Green stuff

Old Jul 27th 2005, 9:11 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Green stuff

Still loosely on the subject of food, are Ozzies big on recycling, composting, stuff like that? For several years now we've got used to chucking all the food waste in the composter, and separating all the papers and glass for recycling. Are there good facilities, generally speaking?

Thanks.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Green stuff

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Still loosely on the subject of food, are Ozzies big on recycling, composting, stuff like that? For several years now we've got used to chucking all the food waste in the composter, and separating all the papers and glass for recycling. Are there good facilities, generally speaking?

Thanks.
I can't speak for the other states but in Melbourne, by law, you are supposed to recycle. You are given a recycling bin along with your dustbin which is collected every two weeks. I don't think it's the sort of thing that can easily be monitored but I think a lot of people do comply.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Hi
Again, suppose depends on where you live in Australia.
Here in Cairns, QLD, we have a 'glass/cardboard cartons/plastic' recycle bin that is picked up once a month.

In most shopping malls there are also 'reclycling' bins for paper and plastic bags etc.

Never had this where I lived in the UK, so I suppose, yes, they are more geared up to it in Australia.

Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:41 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Smile Re: Green stuff

Thanks.
Dont worry too much dear on this.
Just little off the topic and not answering your question. But I thought this will make you off the worries...
Yesterday in the news channel if you have seen. Plastic manufacturing from Sugarcane waste...
Its in Australian Lab that docotors have achived great success. They manufactured all items from soft papers to hard plastic and soft spongy cushion like material and everything from Sugarcane.... Commercially available in few years
Impressed with this Govt. has awarded 150,000 Dollars for research program. The Sugarcane associatation head and the Scientists see it a hugh potential for the outcome in emerging markets like China and India...
Good news
Old Jul 28th 2005, 1:42 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Im pretty impressed here in Mount Gambier.

We get 3 wheelie bins. A small one for rubbish (collected weekly), and two big ones (collected fortnightly). One of the big ones is blue, and for paper/car/glass/plastic recycling, and the other is green and for greenwaste/foodscraps/grass clippings etc.

Good system....however you do pay for it in your rates.

And for those doing the old UK vs Aus.....we have only just got it here. In the UK we had it 4 years ago.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 3:49 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

In Perth it depends which Council even.

Here at work we have two bins, grey for rubbish, and green/yellow for recycling stuff(as far as I can tell glass, plastic, paper etc)

At home (Vincent council) we have one normal one, collected each week.
Then every second week recycling gets picked up. You have to bundle you newspapers(annoying... I think most just put it in a box), and we've got a big black box/crate thing for glass, plastic, cans.

My friend in Bunbury is a bit of a 'hippy', but she doesn't recycle, as she has worked at a recycling plant, sorting recycling stuff.
She came across things like needles, diapers, dead animals etc etc :scared: :scared:
And of course a lot of people don't wash there cans and glass pots etc....
Old Jul 28th 2005, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so disappointed as I typed a really long post and it got lost!!!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

OK here we go again! Hopefully I won't miss anything out as this is a subject close to my heart
Ok Here in Joondalup there has been a big debate about bins and at the mo you can buy a green bin for recycling but the rest of us have to make do with large plakky bags. The council are worried the bins will be too expensive and get nicked, apparently they make good wormeries.
They only take plastic and tins in the bags. Newspapers and glass go outside at the side. The bags often fly away or get nicked... if you leave yours out in a plastic bag the bin men will provide a replacement plakky one.

RE composting, it takes much longer here to rot down due to the dry heat, so you may want to get a wormery. Large bins are sold in Bunnings, which I think are better than making one yourself as they should cut down pests.

You can also do things like this to save money and help the environment;
Buried pipes instead of reticulation - reduces evaporation
Plant native trees and plants which are drought tolerant
Pool cover to save evaporation, solar roof heaters for your pool
Collect rainwater from the roof with a rain water diverter and tank.
Recycle grey water on garden
Insulate loft eg. cool or cosy
Roller shutters reduce heat transfer by 50%
Verandas and pergolas reduce sunshine coming in during summer, if built at correct oreintation (houses should face North) will allow some sunshine in during winter when the sun is lower in the sky.
Wood burners - wood is renewable
Solar heating for bath/shower water, combine with another form for cooler winter days.
Gas cars, there are plenty of places to fill up but you need a large unit in the back of your car. You can also change over to petrol mid journey.
Energy efficient products are readily available
There are rebates to be had on some environmentally friendly products, you need to keep your eyes peeled.
Water retaining granules for pots, so you don't have to water so much
Organic fertilisers

