Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Grade A Electrical workers licence

Grade A Electrical workers licence

Old Mar 15th 2005, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

aussieant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Grade A Electrical workers licence

just seeing if anyone had some experience in gaining this licence and what they had to do to get it.
any info appreciated
Old Mar 15th 2005, 10:47 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Grade A Electrical workers licence

What field do you work in in the UK? And do you hold a full electrician's licience there? If not be prepared for a struggle. What trade did you get for your TRA Visa Asessment?

I was trained as an aviation electrician (9 years in total) and have spent the last three years in the UK power industry. When assessed was told that the aircraft experience 'was not electrical enough' ??? and they didn't accept my apprenticeship as being relevant. For electrical trades you need to have worked in the industry for 7 years (proper electrician job) if you don't have that then they started talking about doing an apprenticeship over here.

Of course there are other classes of licence which they may or may not be inclined to give you such as restricted or instrument technician, however, these obviously prevent you from doing a full electricians job.

Whatever your visa TRA assessment is, you will still need to apply to the state licensing authority where you will be living who will assess your skills and decide if you meet their criteria. It is almost certain you will have to do at least a course in local wiring regs as a minimum, most colleges do these so it's not hard to get on one near you.

The biggest catch 22 if you need to get an ARTC from Trades Recognition is that they won't assess you until you take up residency so you're already here and they could tell you that they won't give you a licence. A good place to start looking for info is Electrical Regulatory Authorities Council there are links to state licensing authorities there.

I would advise, contact bothe Trades Recognition Authority and the Licensing authority in the state you are planning on settling in, make a contact, get as much info from them as you can regarding what they will need to issue you with an A grade licence and see where you go from there.

Hope this hasn't discouraged you, it sounds worse than it is. Just don't expect them to issue a licence on the production of a couple of recent employer's references.

Hope this helps, if you want any more info just post and will se what I can come up with for you.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for replying FB.
very much appreciated.

I have been to the energy safety commission in leederville WA and had a chat with them about it. It seems to me a bit of a lottery as to whether you can get a licence or not. My partner and i left the place feeling totally pissed off. At the moment i am working as a Works Engineer but my qualifications are mainly Electrical and Electronic maintenance & City and Guilds. However i did start life as a trainee welder and have also served a five year apprenticeship in the docks at Tilbury.The form they gave me seemed to suggest that all i need do is supply all the relevant documents and theywould be put forward for assesment. i appear to have the minimum requirements they are after so i scanned all my papers and sent it to them last night to see what they thought. I have a TRA assesment and have been classified as General Electrician. It seems to me that the TRA thing is a bit of a waste of time, as it doesnt mean much. At the moment the only thing thats stopping me moving to Aus is the job. i have held a PR visa for nearly a year and it seems that i could end up having to re-train, which aint bad if your young and starting out in life. I am 41 and want to come to Aus for a easier existance and i think if it gets to complicated then i might just feel like it aint worth the bother!!

any more help you can offer is greatly received

Thanks again

Tony
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:32 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by aussieant
thanks for replying FB.
very much appreciated.

I have been to the energy safety commission in leederville WA and had a chat with them about it. It seems to me a bit of a lottery as to whether you can get a licence or not. My partner and i left the place feeling totally pissed off. At the moment i am working as a Works Engineer but my qualifications are mainly Electrical and Electronic maintenance & City and Guilds. However i did start life as a trainee welder and have also served a five year apprenticeship in the docks at Tilbury.The form they gave me seemed to suggest that all i need do is supply all the relevant documents and theywould be put forward for assesment. i appear to have the minimum requirements they are after so i scanned all my papers and sent it to them last night to see what they thought. I have a TRA assesment and have been classified as General Electrician. It seems to me that the TRA thing is a bit of a waste of time, as it doesnt mean much. At the moment the only thing thats stopping me moving to Aus is the job. i have held a PR visa for nearly a year and it seems that i could end up having to re-train, which aint bad if your young and starting out in life. I am 41 and want to come to Aus for a easier existance and i think if it gets to complicated then i might just feel like it aint worth the bother!!

any more help you can offer is greatly received

Thanks again

Tony
Get hold of someone at TRA and ask for an ARTC (Australian recognised Trade Certificate), submit this with your application to Leederville office and should be fine.

Good Luck

Paul J

PS all this and the standards of workmanship etc here are terrible
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks jacko.
you're right what i saw when i was last out there was bloody awful.
I visited a new build nursing home and looked at the wiring in the roof space.
There was wires pulled like guitar strings and they love junction Boxes where you can stuff about 20 cables in. I thought the UK system is much better.
What gets me is the Aussie government seem to want the trades but if you have to go through all this crap then is it really worth it.
I have a TRA assessment and they have graded me as General Electrician, is that the thing you were talking about ?.

thanks for the info.
Tony
Old Mar 15th 2005, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172161
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:31 pm

I posted a bit more info on http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290210

Just as a pointer if you were to do an apprenticeship over here you're looking at wages of about $250pw for the duration which isn't too hot.

