Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got the Visa - What am I Waiting for...?

Got the Visa - What am I Waiting for...?

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:04 am
Just Joined

neila72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got the Visa - What am I Waiting for...?

Spent alot of time and money getting a permanent visa for Oz, and now I have it what's stopping me?

For me, the weak UK pound and uncertainty over my job prospects in Perth (my preferred destination, I'm not interested in Sydney/Melbourne) withinin the IT industry are the main stumbling blocks. These issues have stopped me from remembering why I wanted to go in the first place.

Yep, I'm a worrier, and not used to taking risks - so any advice from others out there in the same boat would be brilliant.

I believe it's a risk worth taking, so what's stopping me?
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got the Visa - What am I Waiting for...?

So you validate the visa, give yourself time and see how you feel and how the economy moves. It must be very hard for everyone getting their visas over the past year, not nearly so clear cut from a monetary point of view.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

regarding the IT jobs in perth, there are a lot around, if in doubt just have a look at seek.com.au

Theres always lots on there
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You will never know unless you try. If the exchange rate is putting you off and you think it is a major stumbling block then i think you do need to think if your reasons for moving to the other side of the world are the right ones! You dont mention why you want Perth, but have you visited all of the cities? Perth has it pluses, but also its negatives
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
You will never know unless you try. If the exchange rate is putting you off and you think it is a major stumbling block then i think you do need to think if your reasons for moving to the other side of the world are the right ones! You dont mention why you want Perth, but have you visited all of the cities? Perth has it pluses, but also its negatives
Monitoring the exchange rate and being worried about the historic low seems like a perfectly normal and sensible reaction to me. I don't think it suggests that the OP has not got the right reasons for moving to Australia and who decides what the right reasons are anyway.

To OP, I have also recently been granted a visa and can understand some concerns but they seem to be manageable. We are also risk averse and there is nothing wrong with that, so we would probably stagger going over. But when it comes to finding a job we all have to take the plunge at some point, there is no getting away from that. We also would probably rent the UK house out initially and wait and we have decided to see what happens to the exchange rate for the time being.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

salman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neila72
Spent alot of time and money getting a permanent visa for Oz, and now I have it what's stopping me?

For me, the weak UK pound and uncertainty over my job prospects in Perth (my preferred destination, I'm not interested in Sydney/Melbourne) withinin the IT industry are the main stumbling blocks. These issues have stopped me from remembering why I wanted to go in the first place.

Yep, I'm a worrier, and not used to taking risks - so any advice from others out there in the same boat would be brilliant.

I believe it's a risk worth taking, so what's stopping me?
I am in the same situation. Ideally you would like to have job offer before you move but as in IT you will be very lucky to have this. I have been communicating with agencies over in sydney and they assured that job market is good and I will get a job in a months time as a senior java developer. I would love to hear if it is a realistic assessment.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

oxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant future

Personally I'd go mate....

We nearly went 2 years ago, we had money etc..but got cold feet. we are looking at going out this year now but we are in a far worse position than we was then, just think I could of had my full PR by now...gutted!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

if you dont go you will always ask yourself...what would it have been like.

you will always wonder and regret not going.

if you do go and dont like it at least you can say you tried, had an experience and go back to the uk