Reload this Page >

Got me a badass 4WD!

Got me a badass 4WD!

Old Sep 21st 2003, 6:42 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got me a badass 4WD!

Yep, took 3 days but I got there in the end. 1996 Toyota Surf SSG, that`s the one with all the bolt ons like altimeter and mirror for reversing etc. 3 litre diesel, looks in excellent condition (55000 kms) - but the dealers here did tell me that the import requirements for NZ are pretty hot plus they make the imports look clean too (ie scratches buffed away etc). So quite pleased with myself. NZD22500 on the road, ie incl registration.

Could have saved 15-20% by buying at auction but nothing good coming up here in Christchurch plus knowing me I`d have ended up buying a lemon and this way I do at least get a mechanical warranty.

Might not be your idea of a badass 4WD but it`s quite a step for me! Rejected Prado and Landcruiser on consumption/ higher purchase cost but there were quite a few around. Someone reassure me it was an OK deal!!!
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Hi welcome to the forum

Oh yeah I remember you. Great news to hear about your car, we are relying on you to post back lots of useful info like this from the 'other side'

It sounds like a good deal to me, but then what do I know I am a mere female
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:07 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got me a badass 4WD!

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Yep, took 3 days but I got there in the end. 1996 Toyota Surf SSG, that`s the one with all the bolt ons like altimeter and mirror for reversing etc. 3 litre diesel, looks in excellent condition (55000 kms) - but the dealers here did tell me that the import requirements for NZ are pretty hot plus they make the imports look clean too (ie scratches buffed away etc). So quite pleased with myself. NZD22500 on the road, ie incl registration.

Could have saved 15-20% by buying at auction but nothing good coming up here in Christchurch plus knowing me I`d have ended up buying a lemon and this way I do at least get a mechanical warranty.

Might not be your idea of a badass 4WD but it`s quite a step for me! Rejected Prado and Landcruiser on consumption/ higher purchase cost but there were quite a few around. Someone reassure me it was an OK deal!!!
Watch out for your kiddies before you reverse over them.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Don,

Sorry haven't a blue clue about the car thing but just to say glad to hear you have arrived safely in Christchurch and are getting your new life on track (no pun intended) already!! Did everything else go to plan with no hitches etc.

Please keep in touch when you can and I'm sure some of the blokes will be queuing up to give a macho opinion of your new toy!!
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

This will put me in everyones bad books, but dont buy a Surf in OZ. (Don is in NZ not OZ) There is some big problem with the OZ public accepting the Jap revamps. Now the Surfs are hard as hell to get rid of. There is also a Nissan Terrano, with same problem, dealers here dont want to touch them.

Before you buy anything out here, ask us lot if anyone has any knowledge of the particular vehicle. Others here not imports but ones that did not take off are the Renault Scenic, Kia anything....
Mitsubish Outlander seems to be on special a lot too.

Cars that OZ accept well are Toyota as long as its not the import revamp, Holden, Falcon, although mates 6 months old falcon is off road for a new motor. Honda.

Watch car dealers and RE agents, they know your straight off the boat, cashed up and over the moon, and without the local knowledge. RE kings here sold my mates a house on the "Park", that now has a housing development right behind them. They raved about how friendly this agent was to them, now they know why.

As for the sunshine coast, any worries, contact me, I'll sift through the bullshit pretty quick.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:30 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by tinaj
Hi welcome to the forum

It sounds like a good deal to me, but then what do I know I am a mere female

Yeah..what do you know wench.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:33 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by dotty
This will put me in everyones bad books, but dont buy a Surf in OZ. (Don is in NZ not OZ) There is some big problem with the OZ public accepting the Jap revamps. Now the Surfs are hard as hell to get rid of. There is also a Nissan Terrano, with same problem, dealers here dont want to touch them.

Before you buy anything out here, ask us lot if anyone has any knowledge of the particular vehicle. Others here not imports but ones that did not take off are the Renault Scenic, Kia anything....
Mitsubish Outlander seems to be on special a lot too.

Cars that OZ accept well are Toyota as long as its not the import revamp, Holden, Falcon, although mates 6 months old falcon is off road for a new motor. Honda.

Watch car dealers and RE agents, they know your straight off the boat, cashed up and over the moon, and without the local knowledge. RE kings here sold my mates a house on the "Park", that now has a housing development right behind them. They raved about how friendly this agent was to them, now they know why.

As for the sunshine coast, any worries, contact me, I'll sift through the bullshit pretty quick.
Firstly, you're in most of the punters' bad books anyway, so you're too late on that one.
Secondly, thank you, I found this post very informative.(for a girl)
Old Sep 21st 2003, 9:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Don & family! Welcome back!! You weren't gone as long as you threatened to be then..... hope you will catch up on the threads that have been runnin in your absence - some rather good literary efforts over the last few days (tee hee, poor old badgers!)
Old Sep 21st 2003, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Shaz&Phil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jap Imports

