Reload this Page >

Got offered a job today!NZ

Got offered a job today!NZ

Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got offered a job today!NZ

Hi everyone,

Well, a month in Auckland and I finally get the lovely job offer!!!!!!

Slight problem tho, as they would like me to start in a few weeks and I've been told by the NZIS in Auckland that it could take up to 2 months to get a work permit/visa untill I get the PR sorted. I'm on the shortage list, but not the priority list.

Anyone applied lately? And how long did it take etc.

Also have been in lovely rented house for a couple of weeks in Auckland, and the family arrived last week. Of course as soon as they arrived the weather changed to rain, wind and more rain, but the kids still insisted on getting down to the beach!!! They want bikes, inline skates, skateboards and boogie boards (?), so I better start earning soon, as I've already spent too much, buying sheepskins, TV's etc!

Love it so far, but looking forward to getting back to the real world with a job etc and then seeing how things go. Just want to settle down to life and routine, then we'll really know if we've made the right decision. BUT it's fab at the moment!

(Anyway, any advice on timelines re work visa's would be great, plus PR time lines too please. My application was lodged in March with a view to getting a jobsearch visa, but now I've got a job offer.)

Cheers
Karen

ps Everyones been really friendly here so far and very kind...big thankyou to MaryMc who has made me feel really welcome!!!!!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:43 am
Just Joined

sa11yanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got offered a job today!NZ

Although I cannot help, perhaps it would be nice to receive a

"CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!"

:PARTY:
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

MaryMc is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Simpsons
Hi everyone,

Way to go Karen!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by sa11yanne
Although I cannot help, perhaps it would be nice to receive a

"CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!"

:PARTY:
Thanks so much! I feel good today!!
Fingers crossed they'll wait for me!

Cheers
Karen
Old Oct 7th 2003, 11:28 am
Just Joined

reevsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations you lucky sod!!. I'm still waiting for a suitable job offer myself. Will probably work harder at getting an interview after xmas, if unlucky then well go on the wifes strengths as she's a nurse.
Well done anyway.
Tony
Old Oct 7th 2003, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Karen,
really, really thrilled for you on the job offer!! Sorry I can't really help re the timelines from NZ but Paula (Watt Dabney) still pops in here from time to time and she has recently applied for PR and may be better able to help you!

Glad you are enjoying family time at the moment! Bet you are really making the most of it after not seeing them all for a while! Must have been hard for you but it is paying off now isn't it?

Take care and all the best,
Old Oct 7th 2003, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great news about the job offer. I hope your work visa comes through quickly.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 5:57 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Simpsons
Hi everyone,

Slight problem tho, as they would like me to start in a few weeks and I've been told by the NZIS in Auckland that it could take up to 2 months to get a work permit/visa untill I get the PR sorted. I'm on the shortage list, but not the priority list.

Also have been in lovely rented house for a couple of weeks in Auckland, and the family arrived last week. Of course as soon as they arrived the weather changed to rain, wind and more rain, but the kids still insisted on getting down to the beach!!! They want bikes, inline skates, skateboards and boogie boards (?), so I better start earning soon, as I've already spent too much, buying sheepskins, TV's etc!

Love it so far, but looking forward to getting back to the real world with a job etc and then seeing how things go. Just want to settle down to life and routine, then we'll really know if we've made the right decision. BUT it's fab at the moment!

(Anyway, any advice on timelines re work visa's would be great, plus PR time lines too please. My application was lodged in March with a view to getting a jobsearch visa, but now I've got a job offer.)

Cheers
Karen

ps Everyones been really friendly here so far and very kind...big thankyou to MaryMc who has made me feel really welcome!!!!!

Hi,

Congrats on the job offer.
My hubby picked up a work visa over the counter at the Christchurch office. Although I have heard that its not so easy in the Auckland office maybe BritboyNZ could offer some advice on that one. We lodged our residency here through Chch on 31/5/03 and it was sent to Sydney cause they were too busy in Chch and are still waiting
Have rung a few times but I don't think it goes down very well so I don't bother anymore (got worried incase it went to the bottom of the pile each time :scared: )

Paula
Old Oct 7th 2003, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by The Simpsons
Hi everyone,

Cheers
Karen

I can almost feel your excitement...........
Old Oct 7th 2003, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

marlyn is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to re apply for my visa on arrival in Auckland as I had a "Named" visa. After standing in line for about 2 hours then waiting another 3 hours inside I was finally told that the company that wants to employ me had to prove that they had advertised the job first. So I had to take along the copy of the ad. from the NZ Herald.

I then had to have a contract of employment and a FULL job description, I also had to show the companies registration documents and the anual turnover, just to prove that they were a proper company and that they can afford to pay me. Mad isnt it???

So I collected all that together (luckily the company were very understanding) took that along with my certificates, and all the other documents required and got my visa there and then. I let them know that the company wanted me to start ASAP as they were going to make me wait 2 weeks for it!!!

Hope all this helps a little. If not Email me and Ill give you my number and you can call me for a chat.

Take care
Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

Welcome to Auckland and congrats on the job - At least the weather's slightly improved from last week and the evenings are gettng lighter !
Old Oct 8th 2003, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for the congrats and advice!!

Spoke to NZIS today and they have advised to get the PR application transferred from London to Auckland, which I have to do in writing to the London office. Plus the work visa might take about 5 weeks to get, but as you suggest, I will go to the office with all the bit's and pieces and see what they can do.

My new employer seems pretty easy going about the timescale and I might pop in to say hello to them now and again! So looks like it's a go-er!!!!

Not as much money as I'd expected, but there's a chance of some more if I work out. Hubby will have to get something soon tho as the rent we're paying is pretty high and I don't want the old struggles following me from the UK. Still got some equity left in the bank, but really dont want to break into it any more as the house prices here in Auckland seem to be getting higher.

Anyway, thanks again everyone, and if I can check out anything here for anyone, give me a shout!

Cheers
Karen
x