British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Great ocean road (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/great-ocean-road-278187/)

Curls Jan 17th 2005 6:11 pm

Great ocean road

Hi all we are going to melbourne for our holiday very soon and plan a few days traveling along the G/o/r. and wondered if anyone could tell us the must see and maybe the not so good we have teenage children. :) any info would be good.

pako Jan 17th 2005 6:21 pm

Re: Great ocean road

Originally Posted by Curls
Hi all we are going to melbourne for our holiday very soon and plan a few days traveling along the G/o/r. and wondered if anyone could tell us the must see and maybe the not so good we have teenage children. :) any info would be good.

Hi there

I would see Lorne and the 12 apostles...exactly how many days will do you want to spend on the great ocean rd? My husband took me last Easter for a 10 day van tour that way. We had heaps of fun. He's originally from Geelong and knows the area very well.

Kathy

fraser Jan 17th 2005 6:33 pm

We spent a week in Apollo bay a couple of yeras a go very nice but quiet. Lorne is definately the way to go if you have teenage children

yonk Jan 17th 2005 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by fraser
We spent a week in Apollo bay a couple of yeras a go very nice but quiet. Lorne is definately the way to go if you have teenage children

Liked Apollo Bay - can recommend Rayville Boathouses as a lovely place to stay but it is quiet.

wombat42 Jan 17th 2005 7:41 pm

Port Fairy fantastic scenic fishing viilage, great surf and swimming beach, walk
around Griffith lsland at the edge of town.

Curls Jan 17th 2005 10:18 pm

Thank you all for the info much appreciated ;) cant wait to go!

Shellfish Jan 17th 2005 11:35 pm

We just spend Christmas at Apollo Bay, absolutely gorgeous. The whole of the GOR is breathtaking! If you have teenagers, I would also recommend Lorne or Torquay (the home of Australian surfing apparently) but spent some days going up to the 12 apostles, Port Campbell, the Otway ranges (rainforest) it's all so worth the trip and Port Fairy is meant to be lovely but I haven't been myself. They are quite a distance from Lorne but worth the trip (the journey is as good as the destination) - have a great time :D

worzel Jan 18th 2005 3:39 pm

Just to the west of the 12 Apostles there are a few caves / outcrops. One was nicknamed London Bridge (until one arch collapsed a few years ago stranding a couple of bemused tourists!). There are lots of parking places along that stretch with plenty of interesting information about many ships that went down and who survived etc. I would also turn North at some point and drive into the Grampian hills for a few hours. There is a Maritime museum at Warnambool at the end of the GOR but it was nothing special IMHO.

eintracht Jan 18th 2005 4:04 pm

Worth checking out Bendigo and Ballarat if you get the chance.