Hi Folks
Reading the posts about jap imports, i'll throw my lot in (for what it's worth). We're still in uk and i drive a Toyota Soarer (jap import). The prejudices against imports is here also. It's worth noting that as a toyota the parts are pretty straight forward to get. I'm torn between taking mine or selling it.They're available no probs in OZ, but i imagine they are of interest only to those who know about them!!! This site has loads of people who are prepared to have a go at something different( Emmigrate)!!!
therefore the prejudices of people who don't know and don't want to know about other options in life shouldn't prevent us having a go ourselves! The 4WD Surf looks an excellent car and if we make it to OZ, i will be checking out the import 4WD's.
There are quite a few companies importing but take your time, do your homework and give it a go.
Any civil engineers out there? We hope to get the go ahead oct/nov but it's waiting time again!!!!!
Cheers
Phil
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

thanks for that info Dotty,will take you up on that offer of advice later in the year
donna
Old Sep 21st 2003, 9:00 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

wether or not its an import really is neither here nor there.Theyre all assembled in Japan using the same technology(pre 1983 Hilux in NZ were assembled here in NZ)Who you buy from is another can of worms and you take your chances,but on the whole an import will be nearly the same as a designated design.Any Toyota bought in Australasia shares the same build line as Africa spec!All the import stigma is caused by the official dealers trying to stop their margins been erroded.The UK is famous for trying to say imports are totally different,because it costs them huge numbers of sales.Granted there are models that do not appear in certain countries but parts are easy to source (if a dealer wanted to) and there is nothing anymore difficult about repairing an import than a UK or Austalasian model.As for makes,well theres good and bad about every type,none of them are perfect,but its pretty safe to say for reliability of 4x4s Toyota are in the top few along with Nissan and Mitsubishi with Land Rover in the bottom along with Ford and Holden(Vauxhall)
Having spent a long time working in the development and competition side of the 4x4 motor industry globally i can assure you that most of what is fed to customers is what suits the dealers and foremost the manufactures......and people think real estate agents are sharks
A good purchase by the description,doubt you will have any problems on the whole,just don't skimp on oil/filter changes....every 5000k maximum as they don't have the best filter system and the diesel here has larger quantities of sulpher which basically makes your oil go dirty.....
Old Sep 21st 2003, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by deedee
wether or not its an import really is neither here nor there.Theyre all assembled in Japan using the same technology(pre 1983 Hilux in NZ were assembled here in NZ)Who you buy from is another can of worms and you take your chances,but on the whole an import will be nearly the same as a designated design.Any Toyota bought in Australasia shares the same build line as Africa spec!All the import stigma is caused by the official dealers trying to stop their margins been erroded.The UK is famous for trying to say imports are totally different,because it costs them huge numbers of sales.Granted there are models that do not appear in certain countries but parts are easy to source (if a dealer wanted to) and there is nothing anymore difficult about repairing an import than a UK or Austalasian model.As for makes,well theres good and bad about every type,none of them are perfect,but its pretty safe to say for reliability of 4x4s Toyota are in the top few along with Nissan and Mitsubishi with Land Rover in the bottom along with Ford and Holden(Vauxhall)
Having spent a long time working in the development and competition side of the 4x4 motor industry globally i can assure you that most of what is fed to customers is what suits the dealers and foremost the manufactures......and people think real estate agents are sharks
A good purchase by the description,doubt you will have any problems on the whole,just don't skimp on oil/filter changes....every 5000k maximum as they don't have the best filter system and the diesel here has larger quantities of sulpher which basically makes your oil go dirty.....

It becomes very relevant when you cant sell the bloody thing when you want to get rid of it! All the above is useless if nobody will trade it in, or buy it.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 11:11 pm
owieb

Originally posted by pleasancefamily

Top Choice!

We got a 1996 Surf SSR-G (3.4L Petrol) and it is a fantastic car, you won't be disappointed.

Old Sep 22nd 2003, 1:41 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Regarding imports.. a lot of the larger insurance companies will not insure imports. I had to phone around a good few before I could find one which would insure mine (I have an imported 4 wheel drive). If you look at the online insurance companies here (a lot of them have quick quotes) put in the model of your car.. you'll find that hell a lot of them do not insure imports. That's the bad crack about imports. But the good news ... there are insurance companies that will insure them.. just means you're limited to choice that's all.

Stupid really, ... when I know one of the car models here in Aus.. some of it's main parts are interchangeable with my car. As for selling an import.. no prob with mine at all, there's a market for my type of model.. especially in Sydney where they (my model) are hard to come by.. you're getting buyers from Sydney buying the odd one which comes up for sale in other states.

Good Second hand 4 wheel drives do hold their money here, whether they are imports or re badged Aus ones

Some advice I can give know your prices... scour the second hand adverts (trading post and the courier mail small adds, also can't remember which Mag it was.. but one of the car mags here have a pull out booklet/guide giving you all the prices of the cars from trade prices to retail).. then go to an auction. Do not pay top dollar from a second hand shark. Also go to the week auctions.. not the weekend ones where the prices will finish higher.. too many private buyers on the weekend ones, and a lot of duffs.. i.e people buying cars in the week, deciding they did not like it, then putting it through the Saturdays auctions... getting more money for it) . In the week you're only bidding against the second hand car sharks.

Anyway irregardless of whether it is an import or an "Aus" one they do hold their money.. and you will be able to re sell it again as long as it's a desirable model. I can't comment on NZ, but personally I have found no prob here in Aus with the re selling of an import as long as it has a "following".

Cheers

P.S
I have a mate (well not really a mate.. a friend of a friend, I just know him to talk to) who owns a couple of hummers.. he repairs them, and sells the odd one (also rents out to film crews)... can't get enough business.. rushed of his feet. Too dear for me though.. I've got my eye on them though (much to hubbys horror) ..lol. He has one which is an ex army.. with the gun holders the lot... Just what you need for driving in Aus traffic..lol.... "get out of my way.... I'm coming through" ... I want one!
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

www.carpoint.com.au

or

www.redbook.com.au

Will give you plenty of info on car prices, take into account tho the price is recommended. Not gospel you are actually going to get that amount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.