Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Graphic Designers & Pre-press Tradespeople

Graphic Designers & Pre-press Tradespeople

Old Apr 30th 2003, 3:42 pm
Sydneysider as of May'05

drog1998 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Graphic Designers & Pre-press Tradespeople

I've just sent off my application for the skilled assesment and was just wondering if anybody else out there has any tales to tell regarding Graphic Design & Pre-press work.

Assuming it comes back successful, how long on average does the whole Visa application take?

I keep hearing different times anything from 20 weeks to 50.
Old Apr 30th 2003, 3:52 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Us Toooo

Andy is also in Graphic pre-press so we would be interested in finding out too

His skill assessment has come back approved - at last 19th April 2003

Does anyone know which State would offer more jobs in -

Advertising/graphic design/pre-press/mac operator

kind regards
Old Apr 30th 2003, 4:01 pm
Sydneysider as of May'05

Default Re: Graphic Designers & Pre-press Tradespeople

Thats great. How long did he have to wait for the skills part? I've fast tracked mine so hopefully (according to my Agent) 5-6 weeks.

The only problem I might be facing is that I studied as a Graphic Designer and came away from Uni with a HND.

But I have worked as a designer/artworker/repro person for the last 6 years and my references are definately more pre-press orientated.

I would imagine Sydney and Melbourne would be the best places to get work with this industry - could be wrong though.
Old Apr 30th 2003, 4:17 pm

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Hi Drog

This is Lisa

Its Andy who has had his skills assessed

His application was received on the 18th March and was approved on the 19th April so thats 4 weeks and 4 days (this was done on fast track too).

Andy has worked in pre-press since leaving college. He has been with his current employer for the past 14+ years which is Royal Doulton UK. He designs all the artwork which goes onto the ware. His title is Graphic pre-press technician/mac operator.

As you will appreciate ceramics is a lot different to General print/advertising as alot more creativity is required.

He has in the past worked in advertising, so he has experience in that industry too.

Given the opportunity, we just hope that with his extensive working knowledge of pre-press prep and Apple Mac (using all the Adobe applications) will stand him in good stead in Australia.

Let us know how you get on with you TRA, it's nice to know that there is someone else in the same trade.

Keep in Touch and all the best

Lisa
Old Apr 30th 2003, 4:22 pm
Sydneysider as of May'05

I freelanced out there a few years ago and all the systems and software are exactly the same - so no worries there.

How long do you reckon the next part of the Visa application will take?

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

ps. Did you go throught a company called The Emigration Group in Chester at all?
Old Apr 30th 2003, 9:05 pm

Default Hiya

Sent you a PM
Old May 1st 2003, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Bidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really nice
Smile Another Graphic Pre press!

Hi there

My partner is currently gathering information to submit his skills assessment to the TRA. He has about seven years work experience but no formal qualifications in the trade. (He went to college from school and studied IT) He worked for the same company for five years and left when we went to Australia for a year. When we came back to Ireland he got a job with another company and has been with them since. We're hoping to move to Sydney or Melbourne.

I know this isn't really of any help but I just thought I'd add my bit in as it's nice to know of other people who are applying from the same trade!

Cheers,

Bidd
Old May 1st 2003, 9:51 am
Sydneysider as of May'05

Default Re: Another Graphic Pre press!

Hi Bidd,

good to hear somebody else is doing the same thing. I am quite confident that my qualifications wont matter to much as i have the 7 years experience.

Let me know how you get on.
Old May 1st 2003, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Bidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really nice
Smile Pre Press

Hi Drog1998

Hopefully we'll be the same! I'll keep you posted on our progress. In the meantime, let me know how you get on with your Skills Assessment. Best of luck! (Any advice welcome !!)

Bidd
Old May 1st 2003, 10:16 am
Sydneysider as of May'05

I will do.

Have you any idea how long the whole process takes - I keep on reading different things. Anything from 20 - 50 weeks.

What do you know?

Darrell
Old May 1st 2003, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Default Skills Assessment

Hi Darrell

If you mean the Skills Assessment, I think they take approximately 3 months although there have been reports lately of delays and the actual fast track assessments taking 3 months. For the actual visa, I don't know although things seem to have speeded up. Have you seen the site www.austimeline.com? (I think that's it) It's a good site for info on how long things are taking (visas and skills assessments! For the exact address, look up any of Ptlabs posts - he has it in his signature.

Cheers,

Tina
Old May 1st 2003, 10:35 am

Default Hi Drog

You still have not read my PM

Lisa
Old May 1st 2003, 10:40 am
Sydneysider as of May'05

Default Re: Hi Drog

Hi Lisa, i've just figured out how it works.

I am usually good at these things, honest
Old May 1st 2003, 10:47 am

Default cant believe it

i typed loads - cant remember what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'v ditched my letter sent

Lisa
Old May 1st 2003, 11:06 am
Sydneysider as of May'05

Default Re: Graphic Designers & Pre-press Tradespeople

Its ok I found it - just sent you a PM