Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Great Ocean Road

The Great Ocean Road

Old Aug 22nd 2006, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

lardyarse is just really nicelardyarse is just really nicelardyarse is just really nicelardyarse is just really nicelardyarse is just really nicelardyarse is just really nicelardyarse is just really nicelardyarse is just really nicelardyarse is just really nice
Default The Great Ocean Road

I'm planning a weekend trip to see the highlights of the GOR. Has anyone done the trip and got any ideas of decent stop overs. Im thinking 3 nights/4 days should be ample time for a weekender (maybe returning via the Grampians - or is that too ambitious?)
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 3:40 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Great Ocean Road

We liked Appollo Bay

Originally Posted by lardyarse
I'm planning a weekend trip to see the highlights of the GOR. Has anyone done the trip and got any ideas of decent stop overs. Im thinking 3 nights/4 days should be ample time for a weekender (maybe returning via the Grampians - or is that too ambitious?)
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 3:55 pm
The Analog Kid

sa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: The Great Ocean Road

We stayed at the The 13th Apostle Post Office Road, Princetown, Great Ocean Road, Victoria, 3269, ( http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels...ean-road/8548/ )caters for singles couples and family's cheap clean and good pub across the road from it

Its a real good drive lots to see and do
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Great Ocean Road

Apollo bay is great - have a day or two there.
L
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

According to Tripadvisor, the best hotel in Apollo Bay is called Point of View.

Check it out at: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g2...ia-Hotels.html
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 6:54 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

We did the GOR at Easter and it's beautiful. The 12 Apostles are fabulous and we went up in a helicopter whilst there which was fantastic. You get to see a whole different view of them. Also the Otway Fly http://www.otwayfly.com/ is lovely and you walk around on suspended walkways amongst the trees. We stayed in the Comfort Inn at Apollo Bay http://www.theinternational.info/ which is quite basic but fine and has a pool and Apollo Bay is lovely and then drove around and did the sightseeing from there.

Lorraine
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

No, not too ambitious. see if you can also swing by castlemaine/ bendigo on your way back from whatever the grampians are called now.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Went for my 40th last year. Stayed at Portland, went as far as Robe in South Australia, came back via Port Fairy, Warnambool (spell check?), 12 Apostles and Apollo Bay. Took a week.

All were incredibly beautiful but favourites were Port Fairy and Warnambool. 12 Apostles was beautiful but accomodation was awful so you need only visit on route.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed at Captains at the Bay in Apollo Bay a month or so ago on our trip from Melbourne to Adelaide. Nice place.

http://www.captains.net.au/

Got a very good rate through www.wotif.com
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 11:24 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
We did the GOR at Easter and it's beautiful. The 12 Apostles are fabulous and we went up in a helicopter whilst there which was fantastic. You get to see a whole different view of them.
Lorraine

You mean the "Eight Apostles" I think :-)
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 11:26 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Don't miss the Grampians , spectacular mountain scenery, one of the best destinations in OZ in my opinion.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Nico has a spectacular aura aboutNico has a spectacular aura aboutNico has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Don't miss the Grampians , spectacular mountain scenery, one of the best destinations in OZ in my opinion.
Yup, we did the GOR last year then the Grampians, stayed in Port Fairy and loved it. Sometimes I look on the property web-sites and choose myself a little house there!!
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by @boy
You mean the "Eight Apostles" I think :-)

I've not yet been to see them....but from the photos....er what's the big deal...looks a bit like Cornwall to me.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 1:09 pm
The Analog Kid

sa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: The Great Ocean Road

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
I've not yet been to see them....but from the photos....er what's the big deal...looks a bit like Cornwall to me.
Warrnambool has links with Devon nice spot to stop and visit
very helpful tourist information too
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I've done the trip from Melbourne to Port Fairy 4 times.

Best go on the Freeway via Colac to Warrnambool...then pick up the GOR west...then come back to Melb along the GOR...that way you'll see all the highlights.

To get to the Grampians, and see all the sights...you'd need a long weekend to give it anywhere nr justice.

Give you another bit of advice...go to Johanna Beach...it is my favourite, and always empty ...near Otway National Park...and while you are in the NP...go and walk round Maitlands Rest.

If you want any more info...PM me

Cas