Green stuff

Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:16 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Green stuff

Originally Posted by Soi Oz
Not just there! If I have any old furniture or household / sporting stuff I want to get rid of I just leave it on the verge. Guaranteed it will be gone within 24 hours In Oz, leaving something on the verge like this is common if you want to get rid of it. A lot of councils have free collection services. In my council (Town of Cambridge) they have curbside collections, in the Shire of Bayswater you get a free mini skip a few times a year. Both have recycling bins for paper, certain plastics and glass. In cambridge the recycling bins are collected once very two weeks.

Many councils have recycling depots connected to their waste disposal plants.

It certainly gives people a hobby as scavenging is apparently a no-no at the dumps. I remember the one in the NT which I used a fair bit as there was no refuse collection from houses, and the on-site caravan lived in by the manager and owner of scavenging rights. What a pong ! great place to live. Cleetus from the Simpsons, eat your heart out!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:42 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The Australians may do a little bit of recycling as part of presenting a 'green image' (as other countries).

On the big scale it makes Bugger all difference and they are one of the coutries that have refused to sign the Kyoto agreement and refuse to cut back on emissions if it harms 'economic growth'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4723305.stm

On a more local note. When my youngest son was living in a small town in outback WA all the rubbish was taken out into the bush and dumped in a hole in the ground . No pretence at recycling or even basic hygiene or concern for flora or fauna.

G
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:11 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
The Australians may do a little bit of recycling as part of presenting a 'green image' (as other countries).

On the big scale it makes Bugger all difference and they are one of the coutries that have refused to sign the Kyoto agreement and refuse to cut back on emissions if it harms 'economic growth'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4723305.stm

On a more local note. When my youngest son was living in a small town in outback WA all the rubbish was taken out into the bush and dumped in a hole in the ground . No pretence at recycling or even basic hygiene or concern for flora or fauna.

G

Yes i heard little Johnny on the radio tonight, saying how this new agreement "throws the Kyoto agreement in the shade".

He can dream i guess.

Maybe he should visit Mount Gambier and check out the smell of creosote and partical board glue which dwells over the town when the wind is right.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:13 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Oh, and Grayling....that still happens. Anywhere outside of a town.

We have good friends who run a farm near Mount Pleasant. They are an hours drive from Adelaide, just over the hills. They backhoe a new hole a year, and fill it with thier rubbish. This is what just about every farm in Australia does.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PeteY
Oh, and Grayling....that still happens. Anywhere outside of a town.

We have good friends who run a farm near Mount Pleasant. They are an hours drive from Adelaide, just over the hills. They backhoe a new hole a year, and fill it with thier rubbish. This is what just about every farm in Australia does.
This is a very interesting thread, and a subject I’m very fond of. In my area in the UK (Leeds) we have only recently been given a recycle bin, but the list of things to go into it is very particular.

I'm looking forward to getting to OZ and doing my bit for the environment. Does anyone have solar panels and sell electricity back to the suppliers? I'm curious as to if this works, and if the supplier will actually bother to buy back electricity.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 11:20 am
A Male Member

Originally Posted by leedslad
This is a very interesting thread, and a subject I’m very fond of. In my area in the UK (Leeds) we have only recently been given a recycle bin, but the list of things to go into it is very particular.

I'm looking forward to getting to OZ and doing my bit for the environment. Does anyone have solar panels and sell electricity back to the suppliers? I'm curious as to if this works, and if the supplier will actually bother to buy back electricity.
Im pretty sure they don't do this anymore. We know someone who has a wind turbine, and he says they havn't been able to sell power back to the grid for years.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 11:39 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeteY
Im pretty impressed here in Mount Gambier.

We get 3 wheelie bins. A small one for rubbish (collected weekly), and two big ones (collected fortnightly). One of the big ones is blue, and for paper/car/glass/plastic recycling, and the other is green and for greenwaste/foodscraps/grass clippings etc.

Good system....however you do pay for it in your rates.

And for those doing the old UK vs Aus.....we have only just got it here. In the UK we had it 4 years ago.
Same as except ours has been here in Melbourne all the time we have.

I have also got a worm farm for my dog poo. I do often think to myself if i was a very religious person i might have to stop and think what a bad person you must be to get reincarnated as a worm that eats dog shit all day...