Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Green Slip for Car Reg

Green Slip for Car Reg

Old Apr 29th 2011, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice
Default Green Slip for Car Reg

Can anyone explain the system please?

I bought a car a couple of months ago in NSW and it needs re-registering in May. I see that I need a "Green Slip" for the RTA. Is this just the standard car insurance that I took out, or do I need another document?

In anticipation of your help, thanks guys.

A
Old Apr 30th 2011, 12:12 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green Slip for Car Reg

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn
Can anyone explain the system please?

I bought a car a couple of months ago in NSW and it needs re-registering in May. I see that I need a "Green Slip" for the RTA. Is this just the standard car insurance that I took out, or do I need another document?

In anticipation of your help, thanks guys.

A
Green slip is compulsory 3rd party insurance that you have to have in addition to any other insurance you opt to take out.

http://www.greenslips.com.au/

This will give you some comparison costs. You need to have this before you can get your Rego. No way round it I'm afraid!
Old Apr 30th 2011, 8:32 am
Just Joined

tofu is an unknown quantity at this point

Plus, it's personal injury insurance, and separate from the optional comprehensive car insurance that covers breakdowns, damage etc - you have to buy that separately. Unfortunately, the green slip will knock you back a few hundred dollars - cost varies depending on driver age, whether they have other insurance, type of car, etc.

When you register, you also need a pink slip - basically a car checkup. That costs around $37. Pink slips can often be lodged electronically by the mechanics.

Once you have the pink slip and the green slip, you can pay your registration online through myRTA.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 9:17 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tofu
When you register, you also need a pink slip - basically a car checkup. That costs around $37. Pink slips can often be lodged electronically by the mechanics.

Once you have the pink slip and the green slip, you can pay your registration online through myRTA.
You only need a pink slip once the car is over a certain age. Can't remember for certain what age, but its on the RTA website.

We haven't had to renew yet in NSW, but I also think your renewal notice tells you if you need an inspection done first.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 9:28 am
Just Joined

tofu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dreamy
You only need a pink slip once the car is over a certain age. Can't remember for certain what age, but its on the RTA website.

We haven't had to renew yet in NSW, but I also think your renewal notice tells you if you need an inspection done first.
Ah yes that's right, it says on the renewal note whether there's an 'inspection required'.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to all

Just watch out for when you do your online quotes. I think you have to have lived here 6 months to apply for a NSW drivers licence. The green slip websites might give you one price but you'll find it doesn't apply if you don't have the licence, it will cost more. And you can't get the NSW licence unless you have been in Australia continuously for those 6 months, so if you travel overseas for work then it becomes pretty impossible.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 1:43 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lisa and Martin
Just watch out for when you do your online quotes. I think you have to have lived here 6 months to apply for a NSW drivers licence. The green slip websites might give you one price but you'll find it doesn't apply if you don't have the licence, it will cost more. And you can't get the NSW licence unless you have been in Australia continuously for those 6 months, so if you travel overseas for work then it becomes pretty impossible.
Hmm we got our license after about 6 days...

might be visa dependant?
Old Apr 30th 2011, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to allLisa and Martin is a name known to all

Yep, you are right, it is 6 months if you are a temporary resident, if you are permanent you have to have converted over to a NSW licence within 3 months. From previous posts I think AndrewMarilyn is on a temp 457 visa so the 6 month info will probably apply in his/her case. I could still be wrong though (always have to allow for that possibility....!) From memory the application fee you pay the RTA for the NSW licence is roughly the same as the extra that you pay for a CTP green slip if you are temp-resident, so it's break-even in the first year and saving after that.
Old May 1st 2011, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, you are right, it is 6 months if you are a temporary resident, if you are permanent you have to have converted over to a NSW licence within 3 months. From previous posts I think AndrewMarilyn is on a temp 457 visa so the 6 month info will probably apply in his/her case. I could still be wrong though (always have to allow for that possibility....!) From memory the application fee you pay the RTA for the NSW licence is roughly the same as the extra that you pay for a CTP green slip if you are temp-resident, so it's break-even in the first year and saving after that.
May be the rules have changed, but I converted my UK licence to NSW licence within days of landing on a 457 three years ago...all I needed was an actual address, i.e. would not accept c/o an employer or hotel.
Old May 1st 2011, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

I nearly had a heart attack reading this although I'm going to Wa.
After checking the Wa transport pages it seems people on a 457 visa don't need to change their licence as long as their Uk licence is valid for their time in the country.
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20668.asp