Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Got my Positive hat on today!

Got my Positive hat on today!

Old Nov 15th 2003, 2:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Got my Positive hat on today!

Well, been here 2 weeks tomorrow, so for the benefit of those who haven't made it here yet, I thought I'd try and list some of the stuff I love/dislike so far! This is a purely personal point of view - I don't want it to influence anyone's decision to come or not come.....!

I like -
Cathay Pacific, certainly 10 out of 10 in the airline stakes.
The sunshine - even with sun protection and sleeves, its nice to be warm and feel the sun
Aussie Beer, chocolate, Life Savers, fresh fruit
Re-runs of Prisoner Cell Block H on UKTV
Being able to go for long walks in the parkland without worrying about muggers/dog dirt/freezing to death
Lizards running across the path, kookaburras shreiking outside the window
Everyone has been really helpful so far (except a taxi driver who was convinced I was a kiwi and so said he didn't want to know me!") Medicare, banks, Post Office (helped me connect the internet), chemist shops helping to match UK products to Oz ones, guy at the station helping me work out where and how to get places, next door neighbour (long-time Expat)
People are interested as well - How long are you here, oh wow you're here to stay, where from, why, - even if its a front they SOUND interested.
Recycling - a whole wheelie bin provided per household
The fact you get your post left in a mailbox like the US ones - and no-one steals it!!!
Clothes - there was a thread about finding it hard to get small-sized clothes; being a 14-16, I think its great. Few places in the UK had decent clothes my size that fitted and felt comfortable. here I'm spoilt for choice.
The fact you can put your clothes on the line and they don't get pinched, they also dry in an hour or so
The whole way of life - its so relaxed, so much more cheerful than my bit of the UK was.

Some of the dislikes -
The range of cheese in the supermarkets - must find somewhere better, I'm sure theres better stuff here somewhere.
Trying to find my old favourites that I would shop for - small frozen pizzas, jars of garlic mayonnaise, glass clip frames (you know, the cheap ones with just glass and a backboard, large birthday cards (they all seem to be standard sized cos its cheaper to post), for example!
No job yet
You don't get a doctor to register with, so ongoing treatment must be a bit difficult, having to tell the story over and over again.
TFN number issued wrong - have to ring the idiots next week
Sunday papers - give me the Times anyday
TV - its mostly rubbish, the only channels I find I watch are on Foxtel - UKTV and Hallmark (Aussie dramas like Police Rescue)
No post delivery on Saturday
Lack of letter boxes - so when it rains and the envelopes don't fit in your little box on the front lawn you get soggy post! Wish I'd got a PO Box number now.
The way people think you're nuts cos you don't drive. I lived in the UK - too fast,too many cars, why would I want to drive.OK I'll learn here, but in the meantime stop treating me like an alien!

Well thats a bit to be going on with. I expect to get ripped to shreds by people for all sorts of reasons, and I realise my ideas wil probably change, but so far, so good.

Sorry, but even without my rose-tinted specs on, I've decided I'll stay.........!
Old Nov 15th 2003, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

very good new Pollyanna, very glad that you feel positive about your move and heres to you feeling that way forever

take care and all the best
booboo
Old Nov 15th 2003, 2:58 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hope yours eventually goes as well Booboo! Many thanks,
Old Nov 15th 2003, 3:35 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Pollyanna,

It seems a shame that you think you will get ripped to shreds for your post, do you think you will be criticised for your positive or negative posts or both?!!

It seems to me you are just describing the differences you have found in your first couple of weeks, nothing outrageous in that.

Good luck with the job hunting
Old Nov 15th 2003, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got my Positive hat on today!

Originally posted by Pollyana
Well, been here 2 weeks tomorrow, so for the benefit of those who haven't made it here yet, I thought I'd try and list some of the stuff I love/dislike so far! This is a purely personal point of view - I don't want it to influence anyone's decision to come or not come.....!

I like -
Cathay Pacific, certainly 10 out of 10 in the airline stakes.
The sunshine - even with sun protection and sleeves, its nice to be warm and feel the sun
Aussie Beer, chocolate, Life Savers, fresh fruit
Re-runs of Prisoner Cell Block H on UKTV
Being able to go for long walks in the parkland without worrying about muggers/dog dirt/freezing to death
Lizards running across the path, kookaburras shreiking outside the window
Everyone has been really helpful so far (except a taxi driver who was convinced I was a kiwi and so said he didn't want to know me!") Medicare, banks, Post Office (helped me connect the internet), chemist shops helping to match UK products to Oz ones, guy at the station helping me work out where and how to get places, next door neighbour (long-time Expat)
People are interested as well - How long are you here, oh wow you're here to stay, where from, why, - even if its a front they SOUND interested.
Recycling - a whole wheelie bin provided per household
The fact you get your post left in a mailbox like the US ones - and no-one steals it!!!
Clothes - there was a thread about finding it hard to get small-sized clothes; being a 14-16, I think its great. Few places in the UK had decent clothes my size that fitted and felt comfortable. here I'm spoilt for choice.
The fact you can put your clothes on the line and they don't get pinched, they also dry in an hour or so
The whole way of life - its so relaxed, so much more cheerful than my bit of the UK was.

