Reload this Page >

Greenbank, Bris...anyone know it?

Wikiposts

Greenbank, Bris...anyone know it?

Old Nov 14th 2003, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by dazzac
i'm sure your all correct , its just when 3 people have said in the same day , ooh you don't want to go there, you get a little peeved. Hence the post.

I'm sure it'll all become clearer if I ever get out there - my own mate didn't tell me any negatives about Greenbank and he's been in Bris about 12 years. He didn't tell me any positives either so perhaps he was being poilte 'cos I said I liked the house.

Cheers dotty
Maybe thats the good thing about this forum, there is a lot of honesty posted here, the sort of stuff friends and rellies might not want to impart for fear of upsetting you. I know some people would like to stamp out that bit of the forum but what use would it be then? In the long run I bet you'll be happy people responded honestly. Good luck with the search, it is difficult on the internet, you would not believe some of the rubbish we have looked at from the net and we live here! Many a wasted Saturday dragged from me bed to look at a bargain
Old Nov 14th 2003, 9:23 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Daz,

Give us a list of things that you need in an area and someone might be able to suggest places you might want to check out.

Whats important?

Near the sea?
Acreage?
Close to good schools?
Close nit community?
Commuting to CBD?
U need pub transport?
You want an old or new house? Queenslander or "executive type i mean".
How much cash you looking to spend?
etc etc etc etc etc.

The house you listed is about 400k.....for that money you could get some pretty nice places, nothing mind blowing, but a nice enough house.

Also check out this link.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...+where+to+live
Old Nov 14th 2003, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
Daz,

Give us a list of things that you need in an area and someone might be able to suggest places you might want to check out.

Whats important?

Near the sea?
Acreage?
Close to good schools?
Close nit community?
Commuting to CBD?
U need pub transport?
You want an old or new house? Queenslander or "executive type i mean".
How much cash you looking to spend?
etc etc etc etc etc.

The house you listed is about 400k.....for that money you could get some pretty nice places, nothing mind blowing, but a nice enough house.

Also check out this link.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...+where+to+live
Thanks PeteY
Close to good schools? - have a 3 and a 5 year old
Acreage? - hopefully or reasonable plot
Near the sea? - preferably
Close nit community? - don't mind
Commuting to CBD? - on a motorbike
U need pub transport? not really.
Old or new house - don't mind , location might take precedence.

What made you settle where you are?
Did you have a list of places to look at before you went?
Have you moved around?
Did you rent whilst looking?

Thanks again - I'll continue to look through your doc.
Old Nov 14th 2003, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

mcfland is an unknown quantity at this point

Dazzac - you were completely entitled to be offended with Mrs Dagboys post. The point was it wasn't just the facts. Starting a reply of with 'Ugggghhhh. Thats just horrid.' when talking about something you obviously like the look of is pretty atagonistic in anyones book. Mrs Dagboy - just because you've posted over 700 replies doesn't entitle you to belittle and ridicule. If you're having a bad day, take it out on someone else, not on people who are just trying to get a bit of straightforward advice. I'm not trying to start an argument here - I've read many of your posts (most of which have been very useful) but if someone had posted a reply in that tone to you, I'm certain you would have reacted similarly. Of course the forum is biased and based on opinion - however there's a way of imparting that without being offensive.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 12:15 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mcfland, I dont have to like what you or anyone else likes & if the fact that someone on an internet forum says that they think a type of house is horrible upsets you then maybe you should grow a slightly thicker skin? Not sure why anyone would take it so personally. Its not like dazzac owns it. I dont like the house. I dont even have to pretend I like it, unlike dazzacs mate who then wouldnt give dazzac any useful info in case he upset him. How helpful is that when you live half way around the world & are trying to find out info? Not very! I guess you missed the smiley after the comment as well, put there to imply that it wasnt meant to be offensive & that everyone likes different things.

If you really are offended by me saying I dont like a particular house for sale on the internet, click on my profile & add me to your ignore list. Problem solvered!
Old Nov 15th 2003, 12:53 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dazzac
Thanks PeteY
Close to good schools? - have a 3 and a 5 year old
Acreage? - hopefully or reasonable plot
Near the sea? - preferably
Close nit community? - don't mind
Commuting to CBD? - on a motorbike
U need pub transport? not really.
Old or new house - don't mind , location might take precedence.

What made you settle where you are?
Did you have a list of places to look at before you went?
Have you moved around?
Did you rent whilst looking?

Thanks again - I'll continue to look through your doc.
Ok.....well i personally am not out there yet, but can tell you what we intend to do..

We are going to rent a place, pref a unit (as we don't want a garden while we are renting), for the first year or so. We will use this time to make sure that living in aus is right for us (more me really...the aus wife loves it there), and to make sure we don't buy into a dodgy area.

Personally, we like places that are near the sea, and although we would love acreage, we will have to wait for it, as i don't wan't to buy in the back and beyond as yet. We intend to rent in the bayside suburbs somwhere, south of the river. We will however go for a few days drive around bris before we decide, just to check out the other areas.

Somewhere you might want to have a look at is Caboolture. Its a town about an hour north of bris by train. We are going to have a quick look, but have decided we don't want quite such a long commute. It may be quicker for you by bike, as the traffic (which can be bad on the main road i believe), won't affect you as much. You can get reasonable acreage, fairly near the coast in teh Caboolture/Morayfield area for reasonable cash. Good facilities too, nice shopping complex and cinemas etc. Trains to bris are meant to be efficient and clean.

I am a Brisbane virgin though, so am in a similar situation to you. I have only been there a couple of times, so we are just going to "suck it and see".
Old Nov 16th 2003, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

mcfland is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm...you seem to have missed my point here Mrs Dagboy. Dazzac's original post was asking advice about the Greenbank area - the link to the house was just an example of what he might get there. At no point was he asking your opinion about the house. Starting your reply with 'Ugggghhhh. Thats just horrid' was unnecessary, atagonistic and just plain rude. Understandably he was a bit cheesed off and replied accordingly. To add insult to injury you then accused him of not being able to take the facts - the point is you didn't just present the facts.

I can only assume from your defensive tone that you realise you were out of order but haven't the decency to apologise.

As for the smiley afterwards, I must remember that. Next time I feel like being offensive I'll just stick a smiley after it or say I'm having a 'bad day' - that obviously excuses it.

Thanks for the tip about the ignore list - I'll get onto it.
Old Nov 16th 2003, 6:03 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I would respond - but as Im hopefully on your ignore list by now I wont waste my breath