Basically there is so much you can do, try looking at the Planet Ark website, they also have a link where you can check on recycling in your area but I'm not sure how up to date it is.
Atb
Larissa
Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Ooh forgot to mention ceiling fans, if used with insulation and verandas etc, you may get away without aircon or not use it as much. I would probably choose an inverter unit over ducted as I am asthmatic.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
OK here we go again! Hopefully I won't miss anything out as this is a subject close to my heart
Ok Here in Joondalup there has been a big debate about bins and at the mo you can buy a green bin for recycling but the rest of us have to make do with large plakky bags. The council are worried the bins will be too expensive and get nicked, apparently they make good wormeries.
They only take plastic and tins in the bags. Newspapers and glass go outside at the side. The bags often fly away or get nicked... if you leave yours out in a plastic bag the bin men will provide a replacement plakky one.

RE composting, it takes much longer here to rot down due to the dry heat, so you may want to get a wormery. Large bins are sold in Bunnings, which I think are better than making one yourself as they should cut down pests.

You can also do things like this to save money and help the environment;
Buried pipes instead of reticulation - reduces evaporation
Plant native trees and plants which are drought tolerant
Pool cover to save evaporation, solar roof heaters for your pool
Collect rainwater from the roof with a rain water diverter and tank.
Recycle grey water on garden
Insulate loft eg. cool or cosy
Roller shutters reduce heat transfer by 50%
Verandas and pergolas reduce sunshine coming in during summer, if built at correct oreintation (houses should face North) will allow some sunshine in during winter when the sun is lower in the sky.
Wood burners - wood is renewable
Solar heating for bath/shower water, combine with another form for cooler winter days.
Gas cars, there are plenty of places to fill up but you need a large unit in the back of your car. You can also change over to petrol mid journey.
Energy efficient products are readily available
There are rebates to be had on some environmentally friendly products, you need to keep your eyes peeled.
Water retaining granules for pots, so you don't have to water so much
Organic fertilisers

Basically there is so much you can do, try looking at the Planet Ark website, they also have a link where you can check on recycling in your area but I'm not sure how up to date it is.
Atb
Larissa
Great post Larrissa, theres lots we can all do if we spend some time thinking about it. Baby steps and all that....
Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I forgot to mention that over the course of the year they also collect white goods (appliances) and furniture. Our council sends a flyer saying that on such and such a date they are collecting white goods and then for about a week before people will leave things like old fridges, freezers, video machines etc on the pavements outside. Often people will take the items if they have use for them - you can get some good stuff, couches, lamps, garden furniture, carpets, tv's, dishwashers, you name it but more often than not, the stuff isn't in working order.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:41 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I forgot to mention that over the course of the year they also collect white goods (appliances) and furniture. Our council sends a flyer saying that on such and such a date they are collecting white goods and then for about a week before people will leave things like old fridges, freezers, video machines etc on the pavements outside. Often people will take the items if they have use for them - you can get some good stuff, couches, lamps, garden furniture, carpets, tv's, dishwashers, you name it but more often than not, the stuff isn't in working order.

In our area, full of large houses and Mcmansions, its amazing how quickly the stuff disappears ! By the time council comes round, there bugger all left. our old tv and dvd went in a matter of minutes in the dead of night. lots of cars driving around with people going thru the rubbish. Good old Se Queenslanders....anything to make a $
Old Jul 28th 2005, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Lol someone took our broken flyscreens, hope they found a use for them!
BTW If you miss the white goods collection you pay for the priviledge of disposing your stuff at the tip. They weigh your car before and after and the charge is based on the difference.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Here on the Central Coast NSW we have 3 different wheelie bins, a small red lidded one for everyday waste, a large yellow lidded one for recycling paper, card, cans, plastic, glass all goes in there and then finally a green lidded one for garden waste and clippings. The red gets collected everyweek and the others alternate weeks. Pretty darn good I think.

Jo
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:11 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Del Boy
In our area, full of large houses and Mcmansions, its amazing how quickly the stuff disappears ! By the time council comes round, there bugger all left. our old tv and dvd went in a matter of minutes in the dead of night. lots of cars driving around with people going thru the rubbish. Good old Se Queenslanders....anything to make a $
Not just there! If I have any old furniture or household / sporting stuff I want to get rid of I just leave it on the verge. Guaranteed it will be gone within 24 hours In Oz, leaving something on the verge like this is common if you want to get rid of it. A lot of councils have free collection services. In my council (Town of Cambridge) they have curbside collections, in the Shire of Bayswater you get a free mini skip a few times a year. Both have recycling bins for paper, certain plastics and glass. In cambridge the recycling bins are collected once very two weeks.

Many councils have recycling depots connected to their waste disposal plants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.