Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A Green and Hilly Village Exists Near Melbourne

A Green and Hilly Village Exists Near Melbourne

Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Michael Branagan-Harris will become famous soon enoughMichael Branagan-Harris will become famous soon enough
Default A Green and Hilly Village Exists Near Melbourne

We arrived in Melbourne on 17th August 2005 - from Romsey Hampshire in the United Kingdom.

On arrival the company I work for provided us with a house in Essendon - 10 mins from the airport. It was OK but we soon realised that city life was not for us. For many people arriving from London, Birmingham, Manchester etc etc big sprawling horrible cities then Melbourne is OK - but for those used to a quieter and more serene environment then we found Warrandyte.
Warrandyte is around 28 miles out of Melbourne in the Yarra valley close to Vineyards, rivers and green hills that look a bit like you get in the southern med.

There is a strong Oz community and a fantastic small school with 20 children class sizes.

There is plenty to do - theres the Warrandyte national park, the Yarra river runs through and you can hire canoes or sit and watch life go by. This area is great for cycling and mountain biking, walking, wildlife and getting to Healesville sanctuary and the Yarra wine region is on your doorstep.

We have a Koala and plenty of Cockatoos in our garden on a regular basis!

Warrandyte is a popular tourist spot and often visited by the locals (from Melbourne) where many people meet up at the river bakery. There is a great adventure playground nearby also.

I travel into Melbourne CBD every day - it takes max 1 hour min 35 mins so not too bad compared to the UK travelling. Beaches in Mornington will take about 1 hour 15 mins.

I have now settled well with my four children (aged 9, 6 5 and 16 months) and life is pretty good. The school is brilliant and made my children very welcome.

Renting is pretty good - we have a very private single level house on an acre for $550 / week.

Shopping and restaurant facilities are good - and everywhere is friendly.

If you are seeking a quiteter life than the suburbs then come and see!

Mike