Reload this Page >

GP moving down under- The Gong or Newcastle

GP moving down under- The Gong or Newcastle

Old Jul 18th 2013, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

gtewary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GP moving down under- The Gong or Newcastle

Hi All,
I am a GP and am thinking of moving down under.
I have an offer lined up for Glendale in NSW and having researched it, it seemed ideal for us- we are a young family with a son who will be 2 soon.

However, I've recently had feelers from another practice in Wollongong and that seems like a nice place too. And now I'm in 2 minds!

Anyone shed light on these 2 areas- which is 'better' if that can be an easy answer.

Would particularly love to hear from a GP if possible. Have seen some posts from people who have moved recently.

P.s- I'll be moving early next year
Old Jul 19th 2013, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: GP moving down under- The Gong or Newcastle

Very similar areas in many respects. Old "coal and steel" cities that have had to become post-industrial, much like equivalent cities in the UK.
Fantastic Beaches on your doorstep.
Both accessible to Sydney
If you want to get out of town, Wollongong has the Southern Highlands, Newcastle has the Hunter Valley.

Newcastle is more compact as a City, but Glendale is actually in the Lake Macquarie council area as part of an elongated scattering of suburbs and villages that extend South and eventually meet up with the Central Coast, which is very nice in its own way.

Similarly the Illawarra area is a scattering of suburbs between the Ocean and the Coastal Range. Both have good rail services into Sydney.

Both areas have the usual Shoppingtowns, etc.

I live a couple of hours North of Newcastle - drive down regularly - and also visited the Gong last year, to my mind it's much of a muchness although Newcastle City itself is a lot more "gracious" with some lovely Victorian architecture, a bit of cafe society happening, terraced houses, a magnificent pseudo gothic cathedral. The gong is more old working class.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 9:28 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I have just moved to the Lake Macquarie area. It's early days but if you have any questions, just ask
Old Jul 19th 2013, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mike for a very thorough answer.

Kapri- thank you too. Any idea about schooling and which suburbs might be best for schooling/commute to Glendale etc.?

This seems like a nice friendly community- glad to be part of it and hopefully one day I will be in a position to contribute. Right now I suppose its gonna be just questions and more questions!
Old Jul 19th 2013, 10:06 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gtewary
Thanks Mike for a very thorough answer.

Kapri- thank you too. Any idea about schooling and which suburbs might be best for schooling/commute to Glendale etc.?

This seems like a nice friendly community- glad to be part of it and hopefully one day I will be in a position to contribute. Right now I suppose its gonna be just questions and more questions!
There will be a number of factors to consider: budget, how far you're prepared to commute and the life style you're looking for.
The area is made up of two cities which is only the size of one: Newcastle and Lake Macquarie. If you're working in Glendale, you could live in either.
In Newcastle, Merewether is a sought after suburb by the beach and has good schools. Adamstown heights is also good I'm told.
If you opt for Lake Macquarie, good suburbs are Warners Bay, Eleebana and Valentine.
We have opted to send our children to catholic school as it's an affordable private option and they went to a catholic school in the UK.
There are plenty of private schools in the area and you could choose one that suits your budget.
If you don't want to pay fees then the school at Merewether has a good rep but you'll pay more to live in the area.
I'm new here so don't know a lot more than this in terms of suburbs and schools but just shout if you have other questions

Last edited by Kapri; Jul 19th 2013 at 10:09 am.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

You could actually live in Gateshead, which is just a bit South of the Newcastle CBD.
Now why does that sound familiar
Old Jul 19th 2013, 10:13 am
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
You could actually live in Gateshead, which is just a bit South of the Newcastle CBD.
Now why does that sound familiar

Gateshead is not recommended as a place to live
Old Jul 19th 2013, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Kapri- I guess without having set foot in the country its a bit difficult to be precise. But, we want what one would consider a 'typical Aussie lifestyle' sitting here in UK- laidback and chilled. We are keen to be by the sea or Lake but not too far from humanity for shopping, schools etc.
Budget I'd say 650 to 800 AUD max and 2-3 bedrooms minimum. Our preference is for a house.
Looking on some property websites Rathmines seems to come up a lot. Any ideas?
My son will only be about 2 by the time we are there so I guess we can research when we get there but he will need Nursery straight away.
I don't mind commuting 20-30 mins to Glendale.
lastly, we are Indians- any Indian shops there?
Old Jul 19th 2013, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good comprehensive Indian store at Hamilton, West Newcastle. I'm a bit of an Indian / Sri Lankan Chef myself as are many from the UK and get most of my kitchen supplies when I'm down there.
Old Jul 20th 2013, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Mike you're welcome to sample my Indian cooking once my kitchen is up and running. Kapri you're welcome too!
Old Jul 21st 2013, 10:01 am
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by gtewary
Mike you're welcome to sample my Indian cooking once my kitchen is up and running. Kapri you're welcome too!
Yum yum, yes please

I have sent you a private message re: suburb info

Last edited by Kapri; Jul 21st 2013 at 10:05 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 12:40 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the Wollongong area and a few ex UK Doctors have recently moved out here in the last 6 months. One moved out here a couple of years ago on the Rural Doctor scheme and has now just set up his own surgery in Wollongong.
The recent arrivals are young, 20's or early 30's and early reports are that they are loving it!!
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Paddyo. The signs are encouraging!
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 10:38 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

The Gong....its the place to be!!!! 1hr 20min to Sydney by direct train!!
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 12:34 am
Social Grenade Thrower

As an aside, the doctor who has now set up his own medical centre was a great guy, Dr Hyare. He was looking at recruiting from the UK specifically because of the way UK GP's deal with patients. There is a chasm of difference over here and I suppose its a case of 'knowing the best way between both country styles' which he has adopted.
Others who live in Wollongong have recently arrived and are practising in Albion Park and Shellharbour which is just a very short drive away.
Check out this previous 'GP in Wollongong' thread too.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=wollongong