Reload this Page >

Is the grass Greener on the other side?

Wikiposts

Is the grass Greener on the other side?

Old Aug 12th 2003, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Graham & Kath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Grass Greener on other side

I shall get my hubbie to have a look (if he hasn't already done so) Just rang him to tell him what you posted he still wants to come out!! Must say I was a bit surprised by the graffiti and car crashes, mind you, we live in the Medway Towns and believe me it cant be any worse than here!! You wouldn't wanna walk around here late at night and I certainly dont let my 13 year old daughter out even down the Town on a saturday. I just want us to have a better quality of life even if it means a bit less money than here I want my kids to be able to enjoy the outside world more than sitting in watching t.v. 24/7.

P.S. My 13 wants to know what kinda t.v. there are for teenagers (told you so, cant drag her away!!).

Oooh, to be on that beach now!!! Kath
Old Aug 12th 2003, 10:05 pm
owieb

Default Re: Is Grass Greener on other side

Originally posted by Graham & Kath
I shall get my hubbie to have a look (if he hasn't already done so) Just rang him to tell him what you posted he still wants to come out!! Must say I was a bit surprised by the graffiti and car crashes, mind you, we live in the Medway Towns and believe me it cant be any worse than here!! You wouldn't wanna walk around here late at night and I certainly dont let my 13 year old daughter out even down the Town on a saturday. I just want us to have a better quality of life even if it means a bit less money than here I want my kids to be able to enjoy the outside world more than sitting in watching t.v. 24/7.

P.S. My 13 wants to know what kinda t.v. there are for teenagers (told you so, cant drag her away!!).

Oooh, to be on that beach now!!! Kath
I don't have kids, so have no idea what the tv is like for teenagers! Normal tv is pretty dire! There is FoxTel which is cable/satelite, but i don't have that either.

Get the kids out exercising, enroll them into lifesaver school. That's a really big thing out here, they have club competitions all through-out the summer.

I'm not saying the amount of deaths is high, though I think the current death toll for WA is about 180(?) so far this year, which is 180 too many. But they make a big thing about it and constantly update the details. It's just a bit grim to see all the stuff at the side of the road.

That beach is beautiful and one of my favourites. However I like this one more, and went surfing here today!
Attached Thumbnails Is the grass Greener on the other side?-trigg1.jpg  

Old Aug 13th 2003, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

OOOHHHH is that scarborough, brings back memories, isnt it a bit chilly for putting your body in at the moment? Or am i a woose? Have you ever tries kite surfing? I stood watching them for hours at scarborough last year it looked great fun, I'd never have the guts to try it though :scared:

Lynn
Old Aug 13th 2003, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Graham & Kath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Grass Greener on other Side

Hands off Lynn!! I saw that beach first. Anyway you'll have a big lump by the time you get out there sooooo we wont be able to see the sun Ha ha. Kath

Ohhh how to make a girl swoon!!! Kath
Old Aug 13th 2003, 5:53 pm
owieb

Originally posted by lynnj
OOOHHHH is that scarborough, brings back memories, isnt it a bit chilly for putting your body in at the moment? Or am i a woose? Have you ever tries kite surfing? I stood watching them for hours at scarborough last year it looked great fun, I'd never have the guts to try it though :scared:

Lynn
It's actually Trigg beach looking south towards scarabourgh beach and observation city in the background.

The water isn't too bad at the moment, it doesn't vary that much throughout the year. It's about 17-19C now and will get to 22C in the summer. I go in with just a shortie on, it's fine.

Yes I do kitesurf, started last year, it's tops!

I tend to go on the next beach up from whitfords, called Pinnaroo Point or down on the river, here........
Attached Thumbnails Is the grass Greener on the other side?-city1.jpg  

Old Aug 13th 2003, 6:28 pm
Carol in Oz

Default Re: Is Grass Greener on other Side

Originally posted by Graham & Kath
Thanks so much for that honest opinion of life in Perth. Its nice to hear what people really think. We did not have rose coloured glasses on before we decided to go ahead for our visas, but we still think hopefully it will open our eyes to a totally different lifestyle and pace. Before we take that final plunge I think we may come out and have a good look for ourselves. By the way my husband is an electrician which we were told when we first applied for our visa was one of the most wanted trades out there.

By the way the photo of the beach was, great lucky you!! Kath
Not sure but this site may have some useful info on it for you
www.careerone.com.au

Old Aug 13th 2003, 6:53 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by owieb
Get the kids out exercising, enroll them into lifesaver school. That's a really big thing out here, they have club competitions all through-out the summer.

It's just a bit grim to see all the stuff at the side of the road.
Your daughter will probably get into netball, all the girls play it here, it's very popular. I'm going to get my kids into the surf lifesaving too when they are old enough.

