Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Great stamp duty heist in WA

Great stamp duty heist in WA

Old Jun 30th 2003, 2:57 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Great stamp duty heist in WA

Tax is great here mum we get to pay in many ways but stamps are getting a bit to expensive though , might just Email you from now on.

From Tuesday, a 15 per cent rise in stamp duty will take effect.

For Ms Maclean, 31, and Mr May, 33, buying their three-bedroom, one-bathroom house at auction yesterday for $370,000 incurred stamp duty of $14,605.

Had they bought after July 1, the stamp duty would have been $16,735.

http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/c...5E2761,00.html

Old Jun 30th 2003, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

edwin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm that's not too bad..when i bought a house in holland i paid about 10% on taxes..so 14-16k isn't that bad on a house of 370k??
Old Jun 30th 2003, 4:35 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by edwin
Hmmm that's not too bad..when i bought a house in holland i paid about 10% on taxes..so 14-16k isn't that bad on a house of 370k??
Not if you are in Holland but would you work for the wages here, and your welfare benefits are far higher than here ie Pensions and unemployment.

Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by edwin
Even better in QLD 1% stamp duty on houses up to $250,000 and then 3.5% above $250,000 to $500,000, cannot remember the top limit.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:14 am
Banned

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Even better in QLD 1% stamp duty on houses up to $250,000 and then 3.5% above $250,000 to $500,000, cannot remember the top limit.
The UKs is less than 1% , but its more fun paying tax here to keep the likes of you.

Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

With the rapid rise in house prices the gvt should review all these taxes. The rates were Ok before houses doubled but now its just silly. I think there is supposed to be a segment on some current affair show tonight but I only saw the end of the ad.

Isn't Victoria the worse, friends of ours went back and said they paid $30,000 stamp duty that cant be correct can it?

Lots of articles about folk on waterfront land getting rates bills of $6000+. Our local council is talking of letting the elderly pay their rates after they die!!
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pommie bastard
The UKs is less than 1% , but its more fun paying tax here to keep the likes of you.

But in the UK you pay 17.5% VAT here you pay only 10%, swings and roundabouts.

PB you really must stop looking on the black side all the time it must make you very depressed.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:33 am
Banned

But in the UK you pay 17.5% VAT here you pay only 10%, swings and roundabouts.

PB you really must stop looking on the black side all the time it must make you very depressed.
You left out the levies that drive taxes on things way above the levels in the UK also VAT is not on all goods in the UK.
Lets not even go there on personal tax , the bad side is opening my pay packet and seeing your wages being the biggest item.
We should have a love the useless goverment workers day , the smug bastards get the best of working conditions and we get to pay for them so rejoice .
PS my monies on GST going up not down.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jun 30th 2003 at 6:38 am.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by dotty
Lots of articles about folk on waterfront land getting rates bills of $6000+. Our local council is talking of letting the elderly pay their rates after they die!!
I wish you would post facts rather than speculate, sure if you've got a million dollar waterfront house I would think $6,000 is quite reasonable.
My rates for an averge house in Brisbane is about $1,000. I seem to remember you mentioned you've bought waterfront land and it had gone up in price. WHY don't you state the rates on that rather than waffle and try and put people off.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:46 am
Banned

I wish you would post facts rather than speculate, sure if you've got a million dollar waterfront house I would think $6,000 is quite reasonable.
My rates for an averge house in Brisbane is about $1,000. I seem to remember you mentioned you've bought waterfront land and it had gone up in price. WHY don't you state the rates on that rather than waffle and try and put people off.
You rent young man I take it?

Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

You rent young man I take it?

No I own my own house, renting is not cost effective if you stay put for more than 12 months or so.

I only rent when I move to a new area so I can suss it out and get the best deal, don't belive in rushing in to buy a house.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:59 am
Banned

No I own my own house, renting is not cost effective if you stay put for more than 12 months or so.

I only rent when I move to a new area so I can suss it out and get the best deal, don't belive in rushing in to buy a house.
You own or mortgage if your plans are not long term loaning cash is not cost effective , when you have out goings such as stamp duty to cover as well as interest payments not to mention rates on land and water.

Old Jun 30th 2003, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by dotty
With the rapid rise in house prices the gvt should review all these taxes. The rates were Ok before houses doubled but now its just silly. I think there is supposed to be a segment on some current affair show tonight but I only saw the end of the ad.

Isn't Victoria the worse, friends of ours went back and said they paid $30,000 stamp duty that cant be correct can it?

Is stamp duty the same in the Brisbane area? For example what's the duty on a home worth $300,000? Some old neighbours of ours are heading for Brisbane so I thought I'd find out for them.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

Not if the purchase price is over £250k (3%) and 4% if over £500k

Regards
Karl.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Paul, as we both know Waterfront million dollar properties are not what most people here are going to be buying. So how am I putting people off.

My point is with recent price rises, rates applicable to stamp duty, rating values, even real estate comissions are now out of date and need review.

If you want to go down the waterfront track you will find almost weekly complaints up here on the Sunshine Coast of people who claim they will have to sell their home to pay the rates, hence the new Council scheme pay after you die!

Normal rates on a non waterfront property on Sunshine Coast Maroochy Shire $936 per half year, however that includes water.

Please dont assume every post is made to put people off, it was a comment on out of date scales compared to recent property increases. I think most people agree they need bringing up to date.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.