AND towards the CBD from Greensborough. It seems you get more house for your money out that way and yet it's still only a 40min train ride from Greensborough into the CBD ( according to Metlink )
Would you say it was a "well to do" kind of area?? We'd like to buy something in that kinda area if you know what I mean.
Thanks so much for your advice again guys,

*pearly*
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:42 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Scossie et al,

That is all FAB info. Thanks a lot for taking the time to write it all down!!
Scossie, apart from Diamond Creek what other areas are nice and around there AND towards the CBD from Greensborough. It seems you get more house for your money out that way and yet it's still only a 40min train ride from Greensborough into the CBD ( according to Metlink )
Would you say it was a "well to do" kind of area?? We'd like to buy something in that kinda area if you know what I mean.
Thanks so much for your advice again guys,

*pearly*
Hello Pearly,

Can't comment on Greensborough because I've never been there, but at least I can bump your thread!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:33 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Greensborough's not a bad little place. Close to the end of the western ring road and not far from the eastern freeway, close to 2 uni's and several shopping centres and a new one being built. It's also right at the edge of nature if you know what I mean and there are some lovely gorges around there and fairly close to the start of the great dividing range, not to mention the wine regions.
Bit too far from the beach for us though.

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Hello Pearly,

Can't comment on Greensborough because I've never been there, but at least I can bump your thread!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:41 am
shoot from the hip,baby

Originally Posted by Sass73
Greensborough's not a bad little place. Close to the end of the western ring road and not far from the eastern freeway, close to 2 uni's and several shopping centres and a new one being built. It's also right at the edge of nature if you know what I mean and there are some lovely gorges around there and fairly close to the start of the great dividing range, not to mention the wine regions.
Bit too far from the beach for us though.
Sass,

I did like where you are in Elwood last time I was there but just think it's so expensive now and houses are quite close together the nearer you are to the CBD so you've no real space around about you. I also feel the houses are a lot bigger for what you pay the further out you go. ( obviously ) Any other ideas on areas down Bayside way or south east with decently priced and sized houses?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scossie

Spot on assessment! We have friends who live in the St Helena area of Greensborough and it is a nice area. There is quite good access to CBD and to the countryside as well from Greensborough. The Yarra Valley is not too far away.

Greensborough is also quite close to the end of the (western and northern) ring road which skirts Melbourne so it is possible to get to Melbourne's west and down Geelong and the coast as well as to the north via the ring road. Our friends use the ring road to travel from Greensborough to visit rellies in Williamstown rather than go through the city.

Pricewise, property in Greensborough is almost the same as the average for all Melbourne at $360K.

OzTennis
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I see you've already had better replies on BritVics:

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...showtopic=2048

OzTennis
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:19 am
shoot from the hip,baby

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Ah, I see you've already had better replies on BritVics:

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...showtopic=2048

OzTennis
Yup, been trying both sites as not everyone here uses Britvics.
I'd never even heard of Greensborough until recently and had always only looked at Bayside properties and areas. Eltham I think is also up that way towards Greensborough so looking there as well.

x
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:22 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't have a clue. The only thing I could suggest is looking at whereis.com.au while looking on Domain.com.au. You can select inner bayside as a search option on domain. Some lovely houses a bit further down (Brighton, Black Rock) but pricey. If you want somewhere thats not too close to its neighbour, look at the address (if given). If its 2/5 then its a unit and it will have a really small garden and the next unit right next to it. If it's only got one number, ie 53 then its on its own block of land.
Hope that helps.

Sass,

Any other ideas on areas down Bayside way or south east with decently priced and sized houses?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

ken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura about

Hi there,
we've been living in Greensborough now for 3 years and we love it. It has a great shopping centre and lovely parks for walking the dog, everything is to hand.we live in Greenhills which is surrounded by tree's,We wouldn't live anywhere else.
I was from Epsom in surrey back in the UK. When are you moving out? so i would recommend living hear or close by.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:03 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

Originally Posted by ken-6
Hi there,
we've been living in Greensborough now for 3 years and we love it. It has a great shopping centre and lovely parks for walking the dog, everything is to hand.we live in Greenhills which is surrounded by tree's,We wouldn't live anywhere else.
I was from Epsom in surrey back in the UK. When are you moving out? so i would recommend living hear or close by.
Ken-6,

hoping to be out there Jan 07. I like the look of the place and the cost of houses there which appear to be bigger with more space around them. I supose the only down side would be location to the CBD where hubbie would have to work.
I'll check out your area on realestate.com.au
THANKS!!!!

*pearly*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.