Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is the grass Greener on the other side?

Wikiposts

Is the grass Greener on the other side?

Old Aug 13th 2003, 11:09 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dotty
No its because City/Coast Positions are sought after by most teachers. None go to the Rural posts by choice, they have to, by the government. The positions in the City/Coast are for those who have done their share outback.

The private schools are very hard to get a job in, obviously they have so many applicants, all the ones who dont want to go bush, plus all the ones who have and now want to get back into the City/Coast. Qld has not got a teacher shortage, apart from male primary school teachers, many dropped out because of the risks of litigation (sexual abuse claims).
I think its a good idea really.

One of our friends has just completed a one year rural teaching placement in Coober Pedy (SA). Suffice it to say she did'nt like it, but she did say one advantage was a) she was actually paid more than she is going to be paid working in Adelaide and b) there was'nt much to spend money on so she saved loads.

You can get lucky though. In SA at least, rural is classed as any area outside Adelaide, so you could get a job in a nice town like Mount Gambier (or Whyalla, not so nice, but still better than Coober!!).
Old Aug 13th 2003, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Owieb

Brilliant post.

footie chick
Old Aug 13th 2003, 11:25 pm
owieb

Originally posted by footie chick
Owieb

Brilliant post.

footie chick
Thank you!

Old Aug 14th 2003, 7:05 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Grass Greener on other side

Originally posted by renth
As for the little crosses by the side of the road. I think they're a good idea. They ought to have them in the UK. Loads have been killed on the A22 in my old village of Nutley. You wouldn't know to drive through it. A load of crosses by the dangerous turnoff would highlight that this was a dangerous spot. Sadly every year there seem to be more deaths there.

Is it my imagination but didn't there used to be accident "black spot" signs in the UK, were they removed because they were racist?
I think you'd find that the crosses by the side of the road is a Catholic thing, ie seen mostly in European Catholic countries so not at all surprising if it is common in Australia. We've got one horrendous one near us where 5 members of one family/ friends group were killed a few weeks ago - 5 black flags, 5 crosses, flowers etc. Makes me slow down every time I see it!
Old Aug 16th 2003, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by owieb
It's actually Trigg beach looking south towards scarabourgh beach and observation city in the background.

The water isn't too bad at the moment, it doesn't vary that much throughout the year. It's about 17-19C now and will get to 22C in the summer. I go in with just a shortie on, it's fine.

Yes I do kitesurf, started last year, it's tops!

I tend to go on the next beach up from whitfords, called Pinnaroo Point or down on the river, here........
thanks for great posts and photos. why did you choose kitesurfing over windsurfing? what would you recommend for a beginner? is there usually enough wind to get up? did you learn on the river, then move to the ocean?

thanks for any information you can provide.

cheers

davidw
Old Aug 16th 2003, 3:36 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

I can only comment on Perth.

As for the lifestyle being better, depends what you are measuring against and what expectations you come here with. I think that is the trouble with most people on this site, they build their hopes up so much and when they arrive they are very disappointed.

If you think you'll land in Oz and all your problems will go away, they won't. At the end of the day you still have the same situations as you do in the UK.

You can certainly have a good lifestyle out here, you will need to work (unless you are mega rich) and work is not that great in Perth at the moment. Salaries are lower than they are in the UK which I don' think a lot of people are prepared for. You'll come here knowing what you were earning in the UK, and you will realistically earn the same amount in dollars. So if you earn £30K in the UK, you'll earn $30K in Perth.

The lower income doesn't really restrict you in Perth as everything is in proportion, but it does make it expensive to travel abroad. Return flights back to the UK would cost in the region of $2,000, which is a few weeks salary!

House rentals can be cheap, but it depends which suburb you live in and finding the right one is crucial. Buying a house is expensive, especially once you start earning aussie dollars. Whether the house is bigger than your UK one will be hard to say.

The weather during the spring/summer/autumn months is fantastic. I would be going to work with a huge smile on my face everyday, just because it gives you such a feel good factor. I live near the coast, about 5mins walk from the beach. I go surfing a few times a weeks, kite surfing during the summer months and walk to restaurants along the beach.

Eating out is affordable and you could to do it several times a week. They have a thing called BYO where you can take your own alchohol to the restaurant/cafe. They charge you corkage, but it does make the meal so much cheaper.

The public transport is great. If you work in the CBD then there are trains every few minutes. They are always on time. Infact, in 12 months of travelling everyday on the train it has only been late once, and that was by 5mins!

The shops aren't open all the time, which some people will find annoying having come from the UK. They close at 5-5:30pm, though they do have late night shopping on Thursdays or Fridays. Sundays the place will be like a ghost town, though the main shopping malls in the city will be open.

Traffic is quiet, compared to the UK. The freeway heading in and out of the city will be busy during rush hour. It will take you a good 45mins to get in when it would normally take 20mins (obviously depending on where you live). Any other time you can get anywhere really easily.

Crime is here, don't think it isn't. It's very difficult to compare it to the UK, it seems a lot worse, but I think that is just because it is reported more. Every couple of weeks the local papers have crime statistics for their area which will list all the break-ins, car thefts etc. Though there may only be a dozen or so listed it does make it feel like it's everywhere. I know people that have been burgeled 2-3 times a year.

Cars are frequently broken into along the beach carparks. They never really take much, but it's not nice to have it happen. So far I have been lucky, but you will read reports of it happening all the time.

There is a lot of vandalism and graffiti everywhere. You will see bus shelters smashed up, graffiti sprayed on anything they can, and that is upsetting to see.

