Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Great Example of Newspapers Mis-representing the Facts About Rental Costs

Great Example of Newspapers Mis-representing the Facts About Rental Costs

Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:24 am
FHI
Forum Regular

FHI is on a distinguished road
Default Great Example of Newspapers Mis-representing the Facts About Rental Costs

The attached article appears in todays Sydney Morning Herald and suggests that rents have risen massively in the past year in Rose Bay (sort of up market Sydney suburb) and elsewhere in the country.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/rents...1118-il2l.html

I have a friend who was looking to rent a house in Rose Bay last year and no way was the average rent $600 at that time - he couldnt see anything for under $850. So the rental increase was not anything like 58.3% in Rose Bay and i am sure rents have not gone up by the reported figure in other suburbs.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:51 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Great Example of Newspapers Mis-representing the Facts About Rental Costs

Could be worse, one property site quotes average rentals as:

Displaying Real Estate Results For Suburb : Rose Bay 2029
Average price for Rose Bay : $6542

and just to check they are quoting weekly, another suburb
Displaying Real Estate Results For Suburb : St Clair 2759
Average price for St Clair : $360

Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:28 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Great Example of Newspapers Mis-representing the Facts About Rental Costs

We rented our apartment in Middle Park last year for $380 a week. Now we're leaving (ex to buy her own place and I'm heading to QLD), and the place has just gone on the market for $395, so not a huge jump.

Will be sad to leave, it's been a great little pad. Would have been better with air-con, but I guess you can't have it all...
Old Nov 19th 2009, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future

I'm renting in Rose Bay and having looked around it's cheaper than Bondi, Double Bay, Coogee and a lot of other eastern suburbs. I'm not talking houses though, just apartments..