Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

GP won't let me have copy of medical records

GP won't let me have copy of medical records

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:47 pm
Darwin since Jun 2008

TJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud of
Default Re: GP won't let me have copy of medical records

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A1181657

As I said this link tells all!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:49 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i would speak to the practice manager again - and ask her for her full name - make her spell it - so you can make sure you get it right for the data protection regulator. and just say - 'and can i confirm - you are refusing me the right to see records held about me?' should make her think twice.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing much to add. The others have said it all.

However......there is often a time delay for the GP practice to double check your records, to ensure that there is no information in there relating to other people...or (very rarely) an anonymous letter from a family member.

I think that it's 40 days max.

(The anonymous letter thing....I have seen an adult daughter write a letter to the GP about her father....he had had a stroke, partially recovered, but it affected his mood and personality....basically, from everyone's accounts, he had a personality disorder etc....but he was lovely in front of the GP so GP never saw it.......daughter was very afraid of this bloke.....as were her kids. Her letter meant that he got help faster etc. He didnt know about the letter, family didnt want him to know. He got additional care faster. Everyone was happy.)

PS. I think that it is OUTRAGEOUS that the practice manager is saying that you can't have a copy of your records. Sounds like she has serious holes in her knowledge. It's def the prac manager and not a receptionist?

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Apr 23rd 2008 at 5:09 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TJUK
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A1181657

As I said this link tells all!
On no account were we able to get hold of our dentist records they were just insistent that by law they were not allowed to go out of the dentist surgery.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ausi dream
On no account were we able to get hold of our dentist records they were just insistent that by law they were not allowed to go out of the dentist surgery.
Correct. You are not allowed the originals.

But you can have copies. That they make.