Aussie driving is shite, kids race around in cars and you'll see crosses, flowers and memorials all over the roads where people have been killed in car crashes.

For me, I have a much better lifestyle than I had in the UK and have no intention of ever returning. But I came wanting to chill and relax and live the Australian lifestyle. If you come here expecting to make money, have a career or continue your UK lifestyle then forget it, Perth is not for you.

I would never knock anyone for trying to make a go of it out here, but just make sure you do your home work and you are coming for the right reason. Don't let your expectations run away with you.

Attached is picture of 'my' beach 5mins away! Enjoy!
Thanks for a good balanced and objective post.

Steve.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 4:55 am
owieb

Originally posted by davidw
thanks for great posts and photos. why did you choose kitesurfing over windsurfing? what would you recommend for a beginner? is there usually enough wind to get up? did you learn on the river, then move to the ocean?

thanks for any information you can provide.

cheers

davidw
Perth and WA is one of the best spots in the world for windsurfing and kitesurfing!

In the summer, the SW wind (Freo Doctor) comes in about midday and blows around 15-25knots. At least 5 days a week the wind will be there, and being SW its a cross-on.

There are many great spots all along the coast and on the river, with Lancelin (about 1 hour) away as one the best. But within Perth there is so many places to go you are spoilt for choice.

I chose kitesurfing because it's easier to learn, it's gives me a bigger buzz factor and you can go out in much lighter winds. Though if you asked a windsurfer they'd tell you the complete opposite!

I learnt on the river, a place called lucky bay, then moved to the ocean from there. It's very easy to get going, after a few hours of body dragging and kite flying you'll be ready to get on your board. Within a couple of months you'll be able to stay upwind and do some jumps.

I would advise lessons as kiting is a dangerous sport, not just for yourself but for any body else near you. There are many horror stories of people being dragged across roads, into cars, powerlines etc. If you learn properly and follow a few simple rules you'll be fine.

Check out http://www.windsurfingperth.com.au/wsurf-location.html for some of the locations in and around Perth, there's many more than listed here!

For the current wind in different parts of Perth, plus a great forum goto http://www.seabreeze.com.au

Here is a picture of Lancelin......pure heaven!
Attached Thumbnails Is the grass Greener on the other side?-lancelin02.jpg  

Old Aug 16th 2003, 5:44 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Perth and WA is one of the best spots in the world for windsurfing and kitesurfing!

In the summer, the SW wind (Freo Doctor) comes in about midday and blows around 15-25knots. At least 5 days a week the wind will be there, and being SW its a cross-on.

There are many great spots all along the coast and on the river, with Lancelin (about 1 hour) away as one the best. But within Perth there is so many places to go you are spoilt for choice.

I chose kitesurfing because it's easier to learn, it's gives me a bigger buzz factor and you can go out in much lighter winds. Though if you asked a windsurfer they'd tell you the complete opposite!

I learnt on the river, a place called lucky bay, then moved to the ocean from there. It's very easy to get going, after a few hours of body dragging and kite flying you'll be ready to get on your board. Within a couple of months you'll be able to stay upwind and do some jumps.

I would advise lessons as kiting is a dangerous sport, not just for yourself but for any body else near you. There are many horror stories of people being dragged across roads, into cars, powerlines etc. If you learn properly and follow a few simple rules you'll be fine.

Check out http://www.windsurfingperth.com.au/wsurf-location.html for some of the locations in and around Perth, there's many more than listed here!

For the current wind in different parts of Perth, plus a great forum goto http://www.seabreeze.com.au

Here is a picture of Lancelin......pure heaven!
Can't we see one of you in the air!!!
Old Aug 16th 2003, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

The beaches are just fantastic.

Please post a piccie of your kite surfing, I am not really sure what it is/what it looks like??
Old Aug 17th 2003, 11:48 am
owieb

Originally posted by tinaj

Please post a piccie of your kite surfing, I am not really sure what it is/what it looks like??
Alas I don't have any pics of me kitesurfing. But here is one of someone else so you can see what it is like.
Attached Thumbnails Is the grass Greener on the other side?-kiting.jpg  

Old Aug 17th 2003, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Don't worry Tinaj they (not me they) do it on the Gold Coast as well, and I'm sure the same applies to the Sunshine Coast, so you'll get your chance to get very wet.
Old Aug 17th 2003, 2:40 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Is the grass greener on the other side?

In a word... NO
Old Aug 17th 2003, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by janeyray
Is the grass greener on the other side?

In a word... NO
Correct it's Gold just like the colour of the sand on the beaches here.
Old Aug 17th 2003, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Don't worry Tinaj they (not me they) do it on the Gold Coast as well, and I'm sure the same applies to the Sunshine Coast, so you'll get your chance to get very wet.

Crikey that looks a bit too athletic for me, the kite would probably lift me right off of the sea!!

I know it sounds silly but isn't anyone worried about sharks? I know the chances miust be slim, but the thought of spending hours out on a board would frighten the life out of me.
Old Aug 17th 2003, 8:27 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey that looks a bit too athletic for me, the kite would probably lift me right off of the sea!!

I know it sounds silly but isn't anyone worried about sharks? I know the chances miust be slim, but the thought of spending hours out on a board would frighten the life out of me.
It's a good reason for staying on the board and not falling off.

There have been 12 shark fatalities in WA in the last 100 years.

As a windsurfer it's still something that's in the back of my mind though, not a pleasant way to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.