Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Great Australian Property Swindle

The Great Australian Property Swindle

Old Apr 1st 2011, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Great Australian Property Swindle

Originally Posted by asprilla
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
You could say that someone who follows a fool is more of a fool than the fool himself but because that fool also followed a fool then they are of equal fool status. You could also say that the fool who followed last is more of a fool because they are closer to the impact created by the bursting 'bubble'.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 3:59 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

When I left you, I was but the learner...

Originally Posted by Fluid36
You could say that someone who follows a fool is more of a fool than the fool himself but because that fool also followed a fool then they are of equal fool status. You could also say that the fool who followed last is more of a fool because they are closer to the impact created by the bursting 'bubble'.

I think the following fool is the more foolish, because you are literally doubling the numbers/volumes/incidence of foolishness. However, my brother argues that the fool is the more foolish, simply because he is THE fool, the yardstick by which foolishness should be measured.

I'll leave you all to work it out between yourselves...

S
Old Apr 1st 2011, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like international investors are getting uneasy doling out loans to banks out here...

.........according to National Australia Bank finance director Mark Joiner:
Mr Joiner also warned of extra costs as a result of global capital and liquidity reforms to cut the risk of another financial crisis

With short-term wholesale funding no longer an option under the new rules, NAB had to raise a further $45 billion-$50bn of long-term debt just to maintain the size of its loan book, let alone grow it, he said

Responding to a question, he sounded a sombre note on housing prices, saying they were unlikely to rise because prices were "out of step" with international trends and affordability was very low.

The commentary is likely to annoy Commonwealth Bank and Westpac, which have much larger mortgage books than NAB.

The Sydney-based banks have often argued that the domestic market is supported by strong migration and a shortage of housing stock. But Mr Joiner said that when he advanced such arguments to international investors, they responded that he sounded like the CFOs of Irish banks.

"People will realise that taking a 2 per cent pre-tax yield on renting a house that isn't going up in value doesn't make sense if you are paying 7-8 per cent for the associated loan," he said.

People were likely to "fall out of love" with property, as they would with equities, with offshore investors generally of the view that local stocks had "had their run".
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1226031633198

That looks ominous.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Where are they going to put the 1500 people per week that are supposedly moving to Melbourne ?
Old Apr 1st 2011, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
You remind me of this other guy who used to make outlandish predictions.

"it'll be $2.40 by September" he used to say.
still here
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Where are they going to put the 1500 people per week that are supposedly moving to Melbourne ?
i believe that the U.K has high nett migration, and that hasnt stopped prices falling
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:12 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eugene43
still here
The 'other guy' wasn't you.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

I would highlight the word supposedly as the key here
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 8:47 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
I would highlight the word supposedly as the key here
Done for you
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 10:52 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Pakenham.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's going to make interesting reading the Auction results here in Melbourne, in tomorrows paper.

Come to think of it they probably have already been collated.

Will check it out.

61 pct clearance rate by the looks of things.

Not very many properties listed on there thusfar though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 2nd 2011 at 11:43 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 11:46 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Which ever country we live in the market will fluctuate based on economic variances.

Buying houses should be something in the long run not a short term investment.
buying houses should be for family dwelling / shelter and not as speculative investment.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
The 'other guy' wasn't you.
I can be who you want me to be.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by commonwealth
buying houses should be for family dwelling / shelter and not as speculative investment.
I think there is always some element of investment when you buy a property because you are purchasing something you can never possibly use up in your lifetime i.e. land.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 7:00 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I think there is always some element of investment when you buy a property because you are purchasing something you can never possibly use up in your lifetime i.e. land.
i will donate all my assets to charity after my death in 80 years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.