Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is the grass Greener on the other side?

Old Aug 12th 2003, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Graham & Kath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is the grass Greener on the other side?

Having a look at houses, taxes, general wages etc is the lifestyle better out there or not. Obviously, we are NOT stupid and realise you have to work for everything but in generalisation does it seem to be a better one. There seems to be so many negative aspects on this site sometimes I wonder just how bad it is really or are we all being tormented by likes of you know who and such like???

Am I now leaving myself open for all??

Graham:
Old Aug 12th 2003, 7:20 pm
mark,abbi,tia & max

mark warner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is the grass Greener on the other side?

Originally posted by Graham & Kath
Having a look at houses, taxes, general wages etc is the lifestyle better out there or not. Obviously, we are NOT stupid and realise you have to work for everything but in generalisation does it seem to be a better one. There seems to be so many negative aspects on this site sometimes I wonder just how bad it is really or are we all being tormented by likes of you know who and such like???

Am I now leaving myself open for all??

Graham:

hi graham

as many of us on here are in the same position as yourselves all we can do is offer advice on what we have personnally found ,i for one have found whilst visiting aus is that the laid back friendly attitude of the south brisbane locals really suits me ,workwise as a chippy i found there was plenty about the first builder i spoke to offered me work on the spot he still keeps in touch. wages are slightly lower than here but with having hardly any mortgage in aus it should even itself out.houses are bigger and cheaper than here in east anglia. as for the likes of you know who and such like treat them like the terds they are give them a wipe and flush them away.if you hav'nt already visited give it a try you really need to decide for yourself not everyone elses experiences will suit you.

best of luck to you

mark
Old Aug 13th 2003, 12:26 am
owieb

I can only comment on Perth.

As for the lifestyle being better, depends what you are measuring against and what expectations you come here with. I think that is the trouble with most people on this site, they build their hopes up so much and when they arrive they are very disappointed.

If you think you'll land in Oz and all your problems will go away, they won't. At the end of the day you still have the same situations as you do in the UK.

You can certainly have a good lifestyle out here, you will need to work (unless you are mega rich) and work is not that great in Perth at the moment. Salaries are lower than they are in the UK which I don' think a lot of people are prepared for. You'll come here knowing what you were earning in the UK, and you will realistically earn the same amount in dollars. So if you earn £30K in the UK, you'll earn $30K in Perth.

The lower income doesn't really restrict you in Perth as everything is in proportion, but it does make it expensive to travel abroad. Return flights back to the UK would cost in the region of $2,000, which is a few weeks salary!

House rentals can be cheap, but it depends which suburb you live in and finding the right one is crucial. Buying a house is expensive, especially once you start earning aussie dollars. Whether the house is bigger than your UK one will be hard to say.

The weather during the spring/summer/autumn months is fantastic. I would be going to work with a huge smile on my face everyday, just because it gives you such a feel good factor. I live near the coast, about 5mins walk from the beach. I go surfing a few times a weeks, kite surfing during the summer months and walk to restaurants along the beach.

Eating out is affordable and you could to do it several times a week. They have a thing called BYO where you can take your own alchohol to the restaurant/cafe. They charge you corkage, but it does make the meal so much cheaper.

The public transport is great. If you work in the CBD then there are trains every few minutes. They are always on time. Infact, in 12 months of travelling everyday on the train it has only been late once, and that was by 5mins!

The shops aren't open all the time, which some people will find annoying having come from the UK. They close at 5-5:30pm, though they do have late night shopping on Thursdays or Fridays. Sundays the place will be like a ghost town, though the main shopping malls in the city will be open.

Traffic is quiet, compared to the UK. The freeway heading in and out of the city will be busy during rush hour. It will take you a good 45mins to get in when it would normally take 20mins (obviously depending on where you live). Any other time you can get anywhere really easily.

Crime is here, don't think it isn't. It's very difficult to compare it to the UK, it seems a lot worse, but I think that is just because it is reported more. Every couple of weeks the local papers have crime statistics for their area which will list all the break-ins, car thefts etc. Though there may only be a dozen or so listed it does make it feel like it's everywhere. I know people that have been burgeled 2-3 times a year.

Cars are frequently broken into along the beach carparks. They never really take much, but it's not nice to have it happen. So far I have been lucky, but you will read reports of it happening all the time.

