Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Green Island tours - Cairns (opinions please!)

Green Island tours - Cairns (opinions please!)

Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:45 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Green Island tours - Cairns (opinions please!)

I'm taking a trip up to Cairns again at the end of November. I've already taken two reef trips, one with Reef Magic and the other with Quicksilver.

I'm thinking of doing something a bit different this time and doing a trip over to Green Island instead. This time I'll have my mother-in-law with me as well as my almost 5 year old daughter. My husband will also be on the trip with our 2 year old but they have the option of staying in Cairns or coming on the tour.

So.... has anyone taken any tours out to Green Island? I'm curious if they are just as good or better to the tours that go to farther out in the reef. I'm thinking this might be a better option because I'll have my daughter with us this time.

Are there any tour providers that you can recommend? I see one with Great Adventures that looks pretty good, but I know there are several others that go out there too.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:57 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of
Default Re: Green Island tours - Cairns (opinions please!)

Originally Posted by comet555
I'm taking a trip up to Cairns again at the end of November. I've already taken two reef trips, one with Reef Magic and the other with Quicksilver.

I'm thinking of doing something a bit different this time and doing a trip over to Green Island instead. This time I'll have my mother-in-law with me as well as my almost 5 year old daughter. My husband will also be on the trip with our 2 year old but they have the option of staying in Cairns or coming on the tour.

So.... has anyone taken any tours out to Green Island? I'm curious if they are just as good or better to the tours that go to farther out in the reef. I'm thinking this might be a better option because I'll have my daughter with us this time.

Are there any tour providers that you can recommend? I see one with Great Adventures that looks pretty good, but I know there are several others that go out there too.
We went to Green Island, it is good for kids to snorkell and paddle off the beach and a very pretty little island but I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't much coral to see in the sea and it also can get quite crowded.

Another trip we did recently was to Michaelmas Cay with Ocean Spirit Cruises, it's a large catamaran, the cay itself is a gorgeous sand island that is a sanctuary for birds, a large tender transports passengers from the main boat to the island and the snorkelling was much better, there were turtles and loads of other fish and coral to see. They also made a great hot and cold food buffet for lunch as well as morning and afternoon tea and a semi-submersible tour.

Other island trips that come recommended are the Frankland Islands or the Low Isles off Port Douglas.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:10 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I was afraid of that... I don't mind going to island but I want to make sure we see lots of coral and fish. Having been to the outer reef I want to make sure we see the real reef if you know what I mean.

I'll have a lot at some of the other boats as well. I'm also thinking of my parents who will be going up there in December. There are wanting to take a tour that will have the helicopter option as well. I know they might snorkel a bit, but they would prefer to do the boat rides, semi-sub and helicopter.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

Hi comet555
We did the green island trip and as wannabauzzienurse said found it was great for kids to snorkel off the beach but not much to see. The underwater submarine boat ride was good so your parents and two year old may enjoy that, plenty to see, so may be a good idea to try that. Hope you have a great time.

Neill, Sharon and Jasmin
www.auspitality.com.au
Luxury Short Term Accommodation
Brisbane - Bayside
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:19 am
Canuck/Aussie

Thanks so much for the input. I wouldn't mind doing Green Island if it was just me and my 4 year old. But since my mother-in-law will be coming and it will likely be the only time she sees the reef I think we'll do a tour a bit farther out. My husband will just have to hang out with the two year old in Cairns will us girls go out for a trip to the outer reef.

My daughter will be just about 5 when we go and we've already got her snorkelling about in the pool. She just loves the water so I think the outer reef will be fine (with lifejacket of course).
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

sounds good hope you have a great time
Old Sep 14th 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

We went to Green island when we first moved here..it has a lovely beach but is pretty difficult for swimming as mainly coral off the beach area..with no marine life unless you snorkel quite a way out. At low tide the snorkelling around the jetty area was pretty good and the boat trip would be good for your mum...it does get very busy though, especially in the afternoon. It is also nice and level if mobility is an issue and you can get snacks or meals at the resort.

Went to Fitzry Island yesterday.. a very beautiful island but to get to sandy beach it isn't a level walk with stone boulders to walk up..may not be good if mobility issues.

I have been told the Frankland Islands are very beautiful with unspoilt islands and great snorkelling, think the trips include snorkelling tours so depends what you want. Green Island would be the better family option.

Fitzroy Island also has limited facilities due to the resort being upgraded.

I have heard thaqt the Low Isles trip from Port Douglas Marina is also very good.

Good luck and hope you have a good trip..
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 1:51 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

I went there earlier this year. It is probably best described as a good introduction to the reef, i.e. if you take a package that includes semi submersible or glass bottom boat tour. I have also been to the outer reef and you definitely see a lot more there, although obviously most of your time is spent on the boat (unless you go to one of those dive platforms).
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 3:09 am
Canuck/Aussie

I've since talked to my mother-in-law and she really wants to do a helicopter ride out at the reef. So it looks like we'll be going to the outer reef for sure.

I've already done Quicksilver and Reef Magic, definitely preferred Reef Magic so will probably go with them again. Unless anyone has any thoughts about other outer reef tours???