Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got my visa and i'm all ready...

Got my visa and i'm all ready...

Old Apr 18th 2009, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

pinkyjason is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got my visa and i'm all ready...

Hi just a little bit of advice needed really. I've tried reading other comments and speaking with friends has been a real down turn. I met my partner when he was here over in the UK and seemed to hit it off really well, so when his visa ended I ended up in Australi for 12 months on a WHM visa.

Things grew even more so on my return to the UK (I wasn't aware at the time they could temporarily extend my visa - RAGE!) I applied for the interdependancy visa. I've recently been accepted for the temporary visa until the 2 year aopplication is approved. It's exactly what i've been waiting for for months, however this is my dilemma...

Did you have any moments of "What am I doing?". I mean I've wanted this for the past year or so without a doubt in my mind. But now I've been made an officia offer on my flat, sold my car and started arranging everything to be closed, even handed in my notice in work, ready for my big move it's all just seemed to hit me all of a sudden. I can't wait to spend (hopefully) the rest of my life with my partner but did anyone else ever have and thoughts in the back of their mind??

What are your thoughts? Your help would be happily appreciated.. Jay
Old Apr 18th 2009, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future
Default Re: Got my visa and i'm all ready...

Good luck mate, its normal to have these kind of thoughts - its a big step, move! Its never easy to close the chapter and open new one! You have lived in Oz so its gonna be easy...

I have just paid a lawyer today to start my application...and hope to get it really fast!

How long did it take for you to receive your visa?/
Old Apr 18th 2009, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

I was quite lucky I got a reply from my case worker after 4 months, but we put loads into our application. I was quite lucky because when I was in Melbourne we shared everything so had a lot of proof from the UK and Australia.

My mum thinks that having these thoughts so soon before travelling is a case of cold feet but I don't think it is?
Old Apr 18th 2009, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

MeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant futureMeinMel has a brilliant future

Well, I think its a big decision, moving faaaaar away from family, friends, country...

I honestly is not unusual... And remember, you can always return!! There is a way back just in case things dont work out..

We are planning to move to Melbourne, too but we may well move somewhere else few years down the road. So good luck mate...

Chin up, I am sure once you have settled back in Mel, you won't have any of those thoughts
Old Apr 18th 2009, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is perfectly normal & most people have moments of 'what the hell are we doing???'
You are moving your life to the other side of the world & it is a huge step. However, you need to remind yourself of why you are moving! Talk to your partner & I am sure you will get all the encouragement you need!
Loads of luck
Old Apr 18th 2009, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Sally...

Yeah I tried that and I got a nervous giggle... hard trying to have an in depth conversation over the ophone haha!

I seriously can't wait to move but I keep getting these small thoughts thinking "eeeek" oh well I think that will all change when I'm on the plane

Thanks
Old Apr 18th 2009, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkyjason
Cheers Sally...

Yeah I tried that and I got a nervous giggle... hard trying to have an in depth conversation over the ophone haha!

I seriously can't wait to move but I keep getting these small thoughts thinking "eeeek" oh well I think that will all change when I'm on the plane

Thanks
Yes, you will be fine once you are on the plane
Old Apr 18th 2009, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

aglassofwinehelps is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree - completely normal.

My OH left the UK on Wed and is now in Melbourne. I wasn't brave enough to give up my job, sell the house and my car (he sold his) and uproot the family etc just in case he doesn't manage to find work.

Now he is there, generally, I am far more optimistic and ready to go but then come 11pm, Nope, I get the 'what have we done' feelings!

We did a reccie to Melbourne and Sydney recently and loved Melbourne. Within weeks of coming back I wanted to return, so did he. Oh gave up a very very (extra very,just in case you don't know how good ) job. Then it seemed that everything went tits up, economy crashed, recession was made official, sterling to dollar bombed. We were too far into the process to not give it a go so here we are.

If you didn't feel the way you do right now then you should be worried. It's a huge thing to do. Personally I think it's quite an emotional process. Good luck and let us know how things pan out once you're there.