There is a lot of vandalism and graffiti everywhere. You will see bus shelters smashed up, graffiti sprayed on anything they can, and that is upsetting to see.

Aussie driving is shite, kids race around in cars and you'll see crosses, flowers and memorials all over the roads where people have been killed in car crashes.

For me, I have a much better lifestyle than I had in the UK and have no intention of ever returning. But I came wanting to chill and relax and live the Australian lifestyle. If you come here expecting to make money, have a career or continue your UK lifestyle then forget it, Perth is not for you.

I would never knock anyone for trying to make a go of it out here, but just make sure you do your home work and you are coming for the right reason. Don't let your expectations run away with you.

Attached is picture of 'my' beach 5mins away! Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Is the grass Greener on the other side?-ourbeach10.jpg  

Last edited by owieb; Aug 13th 2003 at 12:29 am.

Old Aug 13th 2003, 12:43 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by owieb

As for the lifestyle being better, depends what you are measuring against and what expectations you come here with. I think that is the trouble with most people on this site, they build their hopes up so much and when they arrive they are very disappointed.

If you think you'll land in Oz and all your problems will go away, they won't. At the end of the day you still have the same situations as you do in the UK.

You can certainly have a good lifestyle out here, you will need to work (unless you are mega rich) and work is not that great in Perth at the moment. Salaries are lower than they are in the UK which I don' think a lot of people are prepared for. You'll come here knowing what you were earning in the UK, and you will realistically earn the same amount in dollars. So if you earn £30K in the UK, you'll earn $30K in Perth.

The lower income doesn't really restrict you in Perth as everything is in proportion, but it does make it expensive to travel abroad. Return flights back to the UK would cost in the region of $2,000, which is a few weeks salary!

House rentals can be cheap, but it depends which suburb you live in and finding the right one is crucial. Buying a house is expensive, especially once you start earning aussie dollars. Whether the house is bigger than your UK one will be hard to say.

The weather during the spring/summer/autumn months is fantastic. I would be going to work with a huge smile on my face everyday, just because it gives you such a feel good factor. I live near the coast, about 5mins walk from the beach. I go surfing a few times a weeks, kite surfing during the summer months and walk to restaurants along the beach.

Eating out is affordable and you could to do it several times a week. They have a thing called BYO where you can take your own alchohol to the restaurant/cafe. They charge you corkage, but it does make the meal so much cheaper.

The public transport is great. If you work in the CBD then there are trains every few minutes. They are always on time. Infact, in 12 months of travelling everyday on the train it has only been late once, and that was by 5mins!

The shops aren't open all the time, which some people will find annoying having come from the UK. They close at 5-5:30pm, though they do have late night shopping on Thursdays or Fridays. Sundays the place will be like a ghost town, though the main shopping malls in the city will be open.

Traffic is quiet, compared to the UK. The freeway heading in and out of the city will be busy during rush hour. It will take you a good 45mins to get in when it would normally take 20mins (obviously depending on where you live). Any other time you can get anywhere really easily.

Crime is here, don't think it isn't. It's very difficult to compare it to the UK, it seems a lot worse, but I think that is just because it is reported more. Every couple of weeks the local papers have crime statistics for their area which will list all the break-ins, car thefts etc. Though there may only be a dozen or so listed it does make it feel like it's everywhere. I know people that have been burgeled 2-3 times a year.

Cars are frequently broken into along the beach carparks. They never really take much, but it's not nice to have it happen. So far I have been lucky, but you will read reports of it happening all the time.

There is a lot of vandalism and graffiti everywhere. You will see bus shelters smashed up, graffiti sprayed on anything they can, and that is upsetting to see.

Aussie driving is shite, kids race around in cars and you'll see crosses, flowers and memorials all over the roads where people have been killed in car crashes.

For me, I have a much better lifestyle than I had in the UK and have no intention of ever returning. But I came wanting to chill and relax and live the Australian lifestyle. If you come here expecting to make money, have a career or continue your UK lifestyle then forget it, Perth is not for you.

I would never knock anyone for trying to make a go of it out here, but just make sure you do your home work and you are coming for the right reason. Don't let your expectations run away with you.

Great post & I agree 100%. Perth is great but you will only like it here if you come for the right reasons. The rate of attrition is high, many don't make it out here and return to the UK.

