Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Great Ocean Road

The Great Ocean Road

Old Dec 27th 2003, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default The Great Ocean Road

I have been planning a drive for when my daughter comes for a holiday. The Great Ocean Road runs between Adelaide and Melbourne. I found this wonderful website with stunning pics of all the places ot see along hte way and i thought you guys might enjoy having a look too.
When you click on the black and white pics you get to see them enlarged and in colour. I getting very excited about htis trip!!

Enjoy..

http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/efeat...agegallery.htm
Old Dec 27th 2003, 11:35 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Australia Felix

Take a walk on the wild side - amble up recently extinct volcano Mt Napier to enjoy the forest and take in views of the Grampians.

Mount Napier State Park

The Grampians

Take a road less travelled try:
Pyrenees
Old Dec 27th 2003, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Great Ocean Road

Originally posted by podgypossum
I have been planning a drive for when my daughter comes for a holiday. The Great Ocean Road runs between Adelaide and Melbourne. I found this wonderful website with stunning pics of all the places ot see along hte way and i thought you guys might enjoy having a look too.
When you click on the black and white pics you get to see them enlarged and in colour. I getting very excited about htis trip!!

Enjoy..

PP,
Did the Great Ocean Road this year. Fantastic. Strongly recomend the helicopter ride - well worth the $70.

Ken
Old Dec 27th 2003, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

where do you get the helicopter ride from Ken?
Old Dec 27th 2003, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

we are hoping to emigrate next year...can't wait for a few days time when we can say THIS year and would love to travel from Melbourne to Adelaida via The Great Ocean Road when we arrive so really appreciated the link posted above...what stunning scenery!
Old Dec 28th 2003, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point

where do you get the helicopter ride from Ken?
PP
When you get to the Twelve Apostiles there is a visitor centre kind of thing with a car park and toilets etc. The helicopter ride is there.

Also we did it on an APT coach trip - so we saw more - as the road is very scenic and twisty.

Ken
Old Dec 30th 2003, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Enjoy..

Lorne is a good place to stop. Went this year and enjoyed it. After Mount Gambier the drive is relentlessly dull and tedious so enjoy the first leg at leisure and be sure to stop off at every opportunity. Can recommend the Dawn platypus kayak!
Old Dec 30th 2003, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Muppet...when you say "dull and tedious" in what sense do you mean?..is it just plain red earth dirt roads etc?..or just green trees?!!
Old Dec 30th 2003, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Muppet...when you say "dull and tedious" in what sense do you mean?..is it just plain red earth dirt roads etc?..or just green trees?!!
Well it was LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG but to be fair there were one or two pretty little fishing villages worth dropping in on. The drive is flat and the scenery doesn't change much! For a long way!
Old Dec 30th 2003, 4:55 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by muppetking
Lorne is a good place to stop. Went this year and enjoyed it. After Mount Gambier the drive is relentlessly dull and tedious so enjoy the first leg at leisure and be sure to stop off at every opportunity.
I have heard that about the drive from a few people.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 6:42 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Malley scrub is dull to drive through but keen gardners should stop, hop out, have lunch or tea and wander through the bush for 10-15 minutes. In spring, especially, you will find a few surprises to make the drive more fun.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 5:39 pm
FayenPaul

faye_gillan is an unknown quantity at this point

G'day little possum
The drive along the G.O.R. is one of the most amazing ever. The scenery is beautiful. Although there are lots of stop off points along the way, our general opinion was once you've seen one - you've seen them all so do limit yourself. The 12 Apostle's are a must though. Once your past this the road however is very twisty. You could also stp at Bells Beach which is where the scences from Point Break are filmed. You could also go through "the Grampians" as there are some amazing sights there. MacKenzie Falls is one. Beware though there are loads of flies which can be rather annoying at times. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought i'd bring this one to the top again, any advice on whether its worth doing the drive if you have a limited schedule / time?? We have only 3 weeks to do Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne