Reload this Page >

Government Job Grades - UK to Aus

Government Job Grades - UK to Aus

Old Jul 4th 2004, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Jules&Dex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Government Job Grades - UK to Aus

Hi.

I currently work in the UK civil service and have held positions at grade GC12 (AO) and GC10 (EO) levels.
I have been checking out Aus government jobs as we are emigrating in Nov.

Does anyone know how the UK/Aus grades equate to each other?

I have seen Aus jobs advertised at levels APS 1 to 6 but do not know where I would fit in.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Why does Nov seem so far away?

Regards

Jules
Old Jul 4th 2004, 9:11 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Government Job Grades - UK to Aus

Originally posted by Jules&Dex
Hi.

I currently work in the UK civil service and have held positions at grade GC12 (AO) and GC10 (EO) levels.

I have seen Aus jobs advertised at levels APS 1 to 6 but do not know where I would fit in.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Why does Nov seem so far away?

Regards

Jules
Are you aware that most "Federal" Government jobs are only available to Citizens ? However, State government vacancies should be OK.

I'll look up the info I have seen on the grades, but I can't recall where it was just now.

Old Jul 4th 2004, 9:19 am
ABCDiamond

Go to this wewbsite http://www.psgazetteonline.gov.au/ws/PSEOSearch.asp

enter APS5 in the area marked "containing the word" and hit search.

Then look at the job descriptions it comes up with.

Do that for each APS level that you want to review.

eg:

APS Level 5 $47475-52222, Brisbane

Duties: APS5's are typically part of a team engaged in the collection, processing, compilation and/or dissemination of statistical information, and most jobs will involve team leader responsibilities. The ABS Queensland Office may rotate staff between various positions at level in the interests of career development and organisational flexibility, and staff are expected to be capable of adapting quickly to new duties. Staff at this level are also expected to be actively involved in and contribute to broader corporate goals and encourage the involvement of their staff in these activities.

Old Jul 4th 2004, 9:20 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Citizens or eligible to become one. When I worked for Centrelink, i worked with quite a few 10 quid Englishmen who'd never taken out Australian citizenship. I have a fair idea some sort of sunset clause existed for those guys, but still.

I'm fairly certain the requirement is Australian citizen or eligible to become one; i.e 2 years PR. Something that requires your allegiance, i.e Dept. of Defense, etc, may want you to become an Australian.

Job grades when I last worked for Centrelink were ASO 1 through 6 (Adminitrative Service Officer) where 6 is highest, then SOG 1 through 3 (Senior Officer Grade) then SES 1 through 3 (Senior Executive Service). I made it to ASO5
Old Jul 4th 2004, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Government Job Grades - UK to Aus

Originally posted by Jules&Dex
Hi.

There won't be a direct comparison between the two organisations. I used to work very closely with the civil service and now work as a contractor in an Australian government agency. I would equate an EO [now a Grade D in the UK civil servive] to be either an AO4 or AO5 in Australia. A HEO [now a C2 in the UK] equates to an AO6 or AO7 in Australia.

My opinions only - but hope it helps

Steve
Old Jul 4th 2004, 10:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

In Queensland, you can have a temporary government job (some last 6 years!) on a temp visa, permanent job on a PR visa.

If you have a look at
www.jobs.qld.gov.au

you'll find all the current vacamcies, with their grades - and what pay the grade equates to.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 2:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Federal government jobs normally require citizenship.

Sometimes PRs are engaged, on an exceptional basis - but usually are expected to become citizens as soon as eligible.

A PR who is eligible for citizenship but refuses to apply would not usually be employed by the federal government. I suspect many of the long resident British working for the federal government - especially at senior levels - have naturalised in recent years, even if they didn't have to previously.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Ulujain
Citizens or eligible to become one. When I worked for Centrelink, i worked with quite a few 10 quid Englishmen who'd never taken out Australian citizenship. I have a fair idea some sort of sunset clause existed for those guys, but still.

I'm fairly certain the requirement is Australian citizen or eligible to become one; i.e 2 years PR. Something that requires your allegiance, i.e Dept. of Defense, etc, may want you to become an Australian.
Old Jul 4th 2004, 8:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, sorry I should have specified I meant State Govt - as Jeremy says, Federal requires citizenship.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Jules&Dex is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies. Didn't realise there was a difference between State and Federal regulations.

Cheers

Jules
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:20 am
Just Joined

mandy smith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default INFO PLEASE

Originally posted by Ulujain

Job grades when I last worked for Centrelink were ASO 1 through 6 (Adminitrative Service Officer) where 6 is highest, then SOG 1 through 3 (Senior Officer Grade) then SES 1 through 3 (Senior Executive Service). I made it to ASO5
Hi,

I noticed from your message that you worked for Centrelink,i actually work for Jobcentre plus in th UK which is the equivelant
to Centrelink.
I have looked at there website and it does state that you have to be an Australian Citizen.
What job were you doing there? and are they good employers?
my job role is paying benefits to the unemployed processing and customer service.
I may ask when we get there( late August) if there might be a clause where i might be able to apply due to my experience and that i have a permanant visa and will be applying for residency in two years time.

Any info would be appreciated

Mandy
Old Jul 6th 2004, 10:56 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: INFO PLEASE

Originally posted by mandy smith
Hi,

I noticed from your message that you worked for Centrelink,i actually work for Jobcentre plus in th UK which is the equivelant
to Centrelink.
I have looked at there website and it does state that you have to be an Australian Citizen.
What job were you doing there? and are they good employers?
my job role is paying benefits to the unemployed processing and customer service.
I may ask when we get there( late August) if there might be a clause where i might be able to apply due to my experience and that i have a permanant visa and will be applying for residency in two years time.

Any info would be appreciated

Mandy

I'm not sure how they recruit now, but back in the old days, you sat the public service exam and you were placed in a department. Nowadays, I believe each bureau runs its own recruitment.

I did a whole range of things when I worked for Centrelink, but it was mainly pensions namely age, disability, sole parents, etc.

My employer, technically speaking, was the Commonwealth of Australia. Yeah, they were good to work for. You had a job for life there if you so desired.

I hope to get back into it actually.