Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

GP won't let me have copy of medical records

GP won't let me have copy of medical records

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default GP won't let me have copy of medical records

Please help, esp any medical people out there. My GP won't allow me to photocopy my medical notes. I'm in Belfast, and they told me that they can't release a photocopy of the notes, because the records "belong to the Central Services Agency" or CSA (the organisation which provides support services to the DHSSPS, HSS Boards, Trusts and Agencies, and handles the patient records admin).

I would like to see my medical records in advance of booking my medicals because I've had a complicated medical history in the past, plus I would also like to take a copy with me should I get into Australia. The practice manager at my surgery says I can't request a copy of my notes for these purposes; if I register with a GP in Oz, they must contact the CSA to request my notes, who will then contact my surgery to transfer them. But what a palaver that becomes!

They also tried to say I wasn't allowed to view the records, although when I pushed the issue they said I can see the notes, by appointment, for a £10.50 fee, and must give my written reasons why I want to see them before any such appointment can be granted (which makes me think they're likely to turn down requests).

Is my GP operating legitimately, or do they have the right to do this? If so, fair enough and I stand corrected, but it seems wrong and I've seen other posts where people have had absolutely no problem accessing notes and getting copies.

Any advice would be sooooooo much appreciated!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GP won't let me have copy of medical records

Maybe you have a complicated case but when we came out (1 year ago) I just asked my GP and he printed off the records for all my family and didn't even charge me without even questioning it. Hope you get it sorted
S xx
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Please help, esp any medical people out there. My GP won't allow me to photocopy my medical notes. I'm in Belfast, and they told me that they can't release a photocopy of the notes, because the records "belong to the Central Services Agency" or CSA (the organisation which provides support services to the DHSSPS, HSS Boards, Trusts and Agencies, and handles the patient records admin).

I would like to see my medical records in advance of booking my medicals because I've had a complicated medical history in the past, plus I would also like to take a copy with me should I get into Australia. The practice manager at my surgery says I can't request a copy of my notes for these purposes; if I register with a GP in Oz, they must contact the CSA to request my notes, who will then contact my surgery to transfer them. But what a palaver that becomes!

They also tried to say I wasn't allowed to view the records, although when I pushed the issue they said I can see the notes, by appointment, for a £10.50 fee, and must give my written reasons why I want to see them before any such appointment can be granted (which makes me think they're likely to turn down requests).

Is my GP operating legitimately, or do they have the right to do this? If so, fair enough and I stand corrected, but it seems wrong and I've seen other posts where people have had absolutely no problem accessing notes and getting copies.

You are legally entitled to a copy of your records under the Data Protection Act. If the GP refuses, go to your local Trust and insist. It is your right to have a copy (though not the originals).

When you get to Aus the system is different, you don't have a GP as such, and you don't have the same sytem of medical records. If you want your records to come to Australia with you, you will need to get a copy and bring them yourself as no-one here will request them.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:34 am
Darwin since Jun 2008

TJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud ofTJUK has much to be proud of

Hope this link to the BBC helps.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A1181657

Dave
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:36 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

We brought copies of our medical records. GP in UK even posted them out to us in OZ.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:39 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

We just got a contact sheet - one A4 piece of paper listing the things that we have been treated for over the years. Our GP didn't charge for this though I believe they are entitled to.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:51 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We paid £10 each for our records. The doctor in Oz however did not want them and did not require them.

In Oz it is possible to go to different GP's you dont need to be a registered patient as such. You are able to move and your history does not go with you. Xrays are kept with you not the hospital or GP.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but this was the way it seemed to be for me in Victoria anyway.

Jo
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not allowed to say no. Go back and argue. Oh and don't let them rip you off with charging silly money. They have no right.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Hi
As is already mentioned, you have the right to a copy of your medical records and this they can charge you. You have the right to view your records, which you need to make an appointment but you are not to be charged for this. Under the data protection act you are allowed to view any file thats held about you. Obviously police files can't normally be viewed in person hence why you pay to have records sent to you.

Be firm and as mentioned go to your local health authority.

John
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:42 pm

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ask them what part of "The Freedom of Information Act" that they dont understand. You have every right to see & have copies of your medical notes should you so wish.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for their advice

I will definitely be countering the load of nonsense the GP Practice Manager told me earlier, just about to put it in writing to her.

I suppose its just another thing sent to try me!!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:55 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I will definitely be countering the load of nonsense the GP Practice Manager told me earlier, just about to put it in writing to her.

I ignored our practice manager and just made an appointment with my GP and asked him. He said to have a word with the PM and I said I didn't have much faith in her (my mother used to work at the practice and I knew all the ins and outs of the people there). He agreed to print them off himself and didn't charge me.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

Practice managers should be shot, they always have a very big chip on their shoulder. Am sure your GP will know the requirements. If I remember there is something on the NHS website about access to your records.

Ditto everyone else, mine cost £50, they photocopied everything for me.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Thats right i remember them telling me that at the time we wanted ours, the doctors surgery cant do it.
What we had to do was phone up the hospital records department at which hospital you attend and ask them for a copy if you explain that you are emigrating and need a copy to take, there should not be any problem.
All those receiving a copy individually will have to sign for them and if i remember rightly i think we had to pay some thing.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to mention it does take time for them to get the records, so make sure to do it in plenty of time before you emigrate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.