GPS/sat nav

Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Amber Nectar is on a distinguished road
Default GPS/sat nav

Hi all

Does anyone use or have knowledge of either of the following GPS/sat nav in Australia.

Mitac mio 168
Navman pin 100

Any info as to its performance in Oz would be much appreciated or any links to reviews of this product.

Thank you
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:53 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GPS/sat nav

I bought a Navman six months ago to help when looking for property. It's the iCN 630 IIRC.

It works.

Frankly I am not impressed. The number of times it has taken us on wild goose chases...........

It's amazing that they can program something like that in the first place, but the limitations become very obvious when, for example, you go through a spaghetti junction-like exchange and it suddenly thinks you are on a different level, therefore on the wrong road and suddenly yells at you to exit! It also gets confused on hairpin bends.

I would have got the TomTom, which is much cheaper and reviewed much better but they don't sell it here. TomTom told me that's because the Oz databases are not up to their standards yet - and I can believe them. Several times I have driven right across the middle of large bodies of water mapwise when the lake can be seen miles away!