Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gotta be there b4 11th December (HELP)

Gotta be there b4 11th December (HELP)

Old Jul 4th 2005, 8:56 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gotta be there b4 11th December (HELP)

Purple Swatches much better half here (lol).

We got our visa's on Friday and we've gotta be in Oz b4 the 11th December.

Thats approx 20 weeks :scared: :scared:

What do we do now ?????
Our heads are just cabbaged at the minute so we could do with a few pointers.

We have an offer on our house so hopefully that should be sold in 'bout 10-12 weeks.

Any advice welcome. We'll probably be k in a few days once it really sinks in that we are going.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 8:59 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gotta be there b4 11th December (HELP)

Originally Posted by 4500 Times

What do we do now ?????

We have an offer on our house so hopefully that should be sold in 'bout 10-12 weeks.

Any advice welcome. We'll probably be k in a few days once it really sinks in that we are going.

probably leave it a couple of days then.....give yourself a bit of time to absorb the news, then when you are calmer you will be able to approach the huge task ahead of you with a clearer mind. its still 5 months off......so dont panic!

good lcuk...and congrats on the visa!

sue
Old Jul 4th 2005, 9:06 am

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
probably leave it a couple of days then.....give yourself a bit of time to absorb the news, then when you are calmer you will be able to approach the huge task ahead of you with a clearer mind. its still 5 months off......so dont panic!

good lcuk...and congrats on the visa!

sue
Cheers for that Sue

Of course i'm the calm one, it's Debs that stressed out (NOT) !!!!!
Old Jul 4th 2005, 9:19 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Cabbaged! Fantastic term - know what you mean too. When our visas arrived I burst into tears and declared that I'd changed my mind; talk about reality hitting you in the face. Five months is ages though. If the house is sorted, you've done the hard bit. I guess you need to:

Make lists: of everything and anything! Something you can start straight away and the smug sense of self-satisfaction at how organised you are is wonderful.

Decide on your route and book flights: this is fun!!! Enjoy. Means you can set your date and the rest falls into place.

Sort out what you're going to take and leave (if you are shipping stuff): Start this ASAP as it takes forever and you can't be bothered the closer it gets and other stuff seems more important. Clean anything that you'll not use between now and the shipping date and store away (this can wait a bit, but do it early 'cause then you avoid the last minute panic - says the voice of experience!).

Finalise shipping: Get quotes (if you've not done already) from at least three companies, haggle on price and then appoint one.

Sort out any short-term accommodation: both in the UK (if you're shipping quite a way before you fly) and in Aus. Handy if the Aus accommodation can be in the area you're thinking about living in, which leads to ...

Think about suburbs and do some proper, reality based research: boring, but useful.

Work: hand your notice in and surf a lot while you wait for the last day to come. Useful for researching possible new employers/recruitment agencies in Aus!

Think about your leaving do! Yay!

You might also want to have a look at this really useful thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=list

If you've got this far and I've not given you a complete coronary, well done! It'll all fall into place. Honest.

Congratulations!!

Nichola

Thats approx 20 weeks
What do we do now ?????

Old Jul 4th 2005, 9:23 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

What do we do now ?????

Congratulations first of all. I don't want to panic you even more but flights in December are hard to find and go up in price also so you may have to get even more of a wiggle on.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 9:40 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on getting your visa....Marguerita time

There's something bout you baby I like so my advice is to leave the wild side of life and prepare to become the wanderer.

No more rollin home very late; you gotta be burning bridges. Living on an island is great but you are now headed down, down.

But you'll be rocking all over the world soon enough so for now roll over, lay down and let me in otherwise you'll suffer from roadhouse blues.

One of the most important things to do is book your flights on that paper plane. Some people say it can't be done but when you speak to Caroline at the airline say you aint complaining but please don't waste my time and please let me fly. There is a rumour that she's a shady lady but that's usually unspoken words.

Whatever you want you must make sure you get there by 11 Dec or you break the rules.

