Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Government job interview panels

Government job interview panels

Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road
Question Government job interview panels

Dear god, the shock nearly made me spill my Crown.

I had a call inviting me for interview for a division of state government.

Now I understand these are panel type interviews.

Anyone been for through one of these and got any tips.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 11:32 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Government job interview panels

Originally posted by Nibbs

I had to have a panel interview for my job at the University, I've also been on an interview panel.

Usually it is three people, at least two of them will have a good knowledge of the type of work you'll be doing.

You get there and they tell you the questions they are going to ask you and give you 10 to 15 minutes to think about your answers.

The questions are closely related to the selection criteria you would already have met to get the interview.

You then do the interview.

Good luck!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 11:36 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nibbs

Good tip with panel interviews is watch the quiet one !

Dont witter on , dont waffle but use ur teeth and smile, not daft smile but confident, speak factually and pause when answering a question.. eagerness can look amateurish in these situations.

watch out for the telefone to god manouvre by the panel, body watch them.. oh telefone to god, they place hand on side cheek, phsycologically means they are listening to you but questioning the answers for you in their head...

watch voice tones, and do what is called mimicking, or mirroring, adjust vocal tones to match that of and speed of the question, think deliberately and speak fluently !

Good luck
Old Feb 17th 2004, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by renth
I
You get there and they tell you the questions they are going to ask you and give you 10 to 15 minutes to think about your answers.

Good luck!
How many questions - roughly - did they give you time to think about?

Steve
Old Feb 18th 2004, 2:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cookies
How many questions - roughly - did they give you time to think about?

Steve

About 7 or 8 questions.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers guys,

Really appreciate that.

Renth I thought it was you that had done selection panels but couldn't find the thread.

Is there a tendency to use the behaviour type questions i.e. "Tell me about a time.....". I really hate those as I'm perfect and don't have any issues

I'm really hopeful of this one so thanks for the good luck calls.

Cheers
Old Feb 18th 2004, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

remember the equity and diversity rules. They cannot ask a question, or use a selection criteria that may disadvantage a candidate.

If they do you can always then challenge the procedure. probably just the threat of a challenge will get 'em on the hop, the whole selection procedure is open to audit by independant auditors.

Seriously though, one thing that often disadvantages a recent migrant is the citizenship requirement (position is open only to au citizens, or those who qualify for citizenship).

One thing most pubes (public servants) do no, or will no tell you is if you check the requirements for citizenship, the time periods of residency before citizenship can be considered may be waived if you are disadvantaged by not being a citizen, for instance if not being a citizen precludes you from employment.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cheers Trev,

Didn't know they would be flexible about citizenship.

Have to say this job didn't mention anything about it so lets hope I'm OK on PR. Spoke to a Shire CEO whos a mate and he reckoned it'd be fine but we'll see.

By 10:45 tomorrow I'll know if it's an issue !
Old Feb 18th 2004, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

state governent may be fine,

federal government for most departments its a requirement (citizenship that is), although you can be employed on a temporary basis, if the department head signs off on employing you..

Still, there is that waiver in the citizenship granting rules...