Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

goverment housing in Adelaide

goverment housing in Adelaide

Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

jopaul will become famous soon enoughjopaul will become famous soon enough
Default goverment housing in Adelaide

hi there, i was wondering of any one had used or knew anyone that had used this goverment housing in Adelaide. We are hoping to move out in January and are looking at the moment at provate rentals, but this would be ideal just for a few weeks so we can find were we want to settle and sort schools etc. any information would be gratefully received. thanks

Jo x
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:34 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: goverment housing in Adelaide

Sorry, but what are you asking about gov. housing? Their waiting lists are just as bad as I here I am told.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

The OP means on arrival accomodation in SA which is basically empty council properties. You can apply for this when you get your visa and you are allowed to stay up to 12 weeks.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, I would be interested in the replies to this too, we are interested in the government housing in SA for when we arrive.

Some people we chatted to had heard some bad stories, but if it means that sparky hub and I don't have to worry about private landlords in the short term, then we'd give it a go.

Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

found this info for gov housing when you arrive in adelaide on a skilled visa, sounds good but not sure what the accomadation will be like
http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/sit..._onarrival.php
Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

jopaul will become famous soon enoughjopaul will become famous soon enough

thanks for your replies, just trying to find out whats best. thinking of a hotel such as travel lodge for a week and then into rented furnished for a few weeks until furniture arrives.

thought this type of housing would be a better idea but i suppose you dont know where you might be put. think i will contact SA goverment and ask them.

thanks to everyone
jo x
Old Oct 1st 2007, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jopaul
thanks for your replies, just trying to find out whats best. thinking of a hotel such as travel lodge for a week and then into rented furnished for a few weeks until furniture arrives.

thought this type of housing would be a better idea but i suppose you dont know where you might be put. think i will contact SA goverment and ask them.

thanks to everyone
jo x
I decided not to take the on arrival accom, But do now of people who did, some say it was ok, others say never again, depends were you get put.
If you are looking for last minute reduced price hotels,apartments etc. Look on a site called www.wotif.com.au Also try jackson's motel, that's on the outskirts of the city, good standard, nice pool and on a bus route only $50 per night for room.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milly123
I decided not to take the on arrival accom, But do now of people who did, some say it was ok, others say never again, depends were you get put.
If you are looking for last minute reduced price hotels,apartments etc. Look on a site called www.wotif.com.au Also try jackson's motel, that's on the outskirts of the city, good standard, nice pool and on a bus route only $50 per night for room.
We were unable to get one too, as you have to give them 6 weeks notice, but they did pick us from the airport & paid for two cabs as we had loads of suitcases.
Also they give you loads useful information, if you can get place take it, it would save you loads of $$$, our temp accommodation was very expensive, $100, a night. we were there for 2 months before we moved to our permeant rental.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

chippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jopaul
hi there, i was wondering of any one had used or knew anyone that had used this goverment housing in Adelaide. We are hoping to move out in January and are looking at the moment at provate rentals, but this would be ideal just for a few weeks so we can find were we want to settle and sort schools etc. any information would be gratefully received. thanks

Jo x
hi folks!!! im in a OAA now as i type. We are based in glenelg north which is a nice place its only 10min walk from the sea front and jetty rd.The unit is basic and clean which is ok just somewhere to eat and crash!! BUT we have the neigbours from HELL below us with there drug smoking beer drinking and loud music playing till early hrs in the morning.Our 4 weeks here have been as good as we hoped!!.The OAA is mixed with migrents from all over,and council aussies
We have spoke to poeple who have OAA and its been great for them so dont be put off for what ive wrote.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:49 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We had a 3 bedroom house in Surrey Downs that was fantastic. Clean, fully furnished, close to schools & shops and right on a bus line. While it was certainly no castle, it was just what we needed while we waited for our container and found our own rental.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Roo1 is on a distinguished road

I've heard mixed reports too about OAA. Luckily my husband had come out before me so had our accomodation or ready set up for us.
One friend fell on her feet and had basic accomodation but what did it for her was the lovely volunteers who met her at the airport, then showed her and her family around Adelaide. Others I know only lasted a week before they got out and found some alternative accomodation once they knew their way around Adelaide.

Judi x
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:31 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
The OP means on arrival accomodation in SA which is basically empty council properties. You can apply for this when you get your visa and you are allowed to stay up to 12 weeks.
Thanks for clarifying - that's a good use of empty places and helps those newbies when they arrive.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 5:11 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killamarsh
Thanks for clarifying - that's a good use of empty places and helps those newbies when they arrive.
They're not empty places. They are booked up well in advance, which is why so few people get granted OAA. We moved out of ours on a Monday and when we went back on Wednesday to tidy the back garden the new migrants were already there.