As for the little crosses by the side of the road. I think they're a good idea. They ought to have them in the UK. Loads have been killed on the A22 in my old village of Nutley. You wouldn't know to drive through it. A load of crosses by the dangerous turnoff would highlight that this was a dangerous spot. Sadly every year there seem to be more deaths there.

Is it my imagination but didn't there used to be accident "black spot" signs in the UK, were they removed because they were racist?
Old Aug 13th 2003, 7:07 pm
owieb

Originally posted by renth
Your daughter will probably get into netball, all the girls play it here, it's very popular. I'm going to get my kids into the surf lifesaving too when they are old enough.

As for the little crosses by the side of the road. I think they're a good idea. They ought to have them in the UK. Loads have been killed on the A22 in my old village of Nutley. You wouldn't know to drive through it. A load of crosses by the dangerous turnoff would highlight that this was a dangerous spot. Sadly every year there seem to be more deaths there.

Is it my imagination but didn't there used to be accident "black spot" signs in the UK, were they removed because they were racist?
Totally agree Renth, I think it's a good idea too; and i think it's good how much they do try and stop speeding, drink-driving etc, with double-demerit points, random breath tests, booze buses etc. It's a shame they never did things like this in the UK.

Good on you enrolling the kids into surf lifesaving, it's such a great thing for kids to do and gives then so much more confidence and respect for the ocean.

Old Aug 13th 2003, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dotty
Salary would be 45-50 grand (dollars) however to teach in QLD first you have to do your 3 years Rural/Remote service. Sun Coast/ bris positions go to people who have done the required remote service. Of course private schools do not have this requirement however you can guess how many go for those jobs.
Salary is what I expected- I have alreay looked it up on the Queensland Gov site.
I have no intention of working in the state schools - unless it is on a supply/ fill-in basis. I currently work in an excellent private school over here. Hopefully that will put me in good stead to apply for the private schools out there.

My point was the salary is not the same in dollars as pounds, but around double. I wish I earn't £50,ooo over here!!
Old Aug 13th 2003, 7:27 pm
owieb

Originally posted by tinaj
My point was the salary is not the same in dollars as pounds, but around double. I wish I earn't £50,ooo over here!!
Guess it varies depending on the occupation you are in. Certainly from my experience of the IT market and friends in the accounting and finance markets, it's pretty much 1:1, but I think until you get a job you can't say for sure what it's going to be.

I just wanted to make people aware that that's a realistic amount you could end up earning, if they earn more then it's a bonus.

Old Aug 13th 2003, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

How old do the kids have to be for joining the lifesavers (or whatever its called) when we were last there i said to my kids that they could join and they said "that would be good but do we have to ware a pair of knickers on our heads" Kids!!

Lynn
Old Aug 13th 2003, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kath

I am an expert at digging a hole in the sand to accommodate my swelling belly, done it before and its very comfy. I just have to be careful John doesnt paint me grey and shout WHALE

Lynn
Old Aug 13th 2003, 8:06 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by owieb
Totally agree Renth, I think it's a good idea too; and i think it's good how much they do try and stop speeding, drink-driving etc, with double-demerit points, random breath tests, booze buses etc. It's a shame they never did things like this in the UK.
They couldn't, it would breach everyones "human rights"
Old Aug 13th 2003, 9:27 pm
Badge

Originally posted by dotty
Salary would be 45-50 grand (dollars) however to teach in QLD first you have to do your 3 years Rural/Remote service. Sun Coast/ bris positions go to people who have done the required remote service. Of course private schools do not have this requirement however you can guess how many go for those jobs.

thats interesting Dotty. Is this because teachers with rural experience are considered the cream - or have developed skills which are highly attractive...??

I think Tina is bag on - I earn 30k here and could perhaps earn 60 (maybe 80 in a big city) in Aussie....

I think a lot of things are more expensive in Aussie - or about the same - but eating out is cheaper. This is what attracts me.

People like to knock the lack of culture in Oz - but museums and art galleries aside, what is better than eating out with your mates - after the pub one of the best thngs you can do..

badgers

Old Aug 13th 2003, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by badgersmount
thats interesting Dotty. Is this because teachers with rural experience are considered the cream - or have developed skills which are highly attractive...??

badgers
No its because City/Coast Positions are sought after by most teachers. None go to the Rural posts by choice, they have to, by the government. The positions in the City/Coast are for those who have done their share outback.

The private schools are very hard to get a job in, obviously they have so many applicants, all the ones who dont want to go bush, plus all the ones who have and now want to get back into the City/Coast. Qld has not got a teacher shortage, apart from male primary school teachers, many dropped out because of the risks of litigation (sexual abuse claims).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.