Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Great Australian Housing Bubble

The Great Australian Housing Bubble

Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice
Default Re: The Great Australian Housing Bubble

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
You seem clued up Steve2009, how do Australia come up with the statistic for salaary V size of mortgage ratio? I'm wondering because I read in a couple of places where they seem to be spinning the real ratio to make things look "better".
This is correct - the CBA report that they were taking to overseas investors used two separate but different ratios between wage and property cost -

1) A UBS wage number that includes "imputed rent" (not 100% sure what that is, it doesn't seem to be a commonly-used measure).

2) A standard widely-used measure of income v property value.

They used 2) for the overseas markets (and they picked their comparisons fairly arbirtarily too) and 1) for Aus markets. This had the effect of narrowing the gap between Aus and overseas and making Aus look somewhat "normal", if expensive.

The media here reported this as "Aus bank shows johnny foreigner that he doesn't understand the Aus RE market, and all is well". But a lot of Australian and overseas economic bloggers picked up the blatant misinformation and showed it up for what it was.

http://www.unconventionaleconomist.c...g-housing.html
Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I still haven't managed to get a response from Leith Van Olsenen, but any money invested in housing in a year becomes part of GDP. So if Aussies spend AUD 250 Bn on property and GDP is AUD 1000 Bn then property represents 25% of GDP. Since these figures are about where we are right now I think it's ridiculous to compare house prices to GDP per capita since the component on the x axis makes up 25% of the component you are comparing to on the y axis.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:51 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve2009
You're being overly complimentary there. I just have an inquisitive and critical mind.

Which statistics are you referring to? I find the Australian statistics awful, Greece would do a better job. The ABS website alone is a shambles.
Not statistics as such but stories reported in WA news papers. And also sent to me in an email from a mortgage broker (Think he could be biased)!

Basically it looked to me like they we're taking the national average salary, which would be higher because it includes all capital cities. But then comparing it against mortgaged properties that were't from all capital cities - so therefore the salary V mortgage seems favourably.

When in reality the mortgage average should have been a lot higher because it didn't have all metro areas.

I was wondering if there was an official statistic for this thats all.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Post up his email if you feel comfortable. If it came from a mortgage broker then I would be confident it's a load of rubbish. It's probably the home price to GDP figure? You can get the statistics from the RBA yourself and pump them into a spreadsheet. It's all open to interpretation though there are medians and means, both have their flaws.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Post up his email if you feel comfortable. If it came from a mortgage broker then I would be confident it's a load of rubbish. It's probably the home price to GDP figure? You can get the statistics from the RBA yourself and pump them into a spreadsheet. It's all open to interpretation though there are medians and means, both have their flaws.
I personally cant remember seeing a house price : GDP or GDP/head ratio? I agree with you that would nonsense.

The CBA controversy was all about median wage : median house price.

What Bristol seems to be talking about is wages v price/mortgage, not wages v GDP? If so, I agree with what you're saying (Bristol) as it either needs to be wages v price for one area, or a general figure for the whole country, not a bit of both :-)

A better way to look at it anyways is % of take-home salary which goes to paying mortgage. A standard benchmark for that is no more than 35%, though obviously if you earn big money (say >250k) thats less valid.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 2:29 am
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by littda01
I personally cant remember seeing a house price : GDP or GDP/head ratio? I agree with you that would nonsense.

The CBA controversy was all about median wage : median house price.

What Bristol seems to be talking about is wages v price/mortgage, not wages v GDP? If so, I agree with what you're saying (Bristol) as it either needs to be wages v price for one area, or a general figure for the whole country, not a bit of both :-)

A better way to look at it anyways is % of take-home salary which goes to paying mortgage. A standard benchmark for that is no more than 35%, though obviously if you earn big money (say >250k) thats less valid.
Email deleted already! I don't normally read these kind of emails because they serve some self interest. http://www.loanmarket.com.au/ was the source.

Yes this does sum up the point I raised. My Gramp's advice was never borrow more than 3.5 my salary and I've always stuck by this. % terms I'm at 32%. I just cant imagine how people manage with mortgage's 8-9 times they're income - thats crazy.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
Yes this does sum up the point I raised. My Gramp's advice was never borrow more than 3.5 my salary and I've always stuck by this. % terms I'm at 32%. I just cant imagine how people manage with mortgage's 8-9 times they're income - thats crazy.
Your gramps was a wise man.
Originally Posted by littda01
http://seekingalpha.com/article/2270...housing-bubble
Leith Van Onselen has one there, 5th chart. Not sure if he was responding to someone else who had used it previously.