Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Grand Prix F1 Melbourne

Grand Prix F1 Melbourne

Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice
Default Grand Prix F1 Melbourne

Hi all

I will be over to watch the race next year and then spend a week split between a recce of Melbourne and Brisbane.

Just wondering how 'busy' it really gets when the race is in town.

I will be on my own, so I was thinking is it really even practical to rent a car while the race is on. Can you survive on public transport.

Then either rent a car on the Monday a do a couple of days looking around before flying out to Brisbane, then just fllying back on the Saturday to get flight back to UK
or
Buggering off to Brisbane Sunday night / Monday morning after the race. Then coming back Wednesday ish when the other race goers have all gone and things aint so mad ??

Thought from experience please folks.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grand Prix F1 Melbourne

Originally Posted by MUST LEAVE UK
Hi all

I will be over to watch the race next year and then spend a week split between a recce of Melbourne and Brisbane.

I will be on my own, so I was thinking is it really even practical to rent a car while the race is on. Can you survive on public transport.

Then either rent a car on the Monday a do a couple of days looking around before flying out to Brisbane, then just fllying back on the Saturday to get flight back to UK
or
Buggering off to Brisbane Sunday night / Monday morning after the race. Then coming back Wednesday ish when the other race goers have all gone and things aint so mad ??

The grand prix gets packed and the cost of hotels goes through the roof.

You shouldn't need a car if youare within 5kms of the CBD. The roads around the grand prix, during the grand prix are closed off to cars and only locals are given access.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
The grand prix gets packed and the cost of hotels goes through the roof.

You shouldn't need a car if youare within 5kms of the CBD. The roads around the grand prix, during the grand prix are closed off to cars and only locals are given access.
Plus most public transport will be free if you have a race ticket. Plenty of trams etc, you really don't need a car to get around central Melbourne.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:35 am
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

Trams to the Grand Prix are free, as previously said a lot of streets are shut off to cars. You can purchase a ticket for Zone A for $6.80 and ride the trams all day. We went this year and have to say it was fantastic, considering going again next year. If you are staying within Melbourne I would say don't bother getting a car. Make sure you wear a comfortable pair of trainers or shoes because you will walk miles at the Grand Prix.

Enjoy
Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:50 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

or

BORING ... This is much better..
http://www.clipsal500.com.au/
a lot bigger than F1 ...................mm
Old Nov 19th 2010, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
First I've heard of it - isn't it nice to hear that Adelaide has something on in the year!

How is it a lot bigger? Looking at attendance figures, even with recent drops in F1 attendance, the attendance is still bigger than the street race in Adelaide.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I know a number of colleagues who have been corporate guests of Clipsal/Schneider at the Clipsal 500 - the hospitality is somewhat legendary...
Old Nov 19th 2010, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice

Well I have been a F1 fan since Senna was still with us, but for some reason have never been to a race.
The wife has decided she wants to go and see take that, so after buying here an expensive ticket, she very kindly said I could go and see what I wanted.
Just hoping being half way round the world, fresh of a Friday morning plane in a strange city. I will actually enjoy my first live F1 weekend.

When we move over I hope to follow some of the V8 series. Just don't know which side of the fence to sit on. Ford or Holden, I gather your live can depend on it !!!!
Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have been a F1 fan since Senna was still with us, but for some reason have never been to a race.
The wife has decided she wants to go and see take that, so after buying here an expensive ticket, she very kindly said I could go and see what I wanted.
Just hoping being half way round the world, fresh of a Friday morning plane in a strange city. I will actually enjoy my first live F1 weekend.

When we move over I hope to follow some of the V8 series. Just don't know which side of the fence to sit on. Ford or Holden, I gather your live can depend on it !!!!
I remember arriving in Mel for my first Grand Prix, absolutely awesome. Get yourself a ticket for the weekend, have a wander round the whole circuit, and look out for the music events and stuff like that - the first year I went Deep Purple were playing Melbourne that week and they did a free concert inside Albert Park during the race weekend Because its so central you can also make the most of the city, and the events that go on everywhere else - the friend I was with wasn't a race fan at all, but she said the whole city was just in carnival mode so she had a fab time as well. Its a great weekend, I can't wait to get down there again, won't be next year but maybe 2012..........

As for the V8s, I've tried, but they just don't do it for me. You're right though, if you follow them you have to be fervently for one side or the other
Old Nov 20th 2010, 7:14 am
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

Yep we had 4 day tickets which cost us about $185 for the 4 days for general admission, seat tickets were a lot more expensive so we thought it was a good deal. Not only is the Grand Prix on but V8's along with lots of other racing as well. Outside the venue you can purchase a little emergency packet that contains earplugs, sun cream and a rain poncho, believe me you will need the earplugs. There are many places around the track that have high banks where you can sit or stand with big screens opposite to watch the rest of the race along with beer/food/ tents.

Totally awesome experience.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 10:59 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
First I've heard of it - isn't it nice to hear that Adelaide has something on in the year!

How is it a lot bigger? Looking at attendance figures, even with recent drops in F1 attendance, the attendance is still bigger than the street race in Adelaide.
Do your home work , sun shine i beg to differ ........mm
Old Nov 20th 2010, 11:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
I know a number of colleagues who have been corporate guests of Clipsal/Schneider at the Clipsal 500 - the hospitality is somewhat legendary...
Yes corporate tents are the way to go , i try to work my way in, call on a few favours....mm
Old Nov 21st 2010, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Do your home work , sun shine i beg to differ ........mm
These are the total attendance figures I can find for the 2 multi-day events:
Code:
Year       Clipsal 500   Melbourne Grand Prix
2010       277,800       305,000
2009       272,800       286,900
2008       291,400       303,000
2007       276,900       301,000
2006       270,300       301,500
So every year the total attendance figure is higher for the Melbourne F1 Grand Prix than the Adelaide street race. Then there's the TV audience on top of that you could consider if you wanted to...
Old Nov 21st 2010, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

I have been here 2 months and I am hooked on V8 !!! Holden kick arse though!!

And OMG I cannot wait for F1, YES YES YES

200 Bucks, bargain for 4 days....

Last edited by 7immyboy; Nov 21st 2010 at 3:59 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Molko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the roughMolko1974 is a jewel in the rough

Hi all

or

I used to live down the road from Albert Park, in Port Melbourne. We hired a car at the time and didn't find the roads too bad as we had family visiting at the time. Transport is great from St Kilda and Port Melbourne into the city. Unless you plan to get far away then you won't need a car.

Hotels do double their prices over that weekend nearby.