I would suggest, as in the other thread, email then phone the state licensing authority and have a chat with them, it is a nightmare with needing licences for everything out here but worth it once you get them.

I'd say get anything you can in the UK before you leave, every bit of paper you can get will mean less hassle at this end.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:34 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick question to all you people in the know!

My husband has his final exam for his electrical installation City&Guilds in July. He's currently working weekends as a spark and is hoping once our visa app is in he can get something full time.

Is there any limit on the amount of experience he will need before we get to Adelaide? (already aware of what we need to do when we get there)

Just worried in case his six months of exp he hopes to get wont be enough...
Old Mar 16th 2005, 7:17 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bridiej

My husband has his final exam for his electrical installation City&Guilds in July. He's currently working weekends as a spark and is hoping once our visa app is in he can get something full time.

Is there any limit on the amount of experience he will need before we get to Adelaide? (already aware of what we need to do when we get there)

Normally they ask for at LEAST 2 years. When i did my TRA they went back 10 years all the way to my apprenticeship thru to my current employer at the time.I had to contact all past employers and get letter headed paper from them stating what i had done whilst there.
I think my agent was thinking "the more info he can get the better are his chances without further work"
Daz
Old Mar 17th 2005, 1:01 am

You'll have to speak to the local licensing authority to get a definitive answer as it seems to vary depending on who you speak to and what phase of the moon is in the sky lol.

If you're moving to Adelaide then the Licensing Authority is the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs. There is a factsheet with contact details here: http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?c=615

I would recommend contacting them now and having a chat to see if they will point you in the right direction.

Whatever happens you will need to do a course in Australian wiring Regs, a freind of mine moved to Adelaide originally and recommended a company called PeerTec www.peer.com.au they do a full wiring rules course over 36 hours and have a lot of experience with foreign applicants transferring skills.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 10:27 am

Thanks for that!

Bit of a worry as how can he get his two years exp if he cant get registered?

Or can he get work as some sort of apprentice?

Sorry for all the questions but he's currently in engineering and keen to pursue his new career!
Old Mar 17th 2005, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by leannefr
Normally they ask for at LEAST 2 years. When i did my TRA they went back 10 years all the way to my apprenticeship thru to my current employer at the time.I had to contact all past employers and get letter headed paper from them stating what i had done whilst there.
I think my agent was thinking "the more info he can get the better are his chances without further work"
Daz
Thanks Daz, this isnt for the TRA assessment for the visa, we've already got that in his current position, but thinking ahead for when we arrive in Adelaide.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 12:42 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by aussieant
Thanks jacko.
you're right what i saw when i was last out there was bloody awful.
I visited a new build nursing home and looked at the wiring in the roof space.
There was wires pulled like guitar strings and they love junction Boxes where you can stuff about 20 cables in. I thought the UK system is much better.
What gets me is the Aussie government seem to want the trades but if you have to go through all this crap then is it really worth it.
I have a TRA assessment and they have graded me as General Electrician, is that the thing you were talking about ?.

thanks for the info.
Tony
sorry about delay (don't come here often ) My under standing is that you have the TRA assessment to get into Australia then once yoou are her eyou apply for ARTC they kno wall about it at the Energy office on Southport street so I am surprised that they were not more helpfull.
My situation was different but I still required the ARTC however best to pop back ot Leederville and get the TRA number in Brisbane give them a call and they will point you in the right direction

Good Luck

Paul J
Old Mar 18th 2005, 5:59 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Daz, this isnt for the TRA assessment for the visa, we've already got that in his current position, but thinking ahead for when we arrive in Adelaide.
Hi Bridie,

from the research I have done your husband is going to have to start from scratch over there.
I have HNC Machanicl, ONC Electrical and having been working on electrical and mechanical elements of machines for 20 years but will still have trouble with licence.
Expecting to have to start at the bottom again, don't mind though as no responsibility sounds good.

Kevin
Old Mar 19th 2005, 7:40 am

Thanks guys.

So, just to get this clear in my head:

Hubby has TRA assessment as Metal Machinist 1st Class for purposes of visa.

So when we get to Oz he needs to do the sparks course and pass the exam.

Can he then work or does he have to get another TRA assessment as electrician?

And if so will 6 months exp plus the qualifications be enough for him to get work as an electrician?

He doesnt mind starting from the bottom (currently doing that here!) but he would rather be a spark than go back into engineering.

Thanks