Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got a uk to oz pc & wireless & telephone question

Got a uk to oz pc & wireless & telephone question

Old Dec 25th 2005, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future
Default Got a uk to oz pc & wireless & telephone question

Ok this is my first question: I have 2 PC's - 1 pc is connected to the net via a NTL broadband box. The other is set up wireless with one of those wireless router boxes things that plugs into my ntl box via an ethenet wire

I think that I can bring both PC's and just change the plugs (please correct me if im wrong) but can I bring my wireless router box thingy or are they totally different in Oz

Second question: I have a set of three cordless phones One plugs into the ntl phone box the other 2 just into the electric supply - I've looked on the back of the main unit and the wire that connects to the ntl phone box comes out so can i buy an oz version of the telephone wire and will they work?

Oh I hope this makes sense I'm confusing myself
Old Dec 25th 2005, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

ozbear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got a uk to oz pc & wireless & telephone question

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe
Ok this is my first question: I have 2 PC's - 1 pc is connected to the net via a NTL broadband box. The other is set up wireless with one of those wireless router boxes things that plugs into my ntl box via an ethenet wire

I think that I can bring both PC's and just change the plugs (please correct me if im wrong) but can I bring my wireless router box thingy or are they totally different in Oz

Second question: I have a set of three cordless phones One plugs into the ntl phone box the other 2 just into the electric supply - I've looked on the back of the main unit and the wire that connects to the ntl phone box comes out so can i buy an oz version of the telephone wire and will they work?

For Quesntion 1: As I understand, you are asking whether your Internet connection devices is suitable in OZ or not. Well...I think it depends on which OZ ISP you will choose. Some ISPs offer their own connection device to their customer, and you can not use other similar but different device to replace it. What I suggest is to directly contact some OZ ISPs for this case.

For Question 2: Although I have no idea about the type of phone plug in your country, I think you can buy the covertor easily in OZ. You may search www.dicksmith.com.au for it.
Old Dec 25th 2005, 1:11 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got a uk to oz pc & wireless & telephone question

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe

Someone may correct me but I think NTL will be through a cable modem whereas you are likely to need an ADSL modem out here (through Telstra). I don't think they are compatible. NTL didn't want ours back but then again we got a free modem / connection out here.