Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The grass isn't always greener

The grass isn't always greener

Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:30 am
Banned

standbyme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The grass isn't always greener

I've been a lurker and decided to register.

I just found it strange after reading many articles about people who have moved to Australia and not liked it and want (and some have) moved back.

I think sometimes people rush into it and don't realise the same problems you face in the UK you will face in Australia.

You still need a job that pays the bills, still need a home 9I was shocked by the prices of housing in Australia), still need new friends and the day to day problems are still there and this infact maybe made worse by the fact your family and friends are 1000's of miles away.

Even the weather can actually be a problem, you hear of how nice it is but the heat can be devastating and we all know the risks from skin cancer etc....Even little things you dont consider like I read about someone who was terribly ill from a spider bite all these little things have to be weighed up.

I just think sometimes forums like this dont always show a balanced view.

Thanks.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:37 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The grass isn't always greener

Disagree.

There is a few on here who have spilt there guts for the benefit of a few, look up "Brits1" that one is a real complainer who had no idea what they wanted....

Some pearlers on here, just seek and you shall find.....
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Angie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really niceAngie78 is just really nice

My family and I moved out to Australia in 2007 left in 2010 We loved it, but after getting word that my dad had two heart attacks, I made the choice to come back home (N,Ireland). Yes life was hard at times out in OZ, trying to fit in getting use to the heat etc, but we were a family in OZ, here hubby works away and kids spend half their time in bedrooms on computers or on phones. We had family time in OZ it cost nothing to back up a few rolls and some burgers and go for a barbie in a nice park, kids was always running around and enjoying the sun. We are now looking into going back to Australia. Well just my wee input, I tried it loved it and hopefully going to love it again
Old Jan 10th 2013, 10:04 am
Banned

susan_dave_williams is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
Disagree.

There is a few on here who have spilt there guts for the benefit of a few, look up "Brits1" that one is a real complainer who had no idea what they wanted....

Some pearlers on here, just seek and you shall find.....
I disagree with you lol.

I do sometimes think people go to other countries with that holiday spirit and realise when they move the same problems exist...it may be sunnier but the problems remain and like the OP said this can be made worse when your in a foreign country and a long way from home.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Bonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really nice

I have been here for 6 months and its not all its cracked up to be...the people take some getting used to...most have a broom pole inserted where the sun dont shine...the language used in office enviroments and on TV is terrible. Technology wise its like living in 1985...Fashion???...Sheesh dont make me laugh...Cars???...OMG...a standard Porsche 911...£70K ish in the UK here it would cost me £210K....why? so I'm forced to look at a low tech V8 Holden(Vauxhall) thats why...the Australians are living in a self made bubble...if that bubble bursts you can forget getting your million dollars back for your house here.
Phew rant over...
It is quite good fun here though...but please understand its financial suicide taking money from the UK to here at anything less than 2 to the pound...we did and if you just dont think about it...its fine!!!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Three newbies makingntheir very first post on the samenthread all within the first 5 posts surelymhas to be a BE world record
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:40 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by standbyme
I
I just think sometimes forums like this dont always show a balanced view.

Thanks.
... and that's were you would be wrong. We have the good, the bad, and the ugly on here. You can't get any more balanced than that
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

martin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud ofmartin1978 has much to be proud of

Nope, sometimes the grass is brown and you have to accept you've made a mistake and go back. Or you could embrace it, realise that its a totally different country and give it a go. Then if its still not for you try a different city before moving back to the UK.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
... and that's were you would be wrong. We have the good, the bad, and the ugly on here. You can't get any more balanced than that
Yup.... Most posters on here are very well balanced with a chip on both shoulders
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:46 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I'm closing this thread, the OP appears to have more than one username
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oh they are out in force tonight. Bye guys, more than one username is against the rules.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 12:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I'm closing this thread, the OP appears to have more than one username
Great minds and all that