Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gotten the PR...what next?

Gotten the PR...what next?

Old Jul 7th 2002, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

hongwee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gotten the PR...what next?

I've been doing some research, but can't find specific answers. Hopefully these questions don't sound too silly:

1. The visa states that I must not enter Oz before my sponsor (my wife).
My wife is in Singapore now with me. Does that mean when we move back (to Oz) together, I'd have to make sure I queue up BEHIND her at the Customs? hahahahha...

2. After entering Oz for the first time with this new visa, is there a minimum period that I must be in Oz before I can fly off to somewhere? And is there a maximum period which I can be away from Oz?

3. It was stated that the application for the actual PR will take place about 2 years later. Is this "2 years" from the approved date of the provisional PR, or from the date I enter Oz for the first time with the provisional PR-visa?

Thanks for reading.
Old Jul 7th 2002, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

chana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gotten the PR...what next?

Answer 1 : Queue behind your wife. :-)

Answer 2 : Can someone help with this question? I need to know as well.

Answer 3: I think it's 2 years continued stay in Australia. I wish to know too.
Old Jul 7th 2002, 4:13 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Hi guys, I'm no expert but I think I know the answers (ready to be corrected though!)

1. You can enter together on the same flight.
2. No minimum period. You can leave Aus the same day if you feel like it. See below about max period away.
3. Not sure what you mean. Your PR becomes valid as soon as you enter Aus and, like it says on the tin, is permanent, ie forever, though you need to meet certain conditions, eg always have a valid Returning Residents Visa (RRV) in your passport if you leave Aus and wish to return with continued PR. Maybe you are referring to Aus citizenship, which you can get after 2 years residence in Aus and with an Aus passport you don't need to worry about the RRV stuff.

All the best
Old Jul 7th 2002, 5:30 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

newstartnz,

hongwee was referring to a Spouse Visa, which is on a temporary 2 year validity before being 'permanently' PR.

http://www.dima.gov.au/faq/migration...amily02.htm#is

Contrary to popular belief, not all PR categories are created equal.

It can also be inferred that the 2 years spend on the temporary visa will not be counted towards when the spouse eventually puts in his/her citizenship application.

Peter

Originally posted by newstartnz
3. Not sure what you mean. Your PR becomes valid as soon as you enter Aus and, like it says on the tin, is permanent, ie forever, though you need to meet certain conditions, eg always have a valid Returning Residents Visa (RRV) in your passport if you leave Aus and wish to return with continued PR.
Old Jul 7th 2002, 6:13 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Whoops! Sorry hongwee and good luck with your PR time in Aus!

All the best
Old Jul 7th 2002, 8:20 pm
John Lamont

Hi.......

As Chana says, there is no ha, ha, ha, about it. If your wife is the main applicant,
then legally you cannot enter Australia before her, so yes, you do have to queue
behind your wife. You cannot validate your visa until your wife's visa has been
validated.

Cheers........ Johnno........

--
John Lamont
[email protected]

1. The visa states that I must not enter Oz before my sponsor (my wife). My wife is
in Singapore now with me. Does that mean when we move back (to Oz) together, I'd
have to make sure I queue up BEHIND her at the Customs? hahahahha...

Old Jul 7th 2002, 8:20 pm
Dean Chapman

The 2 year period starts when the provisional visa is approved. You can leave
Australia as soon as the visa is validated (but you have to leave the
airport....allegedly). You can stay away for as long as your visa is valid but you
have to live in Oz for 2 years out of the previous 5 to get a renewal visa. Dean.

"hongwee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I've been doing some research, but can't find specific answers. Hopefully these
    > questions don't sound too silly:
    >
    > 1. The visa states that I must not enter Oz before my sponsor (my wife). My wife is
    > in Singapore now with me. Does that mean when we move back (to Oz) together, I'd
    > have to make sure I queue up BEHIND her at the Customs? hahahahha...
    >
    > 2. After entering Oz for the first time with this new visa, is there a minimum
    > period that I must be in Oz before I can fly off to somewhere? And is there a
    > maximum period which I can be away from Oz?
    >
    > 3. It was stated that the application for the actual PR will take place about 2
    > years later. Is this "2 years" from the approved date of the provisional PR, or
    > from the date I enter Oz for the first time with the provisional PR-visa?
    >
    > Thanks for reading.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 8th 2002, 2:20 am
Hills

hongwee wrote:

> I've been doing some research, but can't find specific answers. Hopefully these
    > questions don't sound too silly:
    >
    > 1. The visa states that I must not enter Oz before my sponsor (my wife). My wife is
    > in Singapore now with me. Does that mean when we move back (to Oz) together, I'd
    > have to make sure I queue up BEHIND her at the Customs? hahahahha...

The immigration counters work one *family* at a time. So, you put both passports on
the counter at the same time, and let the customs officer work out which one they
stamp first (more hahahahah). LJ

Old Jul 8th 2002, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

hongwee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys..thanks!!!!

ok.. some clarification..

My wife is not the main applicant. She's an Australian citizen and she was the one who sponsored me in the PR application

I'd definitely be moving over to Oz by the end of the year, but what I'm concern with is that my job (if the relocation pulls thru) requires me to do some travelling. Which means I cannot be in Australia everyday for 2 years. I don't want that to jeopardize the application process for the actual PR (in about 2 years' time).

I know the Oz immigration is reasonable (right? hehehe), but I just want to know if there is a maximum period which I can be away before the Immigration decides that I've been away for TOO long to be considered for the actual PR thingie. (Or they may have decide that I've been away for too long that my visa would be made invalid).

Another thing is the RRV issue. My approval letter came with a document that talks about RRV. However, after reading thru it a couple of times, I still find it too generalised to understand. Or am I just TOO paranoid? As such, I don't even know if I'd need one.

Maybe I'd just go read it again.

Meanwhile, I won't be going to Australia until we've finished with all our arrangements for the "Big Move". Then we'd just hop on the flight together, and I'd remember to let her go thru customs first. *grin*

But should I travel out of Australia (either for business trip or leisure), I should have no problem re-entering Australia, right? (since the visa in my passport says "multiple travel")

Hmm.. I think I'm worrying too much....