Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Great Ocean Road

Great Ocean Road

Old Jan 10th 2009, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about
Default Great Ocean Road

Where is a good place to stay, we have in-laws coming for a month and live on Phillip Island so thinking of taking them to see G.O R for a few days. Any recommendations on where to stay along the way or to base ourselves,we will be 4 adults and 2 littlies. Or would you recommend a camper?
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:51 am
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Great Ocean Road

Rayville boathouses in apollo bay, we stayed there in 2007 in feb, it was reasonable, self contained 2 story houses, with own parking, 3 beds, spa bath, fully kitted kitchen. Clean and comfortable. If your in the right one, you get a great view of the sea too.

Remember to eat EARLY if you're expecting to be fed in a restaurant outside of the city!!!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iainandsam
Where is a good place to stay, we have in-laws coming for a month and live on Phillip Island so thinking of taking them to see G.O R for a few days. Any recommendations on where to stay along the way or to base ourselves,we will be 4 adults and 2 littlies. Or would you recommend a camper?
Have a look at Big4 camps, as they have tent pitches, caravans and chalets. They have sites all the way down the GOR. Stop off at Anglesey golf course too as kangaroos can be seen. The Sorrento to Queenscliff ferry is a good way to start the journey as a family of dolphins can sometimes be seen following the ferry across.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

great thanks for that
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:34 am
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

When I went on the GOR coach tour I bagged the best seat on the bus. It was on the top deck at the front left hand corner so I had a birds eye view out of the front and side windows.

That came about because I joined the queue to the bus half way from the front but the driver opened the side doors first where I was standing so I was the first one on the bus and got the first choice of seats.

Later on in the journey we stooped by the 12 apostles and I went up in a hellychopter and got some good ariel photos (they're not yet in the photo gallery) but I felt a bit queasy when the helicopter went sideways.

ps Thought Geelong was a bit boring - seemed a place for saddos.