Is the grass greener?

Is the grass greener?

Old Jan 10th 2005, 12:04 pm
Guy
Just Joined

Guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is the grass greener?

Hello All!
I am currently living in Helsinki and am thinking about a move to NZ in about 10 months time. I've just about had it with the freezing and darkness and the people. I'm still not a great fan of the UK and don'tfeel that it is the right time to go back yet, I've been away for about 3 years now. I would like to know what its like down in NZ, are the people as friendly as rumoured? Is the grass really greener on the other side? How difficult is it to get in? I can probably get a job down there as I am in a very specific trade. I can even buy a house, I just don't want to fly across the planet and find its just like finland!!! Are ExPats regarded down there the same way as here, are you always the foreigner? Can it be Home? Thanks for your time and I look forward to some advice.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 12:12 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the grass greener?

Originally Posted by Guy
Hello All!
I am currently living in Helsinki and am thinking about a move to NZ in about 10 months time. I've just about had it with the freezing and darkness and the people. I'm still not a great fan of the UK and don'tfeel that it is the right time to go back yet, I've been away for about 3 years now. I would like to know what its like down in NZ, are the people as friendly as rumoured? Is the grass really greener on the other side? How difficult is it to get in? I can probably get a job down there as I am in a very specific trade. I can even buy a house, I just don't want to fly across the planet and find its just like finland!!! Are ExPats regarded down there the same way as here, are you always the foreigner? Can it be Home? Thanks for your time and I look forward to some advice.
don't matter where you live the grass is the same colour
Old Jan 10th 2005, 12:14 pm
Guy
Just Joined

Guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by walla1
don't matter where you live the grass is the same colour
Yeah but here its uder three feet of snow most of the year
Old Jan 10th 2005, 12:16 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guy
good point
Old Jan 10th 2005, 12:20 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

And here is yellow/brown 80% of the year....
Old Jan 10th 2005, 12:24 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guy
so its got to be greener then
Old Jan 10th 2005, 12:34 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Guy

Mate, I have known lots of ends....I mean Finnish people over the years and without exception they are a sad race of individuals.

It's not their fault....it's the bloody dank and dark they live in for most of their lives.

Get out of there while you can !!

Can't beat a bit of sunshine for giving the old self a boost. It just makes you feel good and more positive about life.

I can't really comment on NZ except to say that the majority of posters I have read over several months are very positive about it.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 12:37 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Welcome to the forum Guy

Mate, I have known lots of ends....I mean Finnish people over the years and without exception they are a sad race of individuals.

It's not their fault....it's the bloody dank and dark they live in for most of their lives.

Get out of there while you can !!

Can't beat a bit of sunshine for giving the old self a boost. It just makes you feel good and more positive about life.

I can't really comment on NZ except to say that the majority of posters I have read over several months are very positive about it.
yeh, ive never heard of NZ bashers
ive got a brother in christchurch. he has been there for about 15 years and just loves it
Old Jan 11th 2005, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

westiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to allwestiepom is a name known to all

Hi we've lived in NZ for 3 1/2 years. It's a lovely country, very pretty with nice mild winters. We're treated just the same as anyone else - hardly any one comments on the accent as there are a lot of folk here from different countries.
No, we haven't found the Kiwis as friendly as we expected. I think that's a bit of an old wives tale, but maybe that's just an Auckland thing, I don't know.

Cost of living is high compared to wages and you get taxed up to the hilt but saying that, we are very happy here and there are a lot of positives to balance out the negatives.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 8:28 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by Guy
Hello All!
What made you choose New Zealand and not Austrtalia instead?

Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:02 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wombat42
What made you choose New Zealand and not Austrtalia instead?
Perhaps the contrast in weather between Finland and Oz would be too much! NZ is nothing like most of Oz in climatic terms. Mind you there's also a huge variation from tip to tip. Did you have anywhere particular in mind, Guy?

NZ is also nothing like Oz in cultural terms. There's another reason for preferring one over t'other (not saying that one is better, just it's horses for courses).