Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Great Ocean Road - staying with a baby

Great Ocean Road - staying with a baby

Old Aug 17th 2006, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Great Ocean Road - staying with a baby

I know that the question about where to stay on the Great Ocean Road has been asked before, but we are specifically looking for recommendations for places to stay with our 9 month old daughter ie provide cots. We were looking at staying around Apollo Bay, but would be open to suggestions as it is our first time venturing past Torquay. Any ideas ?
Old Aug 18th 2006, 1:04 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Ocean Road - staying with a baby

Originally Posted by BenandPam
I know that the question about where to stay on the Great Ocean Road has been asked before, but we are specifically looking for recommendations for places to stay with our 9 month old daughter ie provide cots. We were looking at staying around Apollo Bay, but would be open to suggestions as it is our first time venturing past Torquay. Any ideas ?
We stayed at the Marengo Motel a few years ago it was right by the beach and quite nice but a bit out of the centre.

Most places will have cots.

If I went again I'd probably stay at Lorne, I thought Apollo bay was a bit too quiet.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

I would highly recommend Port Fairy - my brother booked us a 5 bedroom house (9 of us total with 5 kids) right across from the "swim beach" and it was very nice. They provided cots and high chairs for his two twins who were 14 months old at the time. The house has a very nice kitchen/family area and a great view from the living/dining area of the beach. The 2 main bedrooms are on the front of the house and overlook the beach/ocean with a nice balcony. Here's the link to the house we stayed at: http://www.stayz.com.au/2550. Not cheap, but it wasn't bad considering all 9 of use could confortably stay there.

The swimming beach there is also very nice for youngsters as it is completely protected from the surf by an outcropping of rocks and so has absolutely no waves. Great for the kids to be able to just sit in 3-4 inches of water and play!

It's a pretty easy walk into the main part of the town and only a short walk to the surf beach if that's what you're after. Some nice cafes in the town, but we mostly ate at the house and bought what we needed at the local shops.

Cheers,
Brian

Originally Posted by BenandPam
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:42 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

If you need a stay around Colac area (maybe on the way back from Port Fairy) then Bogandeena Studios is a privately run B&B that is very nice. It has cooking facilities in the studio so if you didn't fancy eating at one of the great restaurants in town (Duff's, Culture, Cafe New Deli) then you could buy in and cook for yourself.

Colac is the kind of gateway to the Otways which is a must if you're in that general direction. They have the http://www.otwayfly.com/ and glow worms in nearby Melba Gully.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice

Originally Posted by brian0
I would highly recommend Port Fairy - my brother booked us a 5 bedroom house (9 of us total with 5 kids) right across from the "swim beach" and it was very nice. They provided cots and high chairs for his two twins who were 14 months old at the time. The house has a very nice kitchen/family area and a great view from the living/dining area of the beach. The 2 main bedrooms are on the front of the house and overlook the beach/ocean with a nice balcony. Here's the link to the house we stayed at: http://www.stayz.com.au/2550. Not cheap, but it wasn't bad considering all 9 of use could confortably stay there.

The swimming beach there is also very nice for youngsters as it is completely protected from the surf by an outcropping of rocks and so has absolutely no waves. Great for the kids to be able to just sit in 3-4 inches of water and play!

It's a pretty easy walk into the main part of the town and only a short walk to the surf beach if that's what you're after. Some nice cafes in the town, but we mostly ate at the house and bought what we needed at the local shops.

Cheers,
Brian

We stayed in that house last weekend.....it's fantastic isn't it. Might be a bit far for the original poster though as it's right at the other end of GOR, 20 mins past Warnambool. We went to see the whales.

Judy