Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got offer for ICT, some suggestions?

Got offer for ICT, some suggestions?

Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

randb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got offer for ICT, some suggestions?

Hi fellas, I got an ICT job offer for 100ish a year plus some minor benefits like 457 for 4 years, relocation and superann...
Now, based on the fact that I am 30 and I will take my wife with me and that the company is in Sydney, how worst is the offer?
Feasible to a good lifestyle (vacation to europe 1 a year, car, windsurfing, dinner on Friday outside) or will I be miserable in Sydney?
Cheers
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:52 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Got offer for ICT, some suggestions?

LOT of variables missing in this equation:

How much will the wife earn in her job?
How long are you prepared to commute?
How much space do you need to live in?

...FWIW, I'd suggest that $100k for 2 people in sydney is going to be tough - and your chances of managing to afford a european vacation every year are slim. Having said that its a while since I lived 'kid free' so perhaps the savings made by living in small accomodation and not bleeding money on rugrats would make it viable?...
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:12 am
Just Joined

Cyprus Girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by randb
Hi fellas, I got an ICT job offer for 100ish a year plus some minor benefits like 457 for 4 years, relocation and superann...
Now, based on the fact that I am 30 and I will take my wife with me and that the company is in Sydney, how worst is the offer?
Feasible to a good lifestyle (vacation to europe 1 a year, car, windsurfing, dinner on Friday outside) or will I be miserable in Sydney?
Cheers
Hi,
I am also looking for ICT employment do you mind me asking how you got the job offer?
Thanks
Angie
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DadAgain
LOT of variables missing in this equation:

How much will the wife earn in her job?
How long are you prepared to commute?
How much space do you need to live in?

...FWIW, I'd suggest that $100k for 2 people in sydney is going to be tough - and your chances of managing to afford a european vacation every year are slim. Having said that its a while since I lived 'kid free' so perhaps the savings made by living in small accomodation and not bleeding money on rugrats would make it viable?...
I know, tons of factors. Honestly it seems to me not a big deal. Here in US I get 150K a year plus insurance and other benefits. It seems that in OZ with a 457, they do not even pay your insurance .. :thumb down:
Honestly we live in a 3 bedrooms cottage right now and I am not going to move to Oz for a small apartment and saving 1K at month if I am lucky. I believe less than 150K won't be a good deal for me.
Thanks for the advice, you just confirmed the smell I felt.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

I know, tons of factors. Honestly it seems to me not a big deal. Here in US I get 150K a year plus insurance and other benefits. It seems that in OZ with a 457, they do not even pay your insurance .. :thumb down:
Honestly we live in a 3 bedrooms cottage right now and I am not going to move to Oz for a small apartment and saving 1K at month if I am lucky. I believe less than 150K won't be a good deal for me.
Thanks for the advice, you just confirmed the smell I felt.
with the 1:1 exchange rate at the moment and Australian numerical pricing of items, you would probably be horrified with the numerical cost of things over here.

I would imagine that 150k US would be an excellent wage for living in the states. Its probably akin (cost of living wise) to well over 200k here.

If I were you, unless the draw to australia is overwhelming, I'd stay put.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:07 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

If wife works and you rent it is possible. Ifi you want to buy ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Cheers
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
No idea if the offer is commensurate with your experience obviously, I am not in ICT but work in the city in a finance team and $100k is about the entry level for a team member.

Of course it is possible to survive on this salary but I don't think it would provide a good lifestyle with European holidays every year. Your current $k in USA would probably provide a better lifestyle and greater chance of regular trips to Europe. Stay put.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

It sounds strange to me. Here I am a senior and I have 10 years of proven experience and for my role the average is between 120/170 and I am on 150 with big bonus so I am sure I have a nice position here.
In Oz I am sure in ICT, my position, is paid between 120/170 either so I believe the employer is trying to squeeze me in the offer. They didn't even offer the LAFHA?
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 8:47 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Find a less stingy employer. The non mining sectors here are struggling.

It sounds strange to me. Here I am a senior and I have 10 years of proven experience and for my role the average is between 120/170 and I am on 150 with big bonus so I am sure I have a nice position here.
In Oz I am sure in ICT, my position, is paid between 120/170 either so I believe the employer is trying to squeeze me in the offer. They didn't even offer the LAFHA?
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

I got it ...