Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got a quote for shipping is this cheap

Wikiposts

Got a quote for shipping is this cheap

Old Apr 1st 2003, 9:22 am
Just Joined

ianwood is an unknown quantity at this point

We are going with the International Moving Company from Liverpool. They have qouted us £2700 for a full container + 2.5% of cost of items shipped for insurance.
We think that once you have decided to have some belongings shipped over you might as well go the full hog and fill a full container. We have diving equipment £2500, kiting gear £2000 so any thing else we take is ( to us) free. Its only when you tot up the little things, the cost of replacing your possesions becomes apparent, and we where in OZ we found furniture almost as expensive as in the UK.

Ian
Old Apr 4th 2003, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

geehaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got a quote for shipping is this cheap

Carrianne,

Can you tell me who you got this quote from as I have just had my first quote from GB Liners and for a full 20ft container, usual door-to-door service, with pakcing etc they are asking 3700 GBP plus 3.25% marine insurance. Waiting for Crown Relocations to get back to me and have John Mason calling next week.

Thanks,

Gee
Originally posted by Carrianne
For a shared container with Quarantine paid £2342. For 450 cubic feet

If we want our own container £2832. Thats with them packing etc

Doree Bonner

plus marine insurance at 3%

Got a much higher price of over 3k for the same things with Bishops

Any ideas if this is cheap ? reasonable or just damm expensive.

Cheers

Carrianne
Old Apr 4th 2003, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK as promised here are 3 quotes that I have had for moving from Cheshire UK to Perth with delivery quoted as within 30 mile radius of Perth.

Anglo Pacific - Not exceeding 319 cubic feet - £1346

On inventory they missed off 1 bed and 2 bed side cabinets. !!

Brittania - Not exceeding ? (they did not say) £1368

On inventory they missed off 32" tv and two bedside cabinets.

Pickfords - Not exceeding 357 cubic feet £1378

On inventory covered everything.

All were told that we may be taking television and king size waterbed with cabinets and to quote for it. When asked if the price quoted would be less if we decided to not take the items Anglo and Pickfords said price would be adjusted accordingly, Brittania suggested that although we might not take them there could be other things taht replace them so the price would balance out. Took that as a no. !!

Of the 3 Anglo were OK but I was not filled with confidence (although I have used them before). Had to email twice to arrange appointment, had to phone them after a week to get quote sent. Excuse was they are moving offices.

Brittania I was not impressed with, no idea why just a feeling I had. When asked questions reply was its all in the brochure.

Pickfords answered email very quickly and arranged visit.
I found them to be most efficent, the guy was chatty, informative and supplied quote by return of post. Also quoted as I had asked.

When they quoted 80% of packing was already done and stored in one room. I asked for crates / boxes etc. to be overwrapped and they will be packing furniture.

If you are looking for somthing to pack breakables in, I have used the big plastic crates from B&Q cost about £7ish they are excellent and great for storage at the other end. and have wheels on. !!

So hope thats of some use, I will be using Pickfords.

Chris

Last edited by karawara88; Apr 4th 2003 at 11:44 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2003, 12:16 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Hi everyone I have been waiting for a reply from PSS (my last representative visit) before replying but am still waiting - I hope from the sound of the representative who was excellent that it may be the best one however ......................

estimates received for door to door cover and customs clearance in australia. All packing and unpacking, boxes and packing equipment supplied. No bubble wrap as plastic encourages damp and mildew.

All items are listed on the customs packing form and noted whether packed by company or owner. This does not have to agree completely with the insurance form as we were advised things like books and etc do not need covering really.

We were also advsised that it is unlilkely that "in a freak storm the container would be dumped over the side" as all the containers seen on the deck of a ship are empty ones being returned the full nes ae below deck.

company insurance inc.damp 20ft container time required
Avalon 2.75% no £3,659.00 2/3 days
Bonner 3% yes £3,305.00 2 days
Mason 2.65% no £3,250.00 3 days
Bishops 2.8% yes £2,989.00 3 days
Park Int 3% no £3,682.00 2/3 days
PSS 2.5% yes ??? 2 days
Britannia 2.75% no £3,428.50 2 days

Hope this helps. This is from Surrey (going via Tilbury) to Sydney and then delivered within 60 miles of Sydney itself.

Last edited by yafm; Apr 7th 2003 at 12:13 am.
Old Apr 5th 2003, 9:38 am
Just Joined

ianwood is an unknown quantity at this point

We are using "The International Moving Company" of St Helens £2700 + 2.5%insurance. This does not include customs clearance.
It seems the closer you are to the company's home base the more reasonable the quote will be.

Ian + Carol
Old Apr 6th 2003, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

have (half intentionally!) taken job in shipping company for Oz purposes - freight only costs for 40ft container from UK to Melbourne is around £1,000.00. So shop around and think about how these companies can justify 3 grand extra for packing etc...

Best wishes
Old Apr 6th 2003, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there much involved in Customs paperwork ?
Old Apr 6th 2003, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Prestons
Hi everyone

have (half intentionally!) taken job in shipping company for Oz purposes - freight only costs for 40ft container from UK to Melbourne is around £1,000.00. So shop around and think about how these companies can justify 3 grand extra for packing etc...

Best wishes
Hi there,

Thanks for the good advice,

Do you know if it is possible to self pack and then declare at the other end,

Cheers,

Old Apr 6th 2003, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Stoney
Is there much involved in Customs paperwork ?
as far as I know every item has to be listed on packing list. Actual shipping company must log all UK exports on Customs website in generalised terms, e.g. Personal Effects. Not really too familiar as I used to be involved with imports/exports on banking side only - but quickly learning shipping side!!!
Old Apr 6th 2003, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone ever thought about getting together and sharing a container?.
Old Apr 6th 2003, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by scoobydooathome
Hi there,

Thanks for the good advice,

Do you know if it is possible to self pack and then declare at the other end,

Cheers,

can't see why not scooby - as long as each item is listed on packing list, but good idea to get advice first. maybe get shippers round for quote and pump them for ideas and info!
Old Apr 7th 2003, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

I got another quote

2035 for 450 cubic metres plus 3.74% for full cover (damp etc) insurance. This was crown relocations

No other comapany has bothered to come back to me.

Should I expect it to cost more being in Scotland? where do the boats go from ?

geehaf my first quote was with Doree Bonner.
Old Apr 8th 2003, 12:25 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Hi everyone

This morning I received the quote from PSS. It was very clear consise and itemised. Whereas the other quotes had all said door to door including port and etc charges - only thing left to pay would be immigration check costs PSS gave a price for the port handling and the journey and handling/unpacking at the other end to a specific town.

Their quote 20 ft container (everything as above) £3144. This is £155 more than the next closest (Bishops) but their insurance costs are slightly less.

HOWEVER they also noted in the letter that if I was not in a hurry they could route the shipment via the Panama canal - taking a further 2-3 weeks at a saving of £100 off that cost. The normal route takes 5-7 weeks.

Nice to get a choice particularly if you have got to find somewhere to live permanently at the other end and time is not a worry.

As i noted before both PSS and Bishops were excellent on their representative's information and assistance and I would juse either at this point.

Hope this helps anyone