That's the end of the line for now. Enough is enough
Old Jul 4th 2005, 9:49 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Congrats on getting your visa....Marguerita time

There's something bout you baby I like so my advice is to leave the wild side of life and prepare to become the wanderer.

No more rollin home very late; you gotta be burning bridges. Living on an island is great but you are now headed down, down.

But you'll be rocking all over the world soon enough so for now roll over, lay down and let me in otherwise you'll suffer from roadhouse blues.

One of the most important things to do is book your flights on that paper plane. Some people say it can't be done but when you speak to Caroline at the airline say you aint complaining but please don't waste my time and please let me fly. There is a rumour that she's a shady lady but that's usually unspoken words.

Whatever you want you must make sure you get there by 11 Dec or you break the rules.

That's the end of the line for now. Enough is enough

careful people!! bix is on a roll!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jul 4th 2005, 9:52 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
careful people!! bix is on a roll!!!!!!!!!!!!

I keep seeing pictures of matchstickmen and great cubes of ice in the sun ?

It must be Ma Kellies greasy spoonful I had for lunch affecting me.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Bix
I keep seeing pictures of matchstickmen and great cubes of ice in the sun ?

It must be Ma Kellies greasy spoonful I had for lunch affecting me.

cant think of any to add.....you got em all!!
Old Jul 4th 2005, 9:59 am
Bix
da Bonehead

I'm here racking my brains like a dog with two heads.

I am on the level though....I hope they find their 12 gold bars in Australia
Old Jul 4th 2005, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bix
I'm here racking my brains like a dog with two heads.

I am on the level though....I hope they find their 12 gold bars in Australia
Ok OK You bloody smart ass

Fantastic reply, you must really be an anorak !! lolololololol

It will defo be THE END OF THE ROAD for us in Britain once the 11th comes ROCKERS ROLLIN' along.

Goddamn it you've got me doin' it now !!!!!!

I must have been over what we have to do 4500 TIMES and now i think i'm goin' SOFT IN THE HEAD, but 20 WILD HORSES could'nt stop us gettin' on that plane.

Bloody hell i've got an headache now :scared: Time for a stroll down by the RIVERSIDE to stop me going OVER THE EDGE.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Congratulations on your visas!!!!

We land on 2nd Dec in Melbourne (20 weeks). We got one way tickets with Cathay for £370 each. We found if we tried to fly the week after it was a hell of a lot more expensive. So my advice is book your flights immediately. We're shipping at the end of August and we estimate our stuff will arrive at the very end of November, so you need to start thinking about that to and how you want to orchestrate things. We have decided to ship in 2 loads but we're not tkaing furniture just all our nik nacks, linen, kitchen stuff, camping stuff, basic electricals and clothes - oh and quite a few books!!. We're sending in August and a final load the week before we fly. You've heaps of time so don't worry, all the best with your plans and your new life down under!!
Old Jul 5th 2005, 7:31 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Good post yourself

First album I ever bought was Piledriver and the reason for me buying my first record player. A mono HMV number.

It was a long time before I bought anything other than Quo albums.

Your username is my all time favourite track followed by Roadhouse Blues and Big Fat Mamma.

I have good memories of watching them performing these live.
Great band.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 8:39 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

we've gotta be in Oz b4 the 11th December.
Think yourself lucky - we've got to validate before 27/10/05 :scared:
We'v decided on a holiday in September to alleviate the pressure a bit
Good luck
Gillian
Old Jul 5th 2005, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bix
Good post yourself

First album I ever bought was Piledriver and the reason for me buying my first record player. A mono HMV number.

It was a long time before I bought anything other than Quo albums.

Your username is my all time favourite track followed by Roadhouse Blues and Big Fat Mamma.

I have good memories of watching them performing these live.
Great band.
Yeah Piledriver is a classic album. Just bought all the re-masters over here in the UK.
Don't know if you've heard them ,but they are unbelievable, especially RAOTW.

I,m a bit gutted really coz i won't get to see them this year with coming over to Oz. It'll be the 1st time i've missed a tour since 1976 !!!!

LET'S ROCK