Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Great Ocean Road

Great Ocean Road

Old May 5th 2004, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough
Question Great Ocean Road

We hope to drive the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne to Adelaide in December - think we'll spend about 3 nights en route.

Anybody else done this trip? If so are there any suggestions for good places to stay on the route? I have brochures coming out of my ears and am a bit overwhelmed...!

(oh, the choices!)
Old May 5th 2004, 9:02 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Great Ocean Road

Originally posted by Olive101
We hope to drive the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne to Adelaide in December - think we'll spend about 3 nights en route.

Anybody else done this trip? If so are there any suggestions for good places to stay on the route? I have brochures coming out of my ears and am a bit overwhelmed...!

(oh, the choices!)

I found this website really useful when I drove it
http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/index.asp

there was a post on this about a month ago, I'll see if I can find it for you.

Old May 5th 2004, 9:04 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by mlbonner
I found this website really useful when I drove it
http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/index.asp

there was a post on this about a month ago, I'll see if I can find it for you.

That was easier than I thought

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=222141

Happy reading!!
Old May 5th 2004, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Nope - I'm afraid that wasn't quick enough or helpful enough!

Thanks! That should keep me quiet for a bit....

I'll get my maps out and have a look later.

(This site could knock spots off the encyclopaedia britannica!)

olive
Old May 5th 2004, 9:15 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

Nope - I'm afraid that wasn't quick enough or helpful enough!

Thanks! That should keep me quiet for a bit....

I'll get my maps out and have a look later.

(This site could knock spots off the encyclopaedia britannica!)

olive

I know, I've disappointed even myself; three whole minutes from your initial post to my response and then a HUGE wait of 120 seconds until I found the second link..... dammit, can see more work needed here

enjoy your planning!
Old May 5th 2004, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Lorne is a great place to stay, we found a neat motel ($70 a night if I remember correctly).

You could just sit on the balcony and watch the dolphins.
Old May 6th 2004, 6:40 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Originally posted by Trevglas
Lorne is a great place to stay, we found a neat motel ($70 a night if I remember correctly).

You could just sit on the balcony and watch the dolphins.

Yep, I stayed in Lorne too - woke up and fed the local wildlife (the parrots) was lovely
Old May 6th 2004, 6:57 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

when i did it we camped in Robe, appollo bay and then lorne. lorne was the nicest of the three places. had a wonderful meal at one of the restaurants along the beach front but unfortunately cant remember which one it was so thats no use at all is it.
Old May 6th 2004, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

(oh, the choices!)
Warrnambool and Apollo Bay are also nice places to stay.

What a lot of people do is to get a 'Flag Pass' which makes your travel flexible so that you can stop at a Flag Motel wherever you fancy (providing you stay in motels of the colour rating of your pass). For more details:

http://www.pacificislandtravel.com/a...comm_flag.html

http://www.warrnambool.org/
http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/apollobay/

Enjoy, but remember to take the seasickness tablets.

OzTennis
Old May 6th 2004, 8:12 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

We've done the GOR twice now, though not quite as far as Adelaide. We are actually about to go back for the weekend at the end of May too.

We've stayed in Port Campbell at a place called "Waves" which I can highly recommend - King Spa suites with jacuzzi and the biggest bed I have EVER seen for pretty reasonable prices.
http://www.standard.net.au/~waves/
Port Campell itself is really pretty with a decent bunch of restaurants etc.

But I have to say it has recently been surpassed in our opinion by a place in Port Fairy - a bit further west where we stqayed in "Johannsen's Perch" for next to nothing! Big, 3 storey house in private grounds on the marina. Fab facilities inc a lovely deck with gas bbq etc.
http://www.johperch.com.au/
Port Fairy is beautiful. Stunning beaches, a lovely town and more places to eat and drink than you can shake a stick at.

We found the advantage to both these places is their proximity to the 12 apostles so they are good places to stay if you want to so the sunset/sunrise photo opps - well worth it.

This is Johannssons -
Old May 6th 2004, 8:14 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by emmahafryn
Hiya,

We've done the GOR twice now, though not quite as far as Adelaide. We are actually about to go back for the weekend at the end of May too.

We've stayed in Port Campbell at a place called "Waves" which I can highly recommend - King Spa suites with jacuzzi and the biggest bed I have EVER seen for pretty reasonable prices.
http://www.standard.net.au/~waves/
Port Campell itself is really pretty with a decent bunch of restaurants etc.

But I have to say it has recently been surpassed in our opinion by a place in Port Fairy - a bit further west where we stqayed in "Johannsen's Perch" for next to nothing! Big, 3 storey house in private grounds on the marina. Fab facilities inc a lovely deck with gas bbq etc.
http://www.johperch.com.au/
Port Fairy is beautiful. Stunning beaches, a lovely town and more places to eat and drink than you can shake a stick at.

We found the advantage to both these places is their proximity to the 12 apostles so they are good places to stay if you want to so the sunset/sunrise photo opps - well worth it.

This is Johannssons -
Attached Thumbnails Great Ocean Road-johan.jpg  
Old May 6th 2004, 8:29 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne to Adelaide in 3 days via the Ocean Road is a lot of driving each day ... a week might be a better option.

If you're in Lorne early in January you might even see me doing the Pier to Pub swim ... :-))

Best regards.

(oh, the choices!)
Old May 6th 2004, 8:32 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

How much is there in the South Australian part? I have heard that part of the road is not too great.
Old May 6th 2004, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
How much is there in the South Australian part? I have heard that part of the road is not too great.
Great Ocean Road is really a Vic thing. After the border beyond Nelson, if you were going to Adelaide you would head inland to Mt Gambier (see PeteY fishing) and you wouldn't really hit the coast again until Robe. That GOR website mentioned has some wonderful pictures, information, individual town pages, maps etc.

I haven't continued on to Adelaide that way (usually went the inland route) so I'm not sure about the roads in the SA bit. As I said earlier on some of the Vic bits you need to make sure you've taken your Quells or similar but it is not because the road is dodgy, just 'hairy' as in hairpin bends, steep drops, noise of the crashing surf etc!

OzTennis