Some of the dislikes -
The range of cheese in the supermarkets - must find somewhere better, I'm sure theres better stuff here somewhere.
Trying to find my old favourites that I would shop for - small frozen pizzas, jars of garlic mayonnaise, glass clip frames (you know, the cheap ones with just glass and a backboard, large birthday cards (they all seem to be standard sized cos its cheaper to post), for example!
No job yet
You don't get a doctor to register with, so ongoing treatment must be a bit difficult, having to tell the story over and over again.
TV - its mostly rubbish, the only channels I find I watch are on Foxtel - UKTV and Hallmark (Aussie dramas like Police Rescue)
Lack of letter boxes - so when it rains and the envelopes don't fit in your little box on the front lawn you get soggy post! Wish I'd got a PO Box number now.
The way people think you're nuts cos you don't drive. I lived in the UK - too fast,too many cars, why would I want to drive.OK I'll learn here, but in the meantime stop treating me like an alien!

Well thats a bit to be going on with. I expect to get ripped to shreds by people for all sorts of reasons, and I realise my ideas wil probably change, but so far, so good.

Sorry, but even without my rose-tinted specs on, I've decided I'll stay.........!
Great post Poll
Great to see you're settling in well!
Old Nov 15th 2003, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Argh Larissa ... what song is your signature from - it's bugging me like crazy just now!!!
Old Nov 15th 2003, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CHnJ
Argh Larissa ... what song is your signature from - it's bugging me like crazy just now!!!
Theme tune to Red Dwarf!
Old Nov 15th 2003, 6:38 am
WBB

Originally posted by CHnJ

red dwarf, google is a wondeful thing.

Old Nov 15th 2003, 6:39 am
WBB

do'h

Old Nov 15th 2003, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by welshboybilly
do'h
Hope you didn't do that at your med!
Old Nov 15th 2003, 6:45 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Pollyanna,
Nice to hear you're settling in well. Keeps me positive about it all.

Vicky
Old Nov 15th 2003, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally posted by welshboybilly
red dwarf, google is a wondeful thing.

Ah! There was me thinking Morcheeba? no, Katrina and the Waves? no ... It must be a song I like alot to recognise it so well ... I knew I had no taste : )
Old Nov 15th 2003, 7:10 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got my Positive hat on today!

Originally posted by Pollyana
Some of the dislikes -
No job yet
Lets go though these shall we?

Cheeses - nope, you wont get better, what you see is what you get, its one of my biggest gripes too, I wish we had more decent cheese! LOL

Small frozen pizzas - ummmmm they should be in the frozen section of the supermarket? Unless they are something different to the standard stuff that you buy?

Garlic Mayo you should get in the supermarkets, look for Hellmans brand, they have some different ones, I have a chilli & lime of theirs. Otherwise Aioli is available at plenty of markets with homemade jams etc.

Glass clip frames you should be able to get from Crazy Clarks or any of the $2 shops I've bought them there in the past.

Large b/day cards - ditto, although they arent as popular now as they were a few years ago, so may be harder to find.

Job - sorry!

Doctor - not having to register makes it easier! You can pick who you want to go to & just keep going there, if you dont like them you can change & they will send your file to the new doc. Easy peasy . But it also means that if you cant see one doctor for whatever reason eg they are too busy/shut etc, you can go see anyone!

TFN - idiots are idiots & they work for the govt & big business everywhere the world over

Letterboxes - Get the Bloke to buy a new bigger one from work! Anyway, it never rains here, dunno what you mean about the mail getting wet .

Mail delivery on Sat - Bloody hell dont you get enough bills during the week, you want MORE on Saturdays as well? LOL . Be happy, Saturday deliveries will start up in a couple of weeks in the lead up to xmas .

Papers- dont read em! TV - dont watch it! So I will take your word that they are crap - oh yeah hang on, thats why I dont read them or watch it

Lastly, being treated like an alien because you dont drive. Are you sure you're not treated like an alien because you're a pom?

Glad that overall you've decided to stay .
Old Nov 15th 2003, 7:33 am
Home and Happy

Thanks Mrs D, very good! I'll pursue the Hellman's and small pizzas - have to sneak into a different supermarket when the Bloke's at work!
Bills - don't get bills, they go to my mate in the UK who shreds them for me!
Things like the doctor are just odd, I'll get used to them.
As for being an alien cos I'm a Pom (like to hear Dagboy's views actually!) - they are fine till I say I don't drive, then I get these real sympathetic looks, as if its a major deficiency! I can fly a plane, who cares about driving!!!
Thanks for the welcome - and the Bloke is also quite pleased I've decided to stay!!!!
Old Nov 15th 2003, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

poll you forgot the most important reason why you love oz the bloke

arlene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.