Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Great Australian Mystery

The Great Australian Mystery

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 10:49 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Smile The Great Australian Mystery

Why are the Australians so obsessed with SHEDS and more to the point what do they do or keep in them...?????
Your answers will be greatly appreciated as I wouldn't want to buy a house down under without the correct SHED....!!!

CORKER
Old Jun 4th 2005, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Great Australian Mystery

Originally Posted by CORKER
Why are the Australians so obsessed with SHEDS and more to the point what do they do or keep in them...?????
Your answers will be greatly appreciated as I wouldn't want to buy a house down under without the correct SHED....!!!

CORKER
Aussies love gardening and DIY. They keep tools and whatnot in the shed and if it's big enough will convert it into a workshop. They also keep old unwanted furniture in there until hard-rubbish day.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 12:26 am
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

CORKER
I think the Aussie "Shed" is a little bit like the fellas little home stead - a piece of land where he can get away from the misses and kids pretending he's doing some sort of DIY, but really has his can or two of Tooheys or XXXX etc hidden away ......
but hey what do I know (I'm female) .... this would be a good start to some fruitful ideas of what an aussie male actually does do in his shed ...................... maybe a bit like Jack Duckworth and his homing pigeons in Coronation Street !!!!! :scared:

I wait with eager anticipation for the ideas (especially from female point of view)

Hey at least it gives the red backs somewhere to dine & wait eh ......
Old Jun 4th 2005, 1:44 am
Badge

well, well - I tried to start a thread like this a while back.

I have started to create my own bit of Strayan culture.

I now have a growing range of axes, mowers, fuel cans, splitters, a few 500/1000w halogen lights...and a new generator bought for fifty bucks.

The Chief of Staff chucked an old bench off our deck in the summer it is now under the obligatory tool rack against the back wall near the back door with a bit of old carpet for comfort over it. I can sit on it and ruminate looking down the yard and paddock.

She came looking for me, she was everywhere and fond me smugly sitting there looking content.

"You're not just a pretty face, are you", she said.

I am trying to get some posters for the opposite wall - I saw a great Lone Stat one in Captain America's in Ferntree Gulley and am trying to get hold of the same. My wife has allocated me the corridor to hang all my 'ego' pictures and certificates but I want to hang sporting memobilia in the shed lol.

My boss owns 60 acres in N Melbourne and he built his shed - the size of a small aircraft hanger - before he started his house. it has a kitchenette, shower, boat, motobikes, power tools and racks of tool cabinets- the works. He loves it. We have a guy at ework who can source GMC tools for a song and a group of us are all starting our shed collections. Go GMC!!

My neighbour has a beauty too.

Badge

PS The actual shed (tiny) is used to store fertiliser etc - my 'shed' is the garage but we don't use it for car storage lol.

I am planning on bulding a wood shed in the paddock with some wood left over from our renovated (in progress) roof pergola so I can tow wood delivery down to it.

Last edited by Badge; Jun 4th 2005 at 2:08 am.

Old Jun 4th 2005, 2:07 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot have too many sheds.

Our last place had 6 (until a storm came through and destroyed one and I had to get Badgers to help me demolish it). Three of them were pretty ordinary (1.5m x 1.5m type standard garden sheds). One held our wood pile, one was the chook shed and the other (the one that fell down) held straw and chook food. Then the other three ..... we had a double garage (about 6m by 5m), an open fronted metal shed (about 8m by 6m) and the big shed (about 10m by 10m) which had an airconditioned office and a workshop extension off the back.

Now I am down to one shed (about 12m by 9m) which is absolutely full of stuff and I am just building another small one (2m by 2m) to house the swimming pool pump and filter.

I think Aussies need sheds because they do not store stuff in their loft space.

I need sheds because I do not believe in throwing stuff away.

Anyway, off to build my new shed (if I can find my tools in my existing shed)

Cheers,

ShedBoy
Old Jun 4th 2005, 6:45 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DagBoy
You cannot have too many sheds.

Our last place had 6 (until a storm came through and destroyed one and I had to get Badgers to help me demolish it). Three of them were pretty ordinary (1.5m x 1.5m type standard garden sheds). One held our wood pile, one was the chook shed and the other (the one that fell down) held straw and chook food. Then the other three ..... we had a double garage (about 6m by 5m), an open fronted metal shed (about 8m by 6m) and the big shed (about 10m by 10m) which had an airconditioned office and a workshop extension off the back.

Now I am down to one shed (about 12m by 9m) which is absolutely full of stuff and I am just building another small one (2m by 2m) to house the swimming pool pump and filter.

I think Aussies need sheds because they do not store stuff in their loft space.

I need sheds because I do not believe in throwing stuff away.

Anyway, off to build my new shed (if I can find my tools in my existing shed)

Cheers,

ShedBoy
My inlaws house is a shed.

They have a 450acre hobby farm in Chapman Valley just north of Geraldton and.

I wish I had a photo it is a massive colourbond shed with the big sliding doors, one half of it has a single brick 4x1 house built inside and the other half is used for storage.

Then they have
the chook shed
the shearing shed
the storage shed which has about 6 old utes in it
the car shed
the baby sick lamb shed (this is where the lambs live if there mummys disown them and they need hand rearing)
the grain shed which also houses the cool room

Basically loads of sheds.

The Aussies cant get enough of them, I want one to send the hubby to when he annoys me.

Kala
Old Jun 4th 2005, 8:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally OT but thought it too sad to give it a thread of it's own... Whilst looking at all the houses I want to buy on't internet, loads of them say 2pac kitchens. Can someone tell me WTF this means please
Old Jun 4th 2005, 9:41 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

CORKER
Historically in OZ and NZ the shed has been a "boys bar" where secret mens' business is conducted

I think they are a bit out of fashion now unless you are a genuine DIY/gardening guru type

Gimme a pool instead and a decent BBQ area anyday
Old Jun 4th 2005, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Totally OT but thought it too sad to give it a thread of it's own... Whilst looking at all the houses I want to buy on't internet, loads of them say 2pac kitchens. Can someone tell me WTF this means please
Not an expert, but I think it's a super-shiny, tough, sort of plasticy coating you get on kitchen cupboard doors. Trendy a few years ago. 2pac actually stands for something but I can't remember what.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 10:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
Not an expert, but I think it's a super-shiny, tough, sort of plasticy coating you get on kitchen cupboard doors. Trendy a few years ago. 2pac actually stands for something but I can't remember what.
Thank you. Back on topic again. Sorry to hi-jack
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:03 am
Badge

Originally Posted by JayDeee

The Aussies cant get enough of them, I want one to send the hubby to when he annoys me.

Kala
he'll be there anyhow.
Badge