I would suggest a visit first if you've not done so.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Very very true.... great balanced post. What beach is it by the way?

Diane
Old Aug 13th 2003, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

You are a great addition to the site and more posts like yours will save people from making a mistake. Keep it up even if you are knocked for it. Trouble is, I think a lot of people will ignore your "bad" stuff and just see the good, and so maybe your words will be of no use. I think lots of people on the site are kidding themselves with what Oz has to offer.

The bit of your very honest post I would like to highlight:

"If you come here expecting to ... have a career ... then forget it"

I agree with that totally and I think people would be fools for ignoring it. It is easy, when young or fresh from UK, to think "who cares about a career", but looks very different a few years into your boring, repetitive, poor paid job.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Is it Mullaloo?

Loopy
Old Aug 13th 2003, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

Great post Owieb! Have been in Perth 14 months and agree with your comments.

I think the crime part might be linked to living near an Aussie city, whether it's Perth, Darwin, Melbourne, Sydney etc. We lived in a quiet village in England and hardly experienced crime, I was a neighbourhood watch co-ordinator and never had much to report! As with most new migrants we live in a city suburb and found the crime statistics a bit disturbing but I think that's normal for an Aussie city.

Does anyone know what crime is like living out in the bush?
Old Aug 13th 2003, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

april is an unknown quantity at this point

That is a very good post..............
Old Aug 13th 2003, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

A useful post.
I think I must disagree in part with the salary being the same in dollars as you would get in pounds. My salary as a teacher will be double what it is in pounds. This isn't as good as the 2.5 exchange rate, but realistically should give me at least the same buying power. Also I will have no mortgage when at present it costs me the equivalent of $2,500 per month.

People with trades and professions should look up the salary for their job before they arrive, that should give them an idea of whether they could live on the money.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 8:34 am
owieb

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Very very true.... great balanced post. What beach is it by the way?

Diane
The beach is Whitfords Node, looking south towards Hillary's Marina.

Old Aug 13th 2003, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Graham & Kath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is Grass Greener on other Side

Thanks so much for that honest opinion of life in Perth. Its nice to hear what people really think. We did not have rose coloured glasses on before we decided to go ahead for our visas, but we still think hopefully it will open our eyes to a totally different lifestyle and pace. Before we take that final plunge I think we may come out and have a good look for ourselves. By the way my husband is an electrician which we were told when we first applied for our visa was one of the most wanted trades out there.

By the way the photo of the beach was, great lucky you!! Kath
Old Aug 13th 2003, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by tinaj
A useful post.
I think I must disagree in part with the salary being the same in dollars as you would get in pounds. My salary as a teacher will be double what it is in pounds. This isn't as good as the 2.5 exchange rate, but realistically should give me at least the same buying power. Also I will have no mortgage when at present it costs me the equivalent of $2,500 per month.

People with trades and professions should look up the salary for their job before they arrive, that should give them an idea of whether they could live on the money.
Salary would be 45-50 grand (dollars) however to teach in QLD first you have to do your 3 years Rural/Remote service. Sun Coast/ bris positions go to people who have done the required remote service. Of course private schools do not have this requirement however you can guess how many go for those jobs.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 9:07 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the grass Greener on the other side?

No it probably isn't but heres hoping you dont have to cut the lawn as much

Old Aug 13th 2003, 9:17 am
owieb

Default Re: Is Grass Greener on other Side

Originally posted by Graham & Kath
Thanks so much for that honest opinion of life in Perth. Its nice to hear what people really think. We did not have rose coloured glasses on before we decided to go ahead for our visas, but we still think hopefully it will open our eyes to a totally different lifestyle and pace. Before we take that final plunge I think we may come out and have a good look for ourselves. By the way my husband is an electrician which we were told when we first applied for our visa was one of the most wanted trades out there.

By the way the photo of the beach was, great lucky you!! Kath
You're welcome Kath.

I highly recommed coming out first just to make sure, that's what I did, a couple of weeks is enough to give you an idea, but it's no real substitute for actually living here.

Unfortunately, I'm not really up on the demand for electricians, but there is a lot of building going on so there may well be work. The MODL which DIMA use is a good indication as to demand. http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/skilled/modl.htm

Last edited by owieb; Aug 13th 2003 at 9:20 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.