Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Government grant to buy a home?

Government grant to buy a home?

Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

G1ZmO will become famous soon enough
Default Government grant to buy a home?

I was told that the Australian government gives out grants to people who are buying their first home. Is this true and does it apply to immigrants?

Thanks

Paul
Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:33 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Government grant to buy a home?

Originally Posted by G1ZmO
I was told that the Australian government gives out grants to people who are buying their first home. Is this true and does it apply to immigrants?

Thanks

Paul
Permanent residents and citizens who are buying their first home in Australia are eligible for the First Homeowner's Grant. Until 30 June 2009 the grant for a new build/new home is $21000 and $14000 for a resale home. See this link for details.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:42 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Permanent residents and citizens who are buying their first home in Australia are eligible for the First Homeowner's Grant. Until 30 June 2009 the grant for a new build/new home is $21000 and $14000 for a resale home. See this link for details.
Do you think they will reduce / kybosh it all together after this date or is it working well ?

Dougie
Old Jan 31st 2009, 2:00 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
Do you think they will reduce / kybosh it all together after this date or is it working well ?

Dougie
After 1 July the grant is set to return to $7000.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

Obviously nobody knows for sure, but I reckon they will extend it to try and keep the housing market alive.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 2:13 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
Obviously nobody knows for sure, but I reckon they will extend it to try and keep the housing market alive.
I agree - just got mine BTW
Old Jan 31st 2009, 3:23 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

We received our $7,000 from the government and next week we will get our $2,000 from REBA(?)

It went a long way to helping us and thats for sure.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

jollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura about

hi princess whats the £2000 from REBA for please ? cheers
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:25 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jollyswagman
hi princess whats the £2000 from REBA for please ? cheers

Think its THIS jolly

looks like more first time buyers grants to me

Is this just in WA?

Dougie
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

G1ZmO will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all this info folks!

Looks like the grant will have been reduced considerably by the time we get there but useful all the same!

Paul
Old Jan 31st 2009, 10:06 pm
Still alive

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
Think its THIS jolly

looks like more first time buyers grants to me

Is this just in WA?

Dougie
Yes it is only in WA. And it is very specific. Not everyone gets that one.

We signed all our contracts for our house build about a week before the gov't announced the increase in FHOG, so only got the $7k. 21 would have been much more helpful - would have got us the aircon and a nice downpayment on a pool - but we were told that we would have to cancel all our contracts and make new offers on everything. Major PITA, so we are more than happy with $7k. It sure beats the hell out of nothing!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:39 am
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yes it is only in WA. And it is very specific. Not everyone gets that one.

We signed all our contracts for our house build about a week before the gov't announced the increase in FHOG, so only got the $7k. 21 would have been much more helpful - would have got us the aircon and a nice downpayment on a pool - but we were told that we would have to cancel all our contracts and make new offers on everything. Major PITA, so we are more than happy with $7k. It sure beats the hell out of nothing!
Yep anything is better than nothing

sorry to hear it but thats my luck too, a week later and 'just look at what you could av won' !

Dougie
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

KitLdnBne is on a distinguished road

I'm confused about this, I'm australian and my hubbie just got his spouse visa through, will this make him also eligible for the buyers grant? I can't figure out whether he would be a "Permanent Resident" or not. Any ideas?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:53 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by KitLdnBne
I'm confused about this, I'm australian and my hubbie just got his spouse visa through, will this make him also eligible for the buyers grant? I can't figure out whether he would be a "Permanent Resident" or not. Any ideas?
His visa could be temporary or permanent, hard to say unless you know your circumstances.

Regardless, have you ever bought a house in Australia before? Because if you have bought a house and you are buying a house together (on paper) then you won't be eligible for it. But if you've never bought a house before, or if your name isn't going on the paperwork then you should be able to get it. Provided of course your husband gets a permanent visa.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by KitLdnBne
If you've got a visa class 309 then your husband will not be a permanent resident for another 2 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.