British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Great life in the UK, why move (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/great-life-uk-why-move-486355/)

pommie pink pants Oct 10th 2007 6:17 am

Great life in the UK, why move

Read on the forum a number of people who say in the UK they have a high paying job they like, a great social life, great friends and realtives, like living in the Uk and trips to Europe, but still want to immigrate to OZ. Why? Are these people doomed to return back to the Uk after only 6 months or so
because OZ can not measure up to their high expectations or give them a better life then what they had in the UK or replace the friends and relatives they left behind.

jonjelly Oct 10th 2007 6:45 am

Re: Great life in the UK, why move

Yep this is so true, but there are alot of people out there that think theres something 'better' out there, me and my husband were 2 of those people and have been here 6 months and going home in January as we had such a good life in the UK and have realised what a fantastic country it is. we had our rose tinted glasses on, thinking that their wouldnt be any crime in oz, better lifestyle etc and its not so. we cant wait to get back to good old England!!:D

Hutch Oct 10th 2007 6:53 am

Originally Posted by pommie pink pants (Post 5407116)
Are these people doomed to return back to the Uk after only 6 months or so because OZ can not measure up to their high expectations.

Yes.

Streaks Oct 10th 2007 7:02 am

I think for some people the yearning to experience something new and different overides the practicalities of living somewhere other than their 'home' country and sometimes it doesn't live up to the expectations they had. It all adds up to life experience whether it works for them or not allbeit an expensive adventure but an adventure never the less.
S xx

Amazulu Oct 10th 2007 7:06 am

We had a great life in the UK but have a better life here.
We did not leave there because we did not like the UK - only we prefer living here. Simple really.

philnorris Oct 10th 2007 7:19 am

Thing is you have to go and try it for yourself otherwise you will never know.

All countries are the same if you ask me, you have to work hard for a living, there is crime, it is expensive to live, times can be hard no matter where you live, we do have to pay unexpected bills.

My reasons for wanting to go to Australia are, the Sunnier climate, the wildlife, the beechs and the parks, there is probably other things, but those are my favourites.

esperanza Oct 10th 2007 7:34 am

Not everyone leaves the UK looking for something better, some are happy with something different. Which they can find in a new country which will offer a new challenge & new experiences.
Is it also possible that these are the kind of people who are naturally inclined to be happy & content, glass-half-full kind of people? In which case they may find it easier to be happy in a new country than someone who has their heart set on escaping the awful UK for a life of milk & honey in Australia?

Timber Floor Au Oct 10th 2007 8:03 am

Seems , that some people do think Life is split into 3 teams.

Us
Them
and oh..the..others..

When in reality, we all have different hopes and aspirations.

Its a bit like the fella who wanted everything, but didnt have no money.
Then when he gets the money, he wants for nothing..

I would hope, that those, that read the forums, can see a deeper and underlying trend occuring, these last few years with regards to Migration.

In that, the thrill of the chase isnt let down, by the expectation of the kill.

So to often, people get caught up, in my opinion, in the adrenalin rush of what is a very complicated procedure, and the protracted times it takes to get their visa.

Nowadays, from what I see at least on the forums, and thats in part thanks to the provision of invaluable advice and personal experiences by the members, are more people asking the right questions, and more of them.

Whatever anyone chooses, you have to respect their decision, cos whatever it seems they are doing, a lot of thought and consideration has gone into it. I am sure people whatever their personal or financial circustances, do not take the decision of moving abroad lightly !

Steve

thebaggos Oct 10th 2007 10:00 am

Just wondered what the ratio of people who return back to UK is and after
how long?? Say 70% stay and 30% return after 1 year??

Wendy Oct 10th 2007 10:04 am

Originally Posted by thebaggos (Post 5407708)
Just wondered what the ratio of people who return back to UK is and after
how long?? Say 70% stay and 30% return after 1 year??

Every year there's about 20% of Brits arriving permanently to those departing permanently. But the statistics show that only 2% actually go home for good after a certain amount of years.

(that's 2% within the first 2 years, 2% after 2 - 3 years, 2% after 3- 4 years etc etc) :)

acbh2 Oct 10th 2007 10:20 am

For me personally had the UK had the weather I have now I may never have left! was fed up of spending most weekends inside due to bad weather, I also got terribly down in the winter when there was very little sun. Been here 3 months so still early days but i love it so much, and am definately much more happy and chilled (ask my OH;))

Axx

Famous 5 Oct 10th 2007 10:22 am

My family had a very comfortable life in the UK, but like a lot of people we had reached a point where we wanted to try something different before it was too late to do anything about it. Some of our friends in London who felt the same way moved to Dorset, Cornwall, Devon, Yorkshire etc., but we decided on Australia - a bit further out of London than most people we knew who moved, but we were probably motivated by much the same things as they were - more relaxed lifestyle, more time with the family, less stressful jobs etc. We were lucky enough to have had several holidays in Australia which we had really enjoyed so we thought we'd give it a go.

We've had our ups and downs, but on the whole it is good and we are still here 15 months after we arrived. I still miss my London life, but that doesn't mean I don't also enjoy and appreciate what I've got here. I think I would have struggled even if I had moved out of London to somewhere else in the UK as it is always hard to leave friends/support networks and start again. But not everyone who had a good life in the UK goes back; some people just like to have a change now and then. I'm not saying we'll stay here forever as I don't know what's around the corner, but it's home for now.

themerlin Oct 10th 2007 10:28 am

Not sure, I think if you are a happy positive person then you will be happy where ever you are, where as if you are a negative winger then most likely you will be unhappy everywhere.

Originally Posted by pommie pink pants (Post 5407116)
Are these people doomed to return back to the Uk after only 6 months or so
because OZ can not measure up to their high expectations or give them a better life then what they had in the UK or replace the friends and relatives they left behind.

Pollyana Oct 10th 2007 10:29 am

There is large number of migrants who have a great life in the UK but come here because their family is here, or because its the home of their spouse. Not everyone moves for a "better lifestyle" - same as not everyone goes home because they didn't find that elusive "lifestyle" - they go back for family reasons, health problems, spouse wants to go home.
I don't think anyone is "dommed" when they arrive - in many cases its just a question of what cards life deals them.

worzel Oct 10th 2007 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 5407215)
We had a great life in the UK but have a better life here.
We did not leave there because we did not like the UK - only we prefer living here. Simple really.

Totally agree:thumbup: